Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

A year has passed since 5D Mark II launch ???

Man time flies, and I see faster for you than me as November 2008 was merely 6 months ago:

Canon Camera Museum | Camera Hall - Digital SLR

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
What Pentax should do is to devote their time to releasing as bug-free and high quality of a camera as they can. If they want to do a firmware after this that adds more features to the camera I'll be ecstatic.

I'm happy for Canon users that they finally got their concerns listened to -- it has been one year after launch after all. I think the Aperture control is the most important of the three options as far as practical creativity is concerned, so I'm not too worried about it. I don't think Canon is going to come out with a firmware patch anytime soon that gives Image Stabilization to video with any lens.

05-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Wouldn't this rule out the Canon 5D II?
+1 for pentax then
05-27-2009, 08:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Man time flies, and I see faster for you than me as November 2008 was merely 6 months ago:

Canon Camera Museum | Camera Hall - Digital SLR
Hah, I stand corrected. In my defense, following these products from rumor to announcement to launch on forums does give a rather skewed sense of time.
05-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Wasted? Why would some people dismiss any features they have no use themselves? This type of camera cater to many different needs of various users. No one has the use of all the features provided. I personally would never use the PC-Sync terminal or a battery grip. But I fully understand some other users would find them very useful; and I would not never call those features as "wasting resources". And as you can see from various threads, some users are genuinely excited about the video capability of K-7!
I accept that my original comment was a little harsh and dismissive. It's something that I may even use myself on occasion (I do on my P&S).

I will wait for the camera to be released before deciding on whether it's a worthwhile product or not.

05-27-2009, 11:52 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Despite the fact I often ranted against video, I was overstating it a bit.

It's not like getting video on a DSLR would've been that hard; I imagine there's a factory in Malaysia cranking out HD encoders in twenty-pin IC now for twenty cents a pop.

For two grand, I ain't complaining, though if you're relying on this thing to make a full-length feature, you're probably wasting your time, as you would be with any video DSLR.
05-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
I accept that my original comment was a little harsh and dismissive. It's something that I may even use myself on occasion (I do on my P&S).

I will wait for the camera to be released before deciding on whether it's a worthwhile product or not.
I don't think it was inappropriately harsh and dismissive. Anyone who honestly bases their "what digital SLR camera should I buy" decision based on video capabilities is like choosing a car that floats because you like to go boating. As someone once said, "Use the right tool." If video is what you want to shoot, buy a video camera. That said, I understand the keeping-up-with-the-Joneses thinking behind adding the limited video "capability" to the K7 for "check the box in the comparison with competitors" marketing BS. Now, I'd like to see them turn that same mentality of recognizing what the competition offers by FINALLY producing a Full Frame dSLR camera with similar attention to quality and content!
05-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
As someone once said, "Use the right tool." If video is what you want to shoot, buy a video camera.
The problem is that if you want to shoot video with shallow DOF and interchangeable lenses, it would cost you $$$$$ to buy a video camera with such capability. And that's the main reason why some people with these specific needs find DSLR so attractive. Plus the low light capability is better and the sensor much larger than most video cameras.

For these people, DSLR IS the right tool.
OTOH, general consumer won't find DSLR's video feature as user friendly as consumer camcorder.

QuoteQuote:
adding the limited video "capability" to the K7 for "check the box in the comparison with competitors" marketing BS.
You obviously don't care about video and you haven't paid much attention to it. FYI, unlike K20D's Live View, K-7's video is looking pretty good on paper, and exceeds those of many other DSLRs - particularly aperture control and external MIC. It looks like a well thought out implementation, and not some "marketing BS".
05-29-2009, 03:08 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
I don't think it was inappropriately harsh and dismissive. Anyone who honestly bases their "what digital SLR camera should I buy" decision based on video capabilities is like choosing a car that floats because you like to go boating. As someone once said, "Use the right tool." If video is what you want to shoot, buy a video camera. That said, I understand the keeping-up-with-the-Joneses thinking behind adding the limited video "capability" to the K7 for "check the box in the comparison with competitors" marketing BS. Now, I'd like to see them turn that same mentality of recognizing what the competition offers by FINALLY producing a Full Frame dSLR camera with similar attention to quality and content!
Well that is where I was coming from - there are features that aren't included that I would have like to see (built in geo-tagging for example) but I guess many people would reject that as a gimmick just as video is for me.

There does seem to be a change of mentality now that Pentax are doing video, when the D90 was released many, many people dismissed it as a gimmick - now it seems to be the greatest idea ever.

06-02-2009, 08:01 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
Well that is where I was coming from - there are features that aren't included that I would have like to see (built in geo-tagging for example) but I guess many people would reject that as a gimmick just as video is for me.

There does seem to be a change of mentality now that Pentax are doing video, when the D90 was released many, many people dismissed it as a gimmick - now it seems to be the greatest idea ever.
The problem here is that the critical components of a video recording system are:
Optics
Sensor
Image Processor
Storage

*all of these are already in place on a DSLR* - The only hardware that needs to be added is a microphone jack for audio. This is negligible in cost and size/weight. In fact, in some of the specifications it indicated that the K-7 would be recording Motion JPEG and not AVC video. This reduces the amount of work Pentax would have to do to add video to any camera even further. All the parts are there, they just have to glue them together. It costs almost nothing and gains a huge amount that can't be added to the camera after the fact.

In-camera geotagging, on the other hand, simply doesn't make sense to add to the K-7.
1) It's a metal body, this complicates antenna placement.
2) GPS receiver chipsets have dropped a lot in price and size/weight, but they are still incredibly costly and large/heavy compared to a tiny little mic jack.
3) GPS receiver chipsets go obsolete FAST. The venerable SiRF III that was king of the hill 2 years ago has since been eclipsed twice (MTK and MTK v2 chipsets). This obsolescence will be driven even more in the next few years by the GPS Modernization Program - What do you do if you want the extra accuracy when L2C goes hot? You're SOL if your GPS receiver is built into the camera.

Tethering to an external receiver has its own issues:
1) Proprietary connector
2) Your receiver is now tied to your camera by a cable
3) What if you have multiple cameras, or your girlfriend/spouse/kids have cameras and you want their photos to be geotagged?

Both approaches have other issues:
1) You only have previous navigation data at the time the shutter is clicked. You don't have "future position" for the purposes of position interpolation. When correlating photos after the fact with a saved log, you have "future position" compared to the photo's time taken in order to permit interpolation.
2) It's impossible to add video "after the fact" to a camera as a third-party accessory (except by buying a separate video camera which will be similar to the DSLR in size, weight, and cost in order to achieve comparable image quality). It's easy (and see my arguments above for why it might even be the *superior* solution) to add "after the fact" geotagging with a cheap standalone logger

I now geotag all of my outdoor photos, but I would never want (or use) automatic in-camera geotagging - it's simply an inferior solution for the reasons stated above.
06-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Canon just released yet another firmware upgrade for 5D Mark II : June 2-09

Better late than never?

HD Dslrs are evolving after issue and as with k-7 prior to release. Good Times

"Latest 5D Mk2 news and information
2009 June

2nd Firmware V1.1.0 is out and we've already had a number of positive reports.

It incorporates the following improvements and fixes.
Includes a function to enable the manual exposure setting when shooting movies.
When shooting movies in manual (M) mode, the shutter speed *1, the lens aperture value *2, and the ISO speed *3 can be freely set to allow a greater flexibility.
Notes:
*1 Shutter speed range: 1/30 sec. to 1/4000 sec.
*2 Lens aperture range: Maximum to minimum aperture value of the lens used
*3 ISO speed range:
Auto: ISO 100 to 6400 set automatically
Manual: ISO 100 to 6400, H1
Disables the function of the depth-of-field preview button when images are played back or when the menu screen is displayed on the LCD panel.
Fixes a phenomenon where the peripheral illumination of images cannot be properly corrected, even if the images were captured with the lens peripheral illumination correction function set to Enable.
*Digital Photo Professional software version 3.6.1 or later (for Windows and Macintosh) can be used to automatically correct the peripheral illumination of RAW and JPEG images that were captured in the Peripheral illumination correction setting with cameras that have Firmware Version 1.0.7 or earlier.
Fixes the algorithms of the Auto Lighting Optimizer function when Custom Function C.Fn II-3 Highlight tone priority is enabled.
Fixes incorrect indications on the Arabic, Romanian, Spanish, and Ukrainian menu screens.
Changes the battery information displayed on the camera when using the optional Battery Grip BG-E6.

"June 1st We've been sent a link to a collection of underwater 5D2 images and video" ,

click on pix to see steaming video shot underwater with 5D Mark II:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cedricsaveus/3575481222/

Flickr: cedricsaveus' Photostream

Pulled from:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d2_3d_7d.html

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
Good timing from Canon to announce a video upgrade to their Monster.
full manual control of the 5D MKII in video. A response to Panasonics dedicated video masterpiece.
Perhaps we can coax Pentax into doing the same for us.
I have pressed John C Pentax at DPreview forums to explain why the AF is being switched off in the production unit of the K-7 when it was clearly usable before. I was thinking a form of petition would be best for this, if we do not get a response to why. But also full manual should be possible as this was possible in the 21FPS burst mode in the K20D.... or have I got that wrong.

Anyway. We know Pentax listen, perhaps they can gift us this one last thing on the almost perfect K-7. Just like we got more controls on the K10D.
Oh, and remote assistance might be nice .

Last edited by Samsungian; 06-02-2009 at 10:03 AM.
06-15-2009, 05:30 AM   #26
Banned

Canon ad for EOS 5D Mark II Firmware Upgrade

06-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #27
Forum Member

What should Pentax do? Weep. It's latest camera, yet to have even been released, is aready obsolete. O woe is Pentax!
06-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #28
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by ballgofar Quote
What should Pentax do? Weep. It's latest camera, yet to have even been released, is aready obsolete. O woe is Pentax!
Hm....

Just because it lacks certain functions in video, which is not yet a "gotta have" feature at the moment anyway for many, I am not sure if that would make it obsolete. A tad behind however.
06-16-2009, 12:27 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Hm....

Just because it lacks certain functions in video, which is not yet a "gotta have" feature at the moment anyway for many, I am not sure if that would make it obsolete. A tad behind however.
I wouldn't mind if the K-7 had no video at all. You can see how much this is bothering me, then.
06-16-2009, 12:35 AM   #30
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I wouldn't mind if the K-7 had no video at all. You can see how much this is bothering me, then.
Yep, I am with you there. I almost wish it didn't have the video function, although I don't think at all that video is a completely an useless function.