Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #31
Forum Member

But it's not like including video is affecting you negatively in any way. In fact, without it, DPR and every other reviewing entity would whine about the absense of video when everybody else is including it and, as a result, Pentax would lose # sales. That's never good.

06-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ballgofar Quote
But it's not like including video is affecting you negatively in any way. In fact, without it, DPR and every other reviewing entity would whine about the absense of video when everybody else is including it and, as a result, Pentax would lose # sales. That's never good.
if Pentax has built enough time and momentum in selling the K-7 and received an excellent grade for a dSLR at an affordable price, that would flame out any potential competition even if they have the same or slight advance modification over the K-7, til the next new moon comes where there's a real need for an upgrade.

the way things are going right now, Pentax is on the right track. it got the target market it was hoping for to get; the CANIKON users and lost members.
06-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #33
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
I don't think it was inappropriately harsh and dismissive. Anyone who honestly bases their "what digital SLR camera should I buy" decision based on video capabilities is like choosing a car that floats because you like to go boating. As someone once said, "Use the right tool." If video is what you want to shoot, buy a video camera. That said, I understand the keeping-up-with-the-Joneses thinking behind adding the limited video "capability" to the K7 for "check the box in the comparison with competitors" marketing BS. Now, I'd like to see them turn that same mentality of recognizing what the competition offers by FINALLY producing a Full Frame dSLR camera with similar attention to quality and content!
Hello, it's now 2009, the youtube age and shooting high quality video is not like a floating car. There are people buying the Canon 5D Mark II just for the video feature.

Canon Digital Learning Center - Sample EOS 5D Mark II Video: Reverie

Canon Digital Learning Center - EOS 5D Mark II: Laforet on Reverie
06-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Hello, it's now 2009, the youtube age and shooting high quality video is not like a floating car. There are people buying the Canon 5D Mark II just for the video feature.

Canon Digital Learning Center - Sample EOS 5D Mark II Video: Reverie

Canon Digital Learning Center - EOS 5D Mark II: Laforet on Reverie
The 5d ii is the best "video" camera for under 10000$
It's out of stock everywhere...not for being a good photo camera...

06-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Yes, I'm sure that's what they need a $2700 still camera with expensive interchangeable lenses for - so they can cook the sensor shooting amateurish videos for YouTube.\sarcasm

I'm well aware of what year it is, and I'm also aware that the "video feature" on the 5D II can be used for a whopping 12 minutes at a time, while you can buy dedicated HD camcorders - for 1/2 the price, including the lens - that can record to your heart's content until you've filled up 12 hours of built in flash memory and another 12 hours on a memory card. The same folks buying the 5D II "just for the video feature" are about on the level of those who heard the 1DS III is "tough enough to hammer tent pegs" and bought one "just for the hammer feature."
06-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Yes, I'm sure that's what they need a $2700 still camera with expensive interchangeable lenses for - so they can cook the sensor shooting amateurish videos for YouTube.\sarcasm

I'm well aware of what year it is, and I'm also aware that the "video feature" on the 5D II can be used for a whopping 12 minutes at a time, while you can buy dedicated HD camcorders - for 1/2 the price, including the lens - that can record to your heart's content until you've filled up 12 hours of built in flash memory and another 12 hours on a memory card. The same folks buying the 5D II "just for the video feature" are about on the level of those who heard the 1DS III is "tough enough to hammer tent pegs" and bought one "just for the hammer feature."
That 1/2 price dedicated HD camcorder won't get any close to the 5D in image quality, noise, color rendition or DOF control. You don't seem to be aware of the huge difference, you can't match movie quality from a DSLR with a camcorder under $10.000 (that is, until the Red Scarlet arrives, possibly under $3000). And AF is irrelevant for filming, you can easily get cheap old manual lenses, not the case for pro movie cams.

http://redgrabs.com/izzy/
06-18-2009, 06:12 AM   #37
Banned

Get a clue, there are no consumer camcorders with wide angle zooms even at $2,000. A low cost $350 P&S like the 12mp Casio Exilim EX-H10 ultra-compact superzoom
has a 10x wide angle (24-240mm) zoom that shoots 720p HD video. Do you think people are buying the K-7 to only shoot family snapshots ?
Try doing this on a consumer camcorder:
06-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #38
Veteran Member

How many 12 minute scenes have you seen in a film? People who're buying this aren't shooting their kids sports day they're shooting wedding clips along with photos and even films for instance this:

Vincent Laforet : photos : Making Waves : February 12, 2009: First Look At long last, we get the first tricklings of the real deal. Delicious snippets in this clip give us a taste of beautiful colors, awesome scenery and rare talent that is on the ho

and this:

Vincent Laforet

06-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Wouldn't this rule out the Canon 5D II?
Umm, it's only 100g more in weight than the K7- I wouldn't call that huge.

The L lenses on the end are a different story entirely.....
06-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Umm, it's only 100g more in weight than the K7- I wouldn't call that huge.

The L lenses on the end are a different story entirely.....
Huge means size, not weight.
06-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #41
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At the page of 164 of manual we can see

AF doesn't works in VIDEO mode.

While recording a movie, the autofocus system does not operate

When recording movies, only the White Balance and Custom Image (other
than Fine Sharpness) settings can be used.
The sensitivity is fixed to AUTO

Last edited by ogl; 06-23-2009 at 10:42 PM.
06-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #42
ogl
Pentaxian

It's right move now. DSLR will never be camcorder.

There are several reasons.

1. AF of K-7 in video mode is worse than GH1. Why? See point 2.
2. Pentax/Nikon/Canon don't develop new lenses for video mode. Panasonic did.
3. There is problem with licensing and system of certification in Europe.

4. AF of Canon 500D in video mode is so slow and so bad, it's not recommended to use.

Last edited by ogl; 06-24-2009 at 12:36 AM.
06-24-2009, 03:17 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's right move now. DSLR will never be camcorder.

There are several reasons.

1. AF of K-7 in video mode is worse than GH1. Why? See point 2.
2. Pentax/Nikon/Canon don't develop new lenses for video mode. Panasonic did.
3. There is problem with licensing and system of certification in Europe.

4. AF of Canon 500D in video mode is so slow and so bad, it's not recommended to use.
Why would you need new lenses for video?
I don't see the advantage the GH1 has here.
06-24-2009, 05:10 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
Why would you need new lenses for video?
I don't see the advantage the GH1 has here.
Stepless aperture and contrast af optimized firmware in lenses.
06-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #45
ogl
Pentaxian

Maybe someday Pentax will make new firmware.
But professional camera-men use MF with pro video-cameras and tripod.