Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #46
and
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,472
Now someone is making a custom firmware for the 5D that further improves video options by displaying mic levels, over exposed areas, disabling auto audio gain etc. its called magic lantern.

also goes to show what great things can come from letting communities develop fimrware and software, altho here it was hacked and not thru an sdk afaik.

06-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #47
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
I saw that a couple days ago, here's the info/link

>>>>>

"
Latest 5D Mk2 news and information
2009 June 22nd

For those wanting to risk their 5D Mk2 with different firmware...

Magic Lantern Firmware

On screen stereo audio meters
Full-time cropmarks
Zebra stripes for overexposed regions
Fixed audio gain (+10 dB analog, +12 dB digital) with -NO AGC-
Live headphone monitoring on A/V jack (without disabling LCD)
printf() to the bitmap display
GUI event viewer (press Picture Style button)
Just be sure to read all the warnings first!


Magic Lantern firmware introduction from Trammell Hudson

"

<<<<<


Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki







QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Now someone is making a custom firmware for the 5D that further improves video options by displaying mic levels, over exposed areas, disabling auto audio gain etc. its called magic lantern.

also goes to show what great things can come from letting communities develop fimrware and software, altho here it was hacked and not thru an sdk afaik.
06-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #48
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 292
I have a feeling that this Pentax forum is getting hi jack into a C* 5D mk2 information platform.

cheers,

Rene
06-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #49
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
Canon 5D MKII video upgrade. What should Pentax do?

Doesn't the topic:

"Canon 5D MKII video upgrade. What should Pentax do?"a

Invite a 5D Mark II video upgrade conversation?

No?

Please explain how talking about 5D Mark II hi jack 's this thread ???


QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
I have a feeling that this Pentax forum is getting hi jack into a C* 5D mk2 information platform.

cheers,

Rene


06-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #50
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Doesn't the topic:

"Canon 5D MKII video upgrade. What should Pentax do?"a

Invite a 5D Mark II video upgrade conversation?

No?

Please explain how talking about 5D Mark II hi jack 's this thread ???
to begin with, the thread alone is inappropriate or off-topic and shouldn't had progressed in either way. it says clearly under the topic "PENTAX news and Rumor". it didn't say Canon 5D MKII News and Rumors, did it? I'm just wondering why this thread was allowed to progress here in the first place. probably because Pentax was mentioned in the title thread,as well? how cunning !
06-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #51
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: madison
Posts: 239
Hey, we also have the E-P1 thread going on in this forum. What's up with that?
06-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #52
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,253
I think that as the threads began, they were supposed to be focused on what Pentax's reaction to these cameras/ firmware updates should be, rather than on those things themselves. At the same time, there an awful lot of folks who run two systems and it wouldn't be surprising if they are interested in the 5D or EP1.
06-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #53
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think that as the threads began, they were supposed to be focused on what Pentax's reaction to these cameras/ firmware updates should be, rather than on those things themselves. At the same time, there an awful lot of folks who run two systems and it wouldn't be surprising if they are interested in the 5D or EP1.
if that were the case, I think they are in the wrong forum to begin with. They shoot a Pentax but they are interested in the 5D more, so that gives them the right to promote 5D in a Pentax forum rather than a Pentax just by virtue of having a Pentax, and promote or discuss a 5D in a Canon forum but not a Pentax? is that confusing?

can we safely say that it's also forum hijacking as well?

06-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #54
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 136
QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
Who cares? The K-7 isn't in the 5D's class and Pentax shouldn't worry about it.

They have wasted enough resources getting video on the K-7 as it is.
I wouldn't say that...honestly if they can firmware update like Canon did, in all honesty, I'd rate this camera the best of the hybrids, theoretically speaking. Not everyone wants to shell out 6K for a Mark 2 setup with a faulty audio jack.

A K7 with more control over the video features would absolutely make the GH1, D90, D5000 obsolete. And it takes better pictures than those three cameras.
06-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #55
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 136
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Now someone is making a custom firmware for the 5D that further improves video options by displaying mic levels, over exposed areas, disabling auto audio gain etc. its called magic lantern.

also goes to show what great things can come from letting communities develop fimrware and software, altho here it was hacked and not thru an sdk afaik.
Cash prize to anyone who does this with the K7 - no bull****

I really gulp at being forced to buy a mark ii
06-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #56
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millstone,NJ
Posts: 6,491
QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
Who cares? The K-7 isn't in the 5D's class and Pentax shouldn't worry about it.

They have wasted enough resources getting video on the K-7 as it is.
The #1 reason I pre-ordered the K-7 is for the HD video feature and I am sure I am not alone.
06-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #57
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Italy -> Canada -> Belgium -> Switzerland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 233
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
if that were the case, I think they are in the wrong forum to begin with. They shoot a Pentax but they are interested in the 5D more, so that gives them the right to promote 5D in a Pentax forum rather than a Pentax just by virtue of having a Pentax, and promote or discuss a 5D in a Canon forum but not a Pentax? is that confusing?

can we safely say that it's also forum hijacking as well?
Can someone shoot Pentax and still be interested in other brands? Can the same person speak freely and politely about that in forums? And by the way there is no bash to Pentax but just some considerations to prone Pentax to do even better.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
5d, canon, canon 5d mkii, k-7, mkii, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, response, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need video: K-7 or K-x but want to upgrade paolojackson Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 08-19-2010 05:34 PM
Pentax K-7 video versus Canon T2i justtakingpics Video and Pentax HDSLRs 11 07-16-2010 04:01 PM
pentax k20d upgrade to canon t2i? metungnasi Pentax DSLR Discussion 46 05-03-2010 04:20 AM
Canon 5D MKII user switches to the K-7 jogiba Pentax DSLR Discussion 22 08-20-2009 05:44 AM
Canon 5D MKII high shutter + a bass player redpigeons Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 5 08-06-2009 09:55 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:34 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top