Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Canon 5D MKII video upgrade. What should Pentax do?

Good timing from Canon to announce a video upgrade to their Monster.
full manual control of the 5D MKII in video. A response to Panasonics dedicated video masterpiece.
Perhaps we can coax Pentax into doing the same for us.
I have pressed John C Pentax at DPreview forums to explain why the AF is being switched off in the production unit of the K-7 when it was clearly usable before. I was thinking a form of petition would be best for this, if we do not get a response to why. But also full manual should be possible as this was possible in the 21FPS burst mode in the K20D.... or have I got that wrong.

Anyway. We know Pentax listen, perhaps they can gift us this one last thing on the almost perfect K-7. Just like we got more controls on the K10D.
Oh, and remote assistance might be nice .

05-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe you should give them a chance to actually release the camera first? :ugh:
05-27-2009, 12:30 AM   #3

Who cares? The K-7 isn't in the 5D's class and Pentax shouldn't worry about it.

They have wasted enough resources getting video on the K-7 as it is.
05-27-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think you go too far at this stage..

.. as the beta firmware is still at early stage, V0.34 AFAIK.

Forget about those "V1.0" firmware official sample photos at the Pentax Japanese homepage - they are just shameful edited V0.2 photos!

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
Good timing from Canon to announce a video upgrade to their Monster.
full manual control of the 5D MKII in video. A response to Panasonics dedicated video masterpiece.
Perhaps we can coax Pentax into doing the same for us.
I have pressed John C Pentax at DPreview forums to explain why the AF is being switched off in the production unit of the K-7 when it was clearly usable before. I was thinking a form of petition would be best for this, if we do not get a response to why. But also full manual should be possible as this was possible in the 21FPS burst mode in the K20D.... or have I got that wrong.

Anyway. We know Pentax listen, perhaps they can gift us this one last thing on the almost perfect K-7. Just like we got more controls on the K10D.
Oh, and remote assistance might be nice .

05-27-2009, 01:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
They have wasted enough resources getting video on the K-7 as it is.
Wasted? Why would some people dismiss any features they have no use themselves? This type of camera cater to many different needs of various users. No one has the use of all the features provided. I personally would never use the PC-Sync terminal or a battery grip. But I fully understand some other users would find them very useful; and I would not never call those features as "wasting resources". And as you can see from various threads, some users are genuinely excited about the video capability of K-7!
05-27-2009, 01:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
.. as the beta firmware is still at early stage, V0.34 AFAIK.

Forget about those "V1.0" firmware official sample photos at the Pentax Japanese homepage - they are just shameful edited V0.2 photos!
you think? It could be that firmware 1.0 is not upgradeable. the package might not exist in software upgrade form and only on pre-installed form.

Anyway, we will find out soon enough. John said that they are in talks with Japan on this so it could be that it can be installed. I would be really annoyed if it was just taken out.. All they would have to do is make sure that there is a warning about internal noise so a exterior mic should be used.

Anyone know a good external small mic that can be clamped somehow.?
05-27-2009, 01:36 AM   #7
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We still dont know how it will be in the final firmware, and looking to the past there has normally been at least 1 firmware update that added some options for each camera so there is another option.

Its good that canon did the upgrades becuse this will push other makers to follow.

05-27-2009, 02:56 AM   #8

I use one of these and I think it's excellent.

RØDE Microphones
05-27-2009, 04:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
Anyone know a good external small mic that can be clamped somehow.?
I still have a holdover Azden shotgun microphone from my old college days. It does the job well, though I do think RØDE microphones work better, hence the higher price tag.

My ears aren't that picky, though, so I'll just be using the Azden when I get the K-7 a bit later on when prices have gone down some.
05-27-2009, 04:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lazaruscomeout Quote
I use one of these and I think it's excellent.

RØDE Microphones
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I still have a holdover Azden shotgun microphone from my old college days. It does the job well, though I do think RØDE microphones work better, hence the higher price tag.

My ears aren't that picky, though, so I'll just be using the Azden when I get the K-7 a bit later on when prices have gone down some.
I think you guys mistook what i meant by small. just a regular small microphone, a mono. Something to be outside of the camera and not pick up too much of the internal sounds. If the AF is really loud, or if the SR is loud aswell, then the internal mic will be worth.....less to most video shooters, a small external mice the size of a wireless radio/infra red flash transmitter. Not the really large mics people are thinking of.
I see the virtues of a large mic system, but its not for everyday use IMO. Could something smaller exist, hotshoe based. Or would I have to take something on their :P
05-27-2009, 04:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

LOL, Canon playing catch-up already, fricken dogs!
05-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
LOL, Canon playing catch-up already, fricken dogs!
Catch-up??? LOL indeed!
05-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What Pentax should do is to devote their time to releasing as bug-free and high quality of a camera as they can. If they want to do a firmware after this that adds more features to the camera I'll be ecstatic.

I'm happy for Canon users that they finally got their concerns listened to -- it has been one year after launch after all. I think the Aperture control is the most important of the three options as far as practical creativity is concerned, so I'm not too worried about it. I don't think Canon is going to come out with a firmware patch anytime soon that gives Image Stabilization to video with any lens.
05-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #14

Canon did it...it's time for all brands realise if they give us movie option, they should give us the manual controls. Don´t be able to control the iso is a real pain!

I did't buy the 5dii in the first place because of this castration... now it's a possibility. I'm wainting to see pentax results and take my decision.
I have to balance the 1080p vs 720p, the manual controls, stabilization in pentax, and the many pentax lenses i have already vs none of canon.

I know, you can call me crazy, but i do movie work for living, and need a small camera with thin dof to carry around.
05-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NunoBarbosa Quote
I know, you can call me crazy, but i do movie work for living, and need a small camera with thin dof to carry around.
Wouldn't this rule out the Canon 5D II?