Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Is canon competing with K-7?

Why this suddently firmware to allow aperture, iso and speed control with the 5dII, just now?

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eos5dmk2/firmware.html

05-27-2009, 04:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canon users have been petishioning for this since it's release, but yeah it probably has something to do with the new video dslrs emerging from nikon, pentax and panasonic
05-27-2009, 05:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It was a feature planned for

But I thnk the Canon fans have shot themselves in the foot.
It was planned for the 5DMkIIIb which was due in a few months. But this whining has caused the Canon designers to implement it now already... Meaning no 5DMkIII in a few momths next one two years from now...
05-27-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'll guess : yes, canon is competing w/ Pentax, Nikon, Panasonic

I think the firmware link provided is the old one that addressed black dot issue. I located the new one:

EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - EOS Digital SLR Cameras - EOS 35mm SLR Cameras - Lenses - Flashes - EOS 5D Mark II Firmware Upgrade - Canon USA Consumer Products

QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote
Why this suddently firmware to allow aperture, iso and speed control with the 5dII, just now?

Canon EOS 5D MarkII Firmware Update

05-27-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The rumor is that 5d2 was released a little bit earlier then planned.
It was scheduled to go into production this April, but was released earlier due to Nikon's D700 release. This would explain initial stock shortage and firmware fixes.
05-27-2009, 06:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
But I thnk the Canon fans have shot themselves in the foot.
It was planned for the 5DMkIIIb which was due in a few months. But this whining has caused the Canon designers to implement it now already... Meaning no 5DMkIII in a few momths next one two years from now...
Are you telling me that a firmware upgrade is all it takes to put off a new Canon release for a couple of years? I knew the 5D Mark II was ahead of its time but I didn't realize it was that far ahead.
05-27-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes, Canon feels strongly that the K-7 will make the 5DII looking old being so so '08.
It is clear without doubt that Canon are afraid of loosing marketshare for the 5D because of the K-7 announcement from Pentax. We can already see previous 5D-shooters now wanting to upgrade their 5D to a K-7 instead of going for the 5DII and also photographers that had booked a 5DII now has canceled their orders and has pre-ordered a K-7 instead.

So yes, Canon is seriulsy competeting with the K-7 or Pentax is competing with Canon. I feel confident that the K-7 will make a major impact on Canon's sales for the 5D, now that Pentax finally has a direct competitior to it.

05-27-2009, 06:47 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Yes, Canon feels strongly that the K-7 will make the 5DII looking old being so so '08.
It is clear without doubt that Canon are afraid of loosing marketshare for the 5D because of the K-7 announcement from Pentax. We can already see previous 5D-shooters now wanting to upgrade their 5D to a K-7 instead of going for the 5DII and also photographers that had booked a 5DII now has canceled their orders and has pre-ordered a K-7 instead.

So yes, Canon is seriulsy competeting with the K-7 or Pentax is competing with Canon. I feel confident that the K-7 will make a major impact on Canon's sales for the 5D, now that Pentax finally has a direct competitior to it.
ahahahaa
05-27-2009, 06:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
It was scheduled to go into production this April, but was released earlier due to Nikon's D700 release. This would explain initial stock shortage and firmware fixes.
Actually the 5DMkII was long overdue, people even suggested that the 5D was a one off series.
QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
Are you telling me that a firmware upgrade is all it takes to put off a new Canon release for a couple of years? I knew the 5D Mark II was ahead of its time but I didn't realize it was that far ahead.
General feeling among canon shooters was that the II offered too little progress...
05-27-2009, 07:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I read it was D90 release that made Canon launch 5DII one week later

D90 is the camera that pushed canon to launch 5DII way early. 5DII was due to launch at this past PMA in Vegas 2009. Instead, 5DII launched one week after D90. By then Nikon has already stole the claim : "First dslr with HD" Which I do hear on their TV ads.

D700x if released with articulated viewscreen is the camera that will bring on 5DIII. If not I assume canon will plod along with newly issued T1i & upcoming 60D HD Dslrs.

Here's T1i HD from Canon in June at $799 launch, so $500 less than K-7 launch price:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/613611-REG/Canon_3818B001_EOS_Rebel_T1i_Digital.html

I like articulated viewscreen & I consider it essential for HD Dslr ergonomics. No firmware fixes will add an articulated viewscreen to D700 or 5DII or K-7.

Panasonic GH1 if succesful will push articulated viewscreen feature on all HD Dslrs. I've considered adding it, and just dropped $410 on various lensmount adapters for GH1 just incase I choose it over K-7 or something else during 2010. If no GH1 then I'm guessing I can recover most of my adapter costs and finially ditch all my old Canon FD lenses which work exceptionally well on Panasonic G1, so I've read.

Here's GH1 link due out soon with HD designed lens launch $1499, so $200 more than K-7 body only:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/608940-REG/Panasonic_DMC_GH1K_Lumix_DM...al_Camera.html

I was all excited about K-7 until I read it does not autofocus during video after i read it did autofocus in video mode. Hard to pin this spec down till its available to everyone and chatted about.

QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote

Last edited by Samsungian; 05-27-2009 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Canon T1i link added, GH1 link added
05-27-2009, 07:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

05-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The rumor I had read was that Canon had planned to upgrade the Video on the 5Dmkii before the release of the 60D.

It is expected that the 60D will have the same Video capabilities as the 5Dmkii (when the 5Dmkii was released).

This allows some space between the two Canon models.

The K-7 has created alot of buzz on Canon forums. More then I would have expected. It is going to be interesting to see how Canon responds. Maybe the 60D is comming sooner then expected?
05-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #13

If the K-7 is competing with anything from Canon, it is the 50D, not the 5D mk.II, let's be serious. The K-7 may push the 60D a bit earlier though. 50D is still faster at fps BTW, it is 6.3. K-7 is probably better than everything else.
05-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, to be serious, I don't think Canon even bothers about what Pentax are doing or not doing. True, K-7 competes with the 50D from Canon, not 5DII so the question raised in the first post is just silly.
05-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #15

Remember the time when some of you guys were upset because engadget said K-7 will be competing with 500D and D5000 ?