Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
What's wrong with number "9"? Why is it better than "7"?
It's worse then 7 when coupled w/ a "K" and implies something not so good in american parlance....
It's (she's, he's) a dog
K-9 ie. canine ie. dog.... Not a term used in australia???

canine - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
ca·nine
Pronunciation:
\ˈkā-ˌnīn, British also ˈka-\
Function: noun
Date: 15th century
1 [Middle English, from Latin (dens) caninus canine tooth] : a conical pointed tooth ; especially : one situated between the lateral incisor and the first premolar — see tooth illustration
2: dog
1a ; broadly : canid

05-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
The original name for the K-7 was the K30. However, as developement rolled on, we realized that this camera was much more than a replacement to the K20D. Therefore, we decided to move to a different number.
Hi John (and nice to see you here)!

I was actually hoping to see a K-3 or even better, a name with letters only (like with MX or ME) or at least two letters and a digit (like with ZX-5 or MZ-S). Combining one letter with "D" and making names like XD, MD, ED (perhaps with added numbers like with MZ/XZ series) would sound more like Pentax and less like CanoNikon in my opinion. Just my $0.02.

But regardless of the name, K-7 feels great in hands. Great job!!!
05-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #18
Inactive Account

They could call it Ham & Cheese for all I care. Not gonna matter to me when I'm using it.

c[_]
05-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #19
Forum Member

Pentax User website has a sneak picture of the K-9 already!
news leak specs on new Pentax k-9

05-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Maybe starting with the K7, Pentax can go with naming all of their cameras "prime" numbers: K3, K5, K13, etc.
Wow! That is actually a pretty brilliant idea.
05-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I was hoping a K30D would be bigger like K20D and have articulated viewscreen too. Sounds like K-7 is it for new aps-c dslrs this year then? Being a big guy. 6'4" 250 or as I like to say 1/8th of a ton I am not a fan of ever smaller camera bodies.

K-7 looks like a winner. Wish it had articulated viewscreen though.

As you know about K-7 can you confirm it does autofocus in HD mode or manual focus only in HD?

If no af during HD mode, why not?

Also does K-7 come with any software for HD editing, ect?

Thanks &

Congrats on K-7. Very well deserved.
Sorry, no focus during movie capture. You can use the AF button to focus before that capture starts, but during you would have to manually focus.

The new software that comes with the K-7 is vastly improved over our previous offerings, but for movies it only accomodates playback, not editing.
05-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks JC.

Vetoing K-9 provides only half the answer, where's the other half?
Like ... okay no K-9, then why not K-8?
Future releases will count down from this (was-to-be) 9?

05-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #23
and
Veteran Member

Good info this, strange choice to go with k9, where would they go from there? k10?
K3 would have been more logical.
05-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by jk333 Quote
For me, this K-7 is perfect. I think for most it is. Its the PERFECT answer to the Nikon D90. Great camera, everything you could want, mostly.
If you go to certain Nikon forums, it is in fact the case that they are lusting over the K-7.

GREAT JOB PENTAX! I CAN'T WAIT TO OWN THIS CAMERA.

It will go nicely with my DA*s
05-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #25
Forum Member

Any idea from anyone when the K-7 might be available in South Africa?
In Europe?
Sorry - getting off the thread topic here....
05-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Maybe the K20D replacement will be the K-5

Audi Q7's baby brother -> Q5
Intel Core i7's baby brother -> Core i5

I'd really like to see the K20D replaced with something the same size as the K10/K20, partly so the battery grip can be re-used and so people who prefer a slightly larger camera still have something comfortable to use. Oh, and keep the lift-and-turn latch for the SD door.. the slider on the K-7 SD compartment is oh-so-cheap.
05-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
Sorry, no focus during movie capture. You can use the AF button to focus before that capture starts, but during you would have to manually focus.

The new software that comes with the K-7 is vastly improved over our previous offerings, but for movies it only accomodates playback, not editing.
A friend of mine is a semi-pro videographer, and from what he's told me, pros basically manually focus everything... Otherwise, if for instance you pan while AF is on, the focus tracks in on the tree in the near foreground, then out to the horizon, then onto your subject, then hunts a bit as you pan past a picket fence, etc... Very unprofessional results. Now, that may be different for something like tracking race cars 'round a corner - I don't know (he doesn't do that ).
05-28-2009, 02:09 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by laissezfaire Quote
GREAT JOB PENTAX! I CAN'T WAIT TO OWN THIS CAMERA.

It will go nicely with my DA*s
I think I have found the perfect partner to my 31mm Limited
05-28-2009, 03:41 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
A friend of mine is a semi-pro videographer, and from what he's told me, pros basically manually focus everything... Otherwise, if for instance you pan while AF is on, the focus tracks in on the tree in the near foreground, then out to the horizon, then onto your subject, then hunts a bit as you pan past a picket fence, etc... Very unprofessional results. Now, that may be different for something like tracking race cars 'round a corner - I don't know (he doesn't do that ).
Maybe the final production model will have 1080p video with zooming. That would be a Kick to the more expensive 5D Mk2. Just that dont know whats the K-7 write to memory speed as well if there is a time limit to the video recording.
05-28-2009, 06:46 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
and you would also like to use some of the old lens to record video as their focusing movement is more smooth so as you turn and focus it will be smooth and will not have fast jump.