Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2009, 07:04 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
Wow! That is actually a pretty brilliant idea.
Agreed. Apart from prime lenses and the PRIME engine, the chief connotations of "prime" are "superior" and (numerically) "unique". Perfect associations for the brand.

05-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
Maybe the final production model will have 1080p video with zooming. That would be a Kick to the more expensive 5D Mk2. Just that dont know whats the K-7 write to memory speed as well if there is a time limit to the video recording.
No on the 1080p, and the lenght of video is limited to 4GB of memory and/or 30 minutes (whichever comes first). The 4GB is based on flash memory technology and 30 minutes is based on EU tariffs (anything that records more than 30 minutes is considered a camcorder and import taxes are much higher.)
05-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #33
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No on the 1080p, and the lenght of video is limited to 4GB of memory and/or 30 minutes (whichever comes first). The 4GB is based on flash memory technology and 30 minutes is based on EU tariffs (anything that records more than 30 minutes is considered a camcorder and import taxes are much higher.)
I assume not exactly flash memory technology but the fact that the camera uses the FAT32 filesystem which puts the limit on the max filesize it can handle. If the memory cards had been NTFS formatted then I assume that wouldnt be a problem. Then the cameras sold in the us could have more than 30 minutes and the ones in eu not and then eu users could go to the us website to dl the us version of the firmware and update and bobs your uncle

30 minutes is plenty tho...
05-30-2009, 07:49 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
30 minutes is based on EU tariffs (anything that records more than 30 minutes is considered a camcorder and import taxes are much higher.)
LOL....those d*mn european taxes
I'll bet it can't do 1080p because a) there aren't enough read channels on the chip and b) we'd probably need class 10 SDXC support to write fast enough...

05-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hee. K-9 would have been cute and appealed to *me...* Oh, never mind.

Still don't see why they went K-7 rather than, say, K3. I'd been under the impression someone at Hoya loved that mountain. If it was K-9 to begin with, I'd be curious the rationale. What would they name the *next* model, if they wanted to keep up a number sequence?

It'd be more intuitive (shopping for digital cameras is hard enough, with models changing every year, especially) if the next generation of cameras were, say, K3, K30, K300, K-letter, or whatnot. You could keep it consistent for a lot of years, that way.

(Not to say I think Pentax needs to be as 'hierarchical' about model levels as other brands with the whole more money=more fancy (or basic non-automated) features=more 'professional. It could be a good scheme to go by price level, to have something going on like K-m level for point-and-shot upgraders, something solid and basic with controls for students and 'advanced amateurs, (maybe like a K20 with a few tweaks) then like a K-7 for I-want-and-can-afford-the-bells-and-whistles amateurs, then something all-out pro built like a rock with the magnificent finder and whatever's demanded. (Not that the K-7 might'nt prove to be just that cool, anyway. My only worry is if Hoya falls into a pattern of letting the basics coast in order to out-geek someone. )

I can be patient, though. I wanted to see kicka** high-ISO, shut-up-you-trolls AF, a return of real TTL, and a magnificent finder, but I understand market forces somewhat.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-30-2009 at 10:44 AM.
05-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

I can be patient, though. I wanted to see kicka** high-ISO, shut-up-you-trolls AF, a return of real TTL, and a magnificent finder, but I understand market forces somewhat.
HAHAHA Hee Hee
05-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #37
Veteran Member

The original name for the K-7 was the K30. However, as developement rolled on, we realized that this camera was much more than a replacement to the K20D. Therefore, we decided to move to a different number.

As far as where that number came from, it is hard to say. I probably shouldn't share this, but the original suggestion was K-9. For obvious reasons we here in the US and our European counterparts vetoed this idea.
I was actually baffled with the decision to name it K-7. Very odd indeed and possibly confusing to consumers. It almost pretends that there is a pedigree of models before and possibly after it. But there are no model numbers like K-6, 5... and will there be a K-8? K-9 seems unlikely.

The reasoning for not calling it a K30D is odd. Because it is much more than the K20D? Isn't that the point? The K30D was always expected to be more than its predecessor.

I'd love to be in a board room when these model names are 'invented'. Really, K-7? After all the hard work the engineers put into this camera... and the marketing people couldn't do better than K-7? I think they should have consulted with the Ikea marketing geniuses. Ikea may have suggested something like the RÄTTESNÖRE SLAKTARE K1.

So is the K20D the last of its line?

In all seriousness, depend the name, good work on the camera.

One question, I still need to know how well the camera performs in long exposures (15+ seconds)? Has anyone tested this?

Last edited by pentaxmz; 05-30-2009 at 11:27 PM.
05-31-2009, 11:39 AM   #38
Veteran Member

It uses a different charger & different battery

Is it really confusing? It uses different battery and charger. New items that work with no other pentax dslr model.

It uses different grip too. K10D, K20D grip don't fit it.

They could do like Km & K2000 and call it something else in other parts of the world.

But if they do that then calling it a K30D elsewhere would be foolish since the battery, batterycharger & grip are unique to K-7.

Plus I could never figure out why Pentax had to copy Canon dslr names:

Canon 10D

Canon 20D

Canon 30D

Canon 40D

Canon 50D

and Canon 60D is already rumour'd on popular rumour site, with 100% viewfinder of course. pentax is making Canon 60D better.

Maybe Pentax should have called K-7:

K300D ? or K700D ? or K900 ? or KH1 ? or K1i Rebel?

Soooooo....

Anyone know if new same size sensor in K-7 is samsung made or sony made or made by a new to pentax third company ???

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I was actually baffled with the decision to name it K-7. Very odd indeed and possibly confusing to consumers. It almost pretends that there is a pedigree of models before and possibly after it. But there are no model numbers like K-6, 5... and will there be a K-8? K-9 seems unlikely.

The reasoning for not calling it a K30D is odd. Because it is much more than the K20D? Isn't that the point? The K30D was always expected to be more than its predecessor.

I'd love to be in a board room when these model names are 'invented'. Really, K-7? After all the hard work the engineers put into this camera... and the marketing people couldn't do better than K-7? I think they should have consulted with the Ikea marketing geniuses. Ikea may have suggested something like the RÄTTESNÖRE SLAKTARE K1.

So is the K20D the last of its line?

In all seriousness, depend the name, good work on the camera.

One question, I still need to know how well the camera performs in long exposures (15+ seconds)? Has anyone tested this?
05-31-2009, 01:56 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Anyone know if new same size sensor in K-7 is samsung made or sony made or made by a new to pentax third company ???
I'm fairly certain it's the same sensor w/ that noise tweak (shuts off data collection when shutter closes) and more read channels so it can do video...
05-31-2009, 05:57 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Is it really confusing? It uses different battery and charger. New items that work with no other pentax dslr model.
I don't follow your logic. It is common place for newer models to require different batteries, charger, or what ever.

Examples: Canon xxD series cannot use the same batteries between some models. And the Canon PowerShot series SDxxx... most need different batteries and accessories.

Anyhow, I don't really care that much. I am just curious as to where K-7 came from and how does this model relate or fit into the rest of the family: Km, K20D, K2000... perhaps its just me but that seems like a whole bunch of confusing model names with no baring on there position and capabilities. There seems to be more logic in both Canon and Nikon's model names.

Again, it's not that important! I am pleased to see a new and improved K20D (despite what Pentax states).
06-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Thanks for your info, and thanks for posting here. (I consider this the happiest Pentax community, though waves can go high here in News and Rumors section.)

K9 could have been another fun Pentax twist, like the *Ist line

We´re very happy you guys (and girls) brought us the K7, I'm really looking foward to one day owning it.
06-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #42

I can see all the pitfalls of using K-9 name... some fun marketing twists though.... I'm happy its not K-8 ... can't imaging my wife would be happy that i'm taking k-8 out to a beach at night.... lol

Cheers
Shang
06-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Answers to some points raised in this thread -

The sensor is designed in co-operation with Samsung and is manufactured by Samsung, just like the "old" 14.6Mp CMOS. It is not made by Sony.

Using the name "K30D" would give a space above the "K30D" and everyone would ask "When is the K3 coming?". Now, K-7 is a perfect name because it clearly shows - it is on the top level, even more top level than the K20D ever was. It competes at the highest level of APS-C market. Oh and if using "K30D" the users of K10D and K20D would get the impression that their existing accessories, like battery grip, could be used. The "K-7" shows that it is not a K10D/K20D-camera with updated electronics, it is a new design. So logical to skip the "K30D" designation for it. It simply looks to much like a new design.

Why "7"? Why not? For this year, Pentax has released digital cameras with '7' in the name: Optio X70, P70, E70 and E70L.
06-02-2009, 01:44 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Why "7"?
Seven is a lucky or holy number in the Japanese culture. For a long time the top SONY CD player flagships model number had one or more sevens in it.

EDIT: Not saying that this is the actual explanation. But it would make sense.
06-02-2009, 03:09 AM   #45

Pentax makes great cameras and lenses but let's not forget these are the same guys that named the "ist" line of cameras. One of the silliest names I've heard.