Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Prognathous Quote
Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

It's a tool and any tool can be misused. Doesn't make the tool bad.

07-02-2009, 07:22 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
On the Gisteq and mac support. I have the Gisteq PhotoTrackr Lite. The Mac software is pretty rudimentary, but if you just get the log files from it, you can use HoudaGeo which can add the geodata to the metadata of RAW files before importing the re-written RAWs into your digital asset management software.
Is your Gisteq MTK-based? I kind of thought most of the Gisteqs were.

You might be able to use BT747, which is a cross-platform Java app originally designed for the i-Blue 747 series but works with most MTK-based loggers.
07-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #48
Site Supporter

I don't know about MTK. I'm happy with how it works, though. I just use the Gisteq software to export the log, then HoudaGeo to snyc pictures with the log and write the EXIF data in the PEFs.

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Is your Gisteq MTK-based? I kind of thought most of the Gisteqs were.

You might be able to use BT747, which is a cross-platform Java app originally designed for the i-Blue 747 series but works with most MTK-based loggers.
07-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I got interested in geotagging over the last month or so. While it would be nice to be integrated in-camera, you can get a decently priced stand alone gps. I was researching all the dataloggers out there, but wanted more from the gps. We had tried geocaching (basically gps treasure hunting, google it!) a few years back, but the gps we had wasnt that great.

I gave up on the datalogger route, and did some research. initially i was going to get a garmin from their etrex line, but happened upon delorme's earthmate gps line (they currently have 2 units, and in the last few weeks added a 3rd). unlike the other brands, topo and detailed road maps are included for their handheld gps unit (i got the cheapest one, $150 from amazon); its processor takes a couple of seconds to redraw maps while driving (not an issue when walking, usually when most photos are taken!), but it would do in a pinch (i'm good with directions, so dont generally need it for that purpose). anyways, it works great for geocaching, and, most importantly, geotagging photos! the process below sounds complicated, but really is only a couple of programs open and half a dozen clicks. the only thing that take some time is the program actually adding the tags to the exif.

using the delorme software, i import the current track log (you can save upto 10 in unit, with 10000 points each; the tracklog is also customizable, i have it set at 15sec intervals, which would be over 40 hours of track).

after importing, i save the track log as a .gpx file. i then open all my photos using geosetter, which is a free tagging application, and has a complete gui and is very easy to use. i then select all the photos, and press a button to tag using the gpx file i had just saved. it then analyzes, and tells you which photos sync with the gps timestamps; one more click and it processes the gps location info into the exif data of the files. done!

i've just been using picasa for web albums recently, when you upload and create a new album, it will show the photos on a small google map on the right hand side when they are tagged with the above process (with the little pins google maps uses), and you preview thumbnails and select for larger images from there (on top of the normal album configuration). alot of fun so far, and will be great when out and about, especially when travelling!

long story short, i think my hotshoe is happier with a flash attached.

07-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #50
Veteran Member

for geotagging, or anything the iphone is probably the best uncommon camera tool to have on your person when shooting. it's a tiny touch screen computer that doubles as phone, gps, gray card, dof calculator, etc.

.. and for the canon system it's an advanced remote. when i get around to running osx i'm gonna make a pentax app.
07-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I had a PN-40 for about an hour before it failed. DeLorme has been having serious quality control issues with its power supply circuitry.

For an all-in-one hiking/geocaching/geotagging GPS, the Garmin Oregon 300 is incredible. With CN maps it can even do driving directions (albeit nowhere as well as a Nuvi or TomTom unit.)

For geotagging only, the MTK v2 chipset based loggers are cheaper and vastly superior in battery life, sensitivity (esp. WAAS support at moderate latitudes), and receiver size.

I actually have both - the MTK2 for geotagging and the Oregon for caching.
07-29-2009, 05:17 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Geotagging upgrade for the K-7-
Eye-Fi Geo Adds GPS Info to iLife for Life - Eye-fi geo - Gizmodo
Baddabing, baddaboom, done.
08-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
Geotagging upgrade for the K-7-
Eye-Fi Geo Adds GPS Info to iLife for Life - Eye-fi geo - Gizmodo
Baddabing, baddaboom, done.
This only pulls location data based on wifi signals in the area. It can also only extrapolate a more specific location if there are multiple wifi signals for a somewhat 3d position. would probably be alright in cities, much less so away from any sort of major civilization.