Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2009, 03:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by a a i b Quote
So what is your external geologger solution?
http://www.xaiox.com/download/xaiox_itracku_sirf_3_english.pdf
with special attention to page 9 Auto-On/Off.

They are rebranded in the US and bundled with different software; but I don't remember which one. Auto-On/Off is sweet because you basically care about the logger only when you copy your SD card to your computer. At that moment, I will simply copy my track too and recharge the logger in the process (via USB).

05-30-2009, 05:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

It is too early to say that the K-7 does not have geotagging support, the only thing we know is that Pentax at this stage haven't announced a device for GPS on the K-7. This doesn't mean it won't come in the future.

(and no, I don't have firm answers to if it will come or not, it has been researched by Pentax but it is unknown outside the R&D-department when they are ready to implement/announce it).
05-30-2009, 06:23 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
It is too early to say that the K-7 does not have geotagging support, the only thing we know is that Pentax at this stage haven't announced a device for GPS on the K-7. This doesn't mean it won't come in the future.

(and no, I don't have firm answers to if it will come or not, it has been researched by Pentax but it is unknown outside the R&D-department when they are ready to implement/announce it).
A grip with GPS where you can set de grip battery to power the GPS and the in-camera battery to power the camera would be ideal and keep the whole thing weathersealed.
Or a separate thingie like Sony but no need to support geotagging in camera then, only in RAW software.
05-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

It's silly (and arrogant) to call the sort of support for geotagging to be a gimmick. So what if you'd never use it; I'd say most of us never use the video-out capabilities of our DSLRs, but it's understood as a necessary feature on todays cameras. The same could be said for a battery grip, after all, you could just change batteries more often, or hold your camera vertical like photogs have done for decades. Or what about onboard flash--it doesn't even work very well on even the highest end bodies that include it (that the highest level pro bodies don't have a popup flash is the ultimate testimony to its "gimmickness"). HD video capbabilites are the same thing. Yet all of these things are useful to many people.

That said, onboard geotagging support does seem to be in its infancy. I think its wise to wait for the technology to further develop before putting it on your flagship model. Others my disagree. I think I'd prefer the seperate geologger solution over an integrated one so that I'd have more control over it.

05-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by indytax Quote
It's silly (and arrogant) to call the sort of support for geotagging to be a gimmick. So what if you'd never use it; I'd say most of us never use the video-out capabilities of our DSLRs, but it's understood as a necessary feature on todays cameras. The same could be said for a battery grip, after all, you could just change batteries more often, or hold your camera vertical like photogs have done for decades. Or what about onboard flash--it doesn't even work very well on even the highest end bodies that include it (that the highest level pro bodies don't have a popup flash is the ultimate testimony to its "gimmickness"). HD video capbabilites are the same thing. Yet all of these things are useful to many people.

That said, onboard geotagging support does seem to be in its infancy. I think its wise to wait for the technology to further develop before putting it on your flagship model. Others my disagree. I think I'd prefer the seperate geologger solution over an integrated one so that I'd have more control over it.
I mainly agree.
The problem is: internal or external?
If external, no need to geotag in the camera itself.
If external on hotshoe, you lose flash (I do not care but some might) but you gain exact time sync.
If plugged into the body, you lose weathersealing (hotshoe or not).

Lots of considerations here ....
05-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dhalbrook Quote
... but my guess is that within 5 years it will be pretty much standard on all mid to upper range DSLRs, where the K-7 falls exactly. Too bad in this case Pentax will not be at the forefront of the trend.
I couldn't agree more!

As much as I am intrigued and excited [to learn more] about the K-7, I can't help but think that this model is just another example of Pentax trying to catch up to the competition.

For a moment, let's just put aside the shake reduction. I think we can all agree that the K-7 has some SR advancements and it is possibly the best SR available (for in-body SR).

However, besides SR, can anyone tell me if there is anything truly innovative on this camera?

I watched the marketing video and initially I was captivated, but after a while I thought... hey wait a minute, 720p HD video? Big deal! There are less expensive DSLRs with 1080p HD! In my opinion, unless the camera is going to excel at a certain feature, don't bother adding it. Video is one example of this. It's not a video camera, it's a still camera. If Pentax wants to design a combined semi-pro still / video camera that doesn't compromise on either, great.... I'm all for that. Bring it!
05-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by indytax Quote
It's silly (and arrogant) to call the sort of support for geotagging to be a gimmick.
I am not sure. Those who did probably use an external logger solution and consider geotagging "a solved problem". Built-in geotagging simply doesn't even come close in any of the devices which feature it. So, why is it silly (and arrogant) to call it a gimmick if this is the regular experience of those who do?

05-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I couldn't agree more!

As much as I am intrigued and excited [to learn more] about the K-7, I can't help but think that this model is just another example of Pentax trying to catch up to the competition.

For a moment, let's just put aside the shake reduction. I think we can all agree that the K-7 has some SR advancements and it is possibly the best SR available (for in-body SR).

However, besides SR, can anyone tell me if there is anything truly innovative on this camera?

I watched the marketing video and initially I was captivated, but after a while I thought... hey wait a minute, 720p HD video? Big deal! There are less expensive DSLRs with 1080p HD! In my opinion, unless the camera is going to excel at a certain feature, don't bother adding it. Video is one example of this. It's not a video camera, it's a still camera. If Pentax wants to design a combined semi-pro still / video camera that doesn't compromise on either, great.... I'm all for that. Bring it!
For "us" Pentaxians, it looks good!
05-30-2009, 10:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

They are rebranded in the US and bundled with different software; but I don't remember which one. Auto-On/Off is sweet because you basically care about the logger only when you copy your SD card to your computer. At that moment, I will simply copy my track too and recharge the logger in the process (via USB).
Thanks for this!

The company seems to offer many different models. I just wish they had a product matrix.

XAiOX Technology

Now, where to buy?
05-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

How about being the smallest and lightest in its class with weather sealed body and weather sealed kit lenses, 100% viewfinder, electronic levels, auto level adjustment, sensor shift composition adjustment, ultrasonic dust removal, HDR functions...

Never before had there been a combination of all these features in a camera of this size.
This is the type of camera that Olympus/Micro 4/3 promised but never produced.
Whether you call this "innovative" is personal choice. I myself would call K-7 a great camera with great features.

QuoteQuote:
720p HD video? Big deal! There are less expensive DSLRs with 1080p HD!
Is there? I hope you are not talking about 500D/T1i, with its 1080p lowly 20fps - I mean what good is that?

QuoteQuote:
In my opinion, unless the camera is going to excel at a certain feature, don't bother adding it.
What do you mean? K-7's video implementation looks very well thought out and promising so far. We still need samples to confirm. But with its high bit rate, easy to edit MJPEG format, aperture control, and ext MIC in, it is already very good. What more do you want?

QuoteQuote:
Video is one example of this. It's not a video camera, it's a still camera.
Your thinking would probably need to adjust to the new era. I don't think there will be any more mid or higher end level DSLR without video mode. The days of consumer "still camera" only era is nearing its end. Very soon, almost all consumer "still cameras" would take video, and all consumer video camera would take stills. The line between them would continue to blur.

QuoteQuote:
If Pentax wants to design a combined semi-pro still / video camera that doesn't compromise on either, great.... I'm all for that. Bring it!
I think Pentax has done a pretty good job with K-7 so far.
05-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Thanks for your post. I see this:

"Copyright©2007 XAiOX Technologies, USA"

...yet it will take more than a bit of sleuthing to figure out the USA connection. And probably too much to hope for Mac compatibility to boot. Ah well.
05-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
For "us" Pentaxians, it looks good!
Wow! That is your best answer?

By definition, I am a Pentaxian (unless this means something other than an owner of Pentax equipment).

Not saying there is anything bad about the camera...but golly, I want to know what is really mind blowing (but useful) on this camera... something that make make international reviewers sit-up and take notice of Pentax.

- I already mentioned the significantly improved SR. That should get reviewers attention.
- There is also the in camera 3-shot HDR capturing. Since HDR is becoming a 'hot' topic, it seems that the Pentax engineers are paying attention to future needs. I wonder how good it is?
- 77-segment metering system. This seems higher than most? But does this number 77 translate into significantly higher accuracy?
- In-camera Lens Correction function. This could be impressive!
- Vastly improved live view. I still feel they should update the K20D!

Two things kind of ticked me off though.
I was seriously chastised when I complained that the K20D didn't have a magnesium alloy body and the battery grip didn't accept AA batteries.

I was told only inferior cameras were stupid enough to use mag-alloy.. it corrodes near salt water and other such nonsense... their authors not realizing that some of Pentax's top-end cameras 10 years ago all had mag-alloy bodies. Or that AA batteries don't last long enough, etc... Obviously these people have never done field work where AA batteries may be the only type of battery available.

I feel vindicated that the K7 has the magnesium alloy chassis and the new D-BG4 battery grip accepts AA batteries. Perhaps my letters to Pentax worked?

Anyhow, writing this is convincing me to fire-sale my K20D.
Seriously, I haven't ruled out the possibility that I will replace my hated/loved K20D with this one. But my main K20D complaint has yet to be addressed. How does the K7 perform in long (15+ seconds) exposures?
05-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Your thinking would probably need to adjust to the new era. I don't think there will be any more mid or higher end level DSLR without video mode. The days of consumer "still camera" only era is nearing its end. Very soon, almost all consumer "still cameras" would take video, and all consumer video camera would take stills. The line between them would continue to blur.
I think you misunderstood me (or I wasn't clear). I truly concur with your above statement. Heck, I will go one step further. The requirement for a pentaprism and mirror are soon to be gone. The term DSLR will be antiquated. Basically, once the view finder can become digitized (without compromise), that will eliminate the above requirements. I long for the day when I can carry a 'still' camera with all the features I expect in a semi-pro DSLR PLUS all the features I need in my semi-pro video HD video camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
I think Pentax has done a pretty good job with K-7 so far.
See my last post. For the most part, I agree. I'm still holding out until I see long exposure results.
05-30-2009, 10:52 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Wow! That is your best answer?

By definition, I am a Pentaxian (unless this means something other than an owner of Pentax equipment).

Not saying there is anything bad about the camera...but golly, I want to know what is really mind blowing (but useful) on this camera... something that make make international reviewers sit-up and take notice of Pentax.

- I already mentioned the significantly improved SR. That should get reviewers attention.
- There is also the in camera 3-shot HDR capturing. Since HDR is becoming a 'hot' topic, it seems that the Pentax engineers are paying attention to future needs. I wonder how good it is?
- 77-segment metering system. This seems higher than most? But does this number 77 translate into significantly higher accuracy?
- In-camera Lens Correction function. This could be impressive!
- Vastly improved live view. I still feel they should update the K20D!

Two things kind of ticked me off though.
I was seriously chastised when I complained that the K20D didn't have a magnesium alloy body and the battery grip didn't accept AA batteries.

I was told only inferior cameras were stupid enough to use mag-alloy.. it corrodes near salt water and other such nonsense... their authors not realizing that some of Pentax's top-end cameras 10 years ago all had mag-alloy bodies. Or that AA batteries don't last long enough, etc... Obviously these people have never done field work where AA batteries may be the only type of battery available.

I feel vindicated that the K7 has the magnesium alloy chassis and the new D-BG4 battery grip accepts AA batteries. Perhaps my letters to Pentax worked?

Anyhow, writing this is convincing me to fire-sale my K20D.
Seriously, I haven't ruled out the possibility that I will replace my hated/loved K20D with this one. But my main K20D complaint has yet to be addressed. How does the K7 perform in long (15+ seconds) exposures?
It's a "Canikon" thing!

We as Pentaxians are a seperate enitity........please don't tell anyone else that we have an upper hand............

Ray
05-31-2009, 12:53 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I am not sure. Those who did probably use an external logger solution and consider geotagging "a solved problem". Built-in geotagging simply doesn't even come close in any of the devices which feature it. So, why is it silly (and arrogant) to call it a gimmick if this is the regular experience of those who do?
Because that's your thoughts and is not supposed to be universaly accepted by everyone?
It's everyone duty to label geotagging as gimmick or not, not yours although it may be a gimmick to you !