Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2009, 03:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax k7 HDR

(May this been shared before? Parhaps...if yes, you don't have to comment)
There are just 10 000 of K7 threads there and I don't have time to read all right now so it's littl hard to know..

ok. here we go:

Darken hightlights and light up shadows is one thing that have been known for a long time and HDR is someway tipical in the digital world.

But... Well this is something that I have never been seen before.
It looks and seams very sweet!

YouTube - Pentax K-7?????????K-7??? part-6

important:
look at "2.25". (then you will see what i mean)

This seams pretty awsome.....

Best regards

Emil

05-29-2009, 05:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is the reason I'm going to buy it. This could be the camera making me switch form film to digital. I only use my K10D for causual snapshots. The auto leveling function and metal body/built quality is nifty too. The rest is unimportant in my opinion!

In my photography I'm constantly struggling with contrast range. The K-7 is a game changer for me. Here's some examples:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/40036-pond.html

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 05-29-2009 at 06:30 AM.
05-29-2009, 06:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

http://www.adorama.com/alc/blogartic...mid=80238&jb=0

QuoteQuote:
Even before factoring in the dedicated first of its kind in-camera High Dynamic Range capture mode, the Pentax K-7 is a winner for HDRI shooters. Many other manufacturers would be wise to take a look at the creative controls and feature set that Pentax put into the K-7 for HDR-minded photographers, particularly at this $1,299 US List price point:

One-touch Auto Exposure Bracketing burst setting options.

+/-2 EV spacing for 3 or 5 shots for AEB capture gives an exposure range that is wide enough for many HDR scenes--something that is so lacking on too many models, including the Canon EOS 5D Mark II!

5.2 frames per second burst, offers fast capture of the AEB sequence.

User-selectable Adobe DNG RAW mode is already compatible with all HDR programs without waiting for the next round of RAW support upgrades.

This set of features alone is enough to the make the Pentax K-7 a 2009 HDR SLR All-Star. Add the impressive in-camera HDR processing to the mix, and it's in a league of its own.

and

QuoteQuote:
Then it's all into the proverbial and actual black box with the three images. (I pried Pentax for details, but they wouldn't share the in-camera magic.) What comes out of the Black Box is an image crunched from the very wide dynamic range of the three source images that's tone mapped without excessive haloing, hypersaturation, or inversions, in JPEG format. There's no alignment, no deghosting, and no sensor-shift stabilization during HDR Capture. Use a tripod.

AAAAAAAAAAAwsome
05-29-2009, 06:32 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
(May this been shared before? Parhaps...if yes, you don't have to comment)
There are just 10 000 of K7 threads there and I don't have time to read all right now so it's littl hard to know..

ok. here we go:

Darken hightlights and light up shadows is one thing that have been known for a long time and HDR is someway tipical in the digital world.

But... Well this is something that I have never been seen before.
It looks and seams very sweet!

YouTube - Pentax K-7?????????K-7??? part-6

important:
look at "2.25". (then you will see what i mean)

This seams pretty awsome.....

Best regards

Emil
My question is whether or not can affect RAW images as well as jpgs. Because if the result is a jpg, then it's no better than what may be accomplished in ACR. Anyway, didn't the K20D have Dynamic Range Expansion? I know Nikon has something similar
on many of their upper tier cameras. It remains to be seen whether the K-7 brings anything new to the table. Mostly, I'm just hoping for D700-like headroom in dynamic range processing.

05-29-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are a couple other threads on the HDR feature that have some of the questions answered:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/60846-pentax-k-7-hdr.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/60902-hdr-k-7-review.html

The K20D HDR feature was just a filter. It takes one exposure and pushes the shadows and highlights. In the K-7 it takes 3 RAW exposures and then tone maps them in-camera. So technically it is tone-mapped LDR image. The biggest downside of the HDR capture mode is that the 3 RAW images are not written to memory. So what Jack Howard recomends is that you show AEB/DNGRAW+JPEG and then switch over to HDR Capture mode for the same scene to maximize your shooting if you want to have the bracketted shots for something else.
05-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sezme Quote
Because if the result is a jpg, then it's no better than what may be accomplished in ACR.
It is not meant to be better at all; you can definitely get better results by doing all the post processing yourself, as you can fine tune it to exactly how you like it. As such, K-7 only has two settings, strong and normal. But it opens up a new horizon and becomes instantly accessible to a lot of users who don't do much advanced post processing themselves. And it saves a lot of time too!