Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
(UK) SRS Microsystems K-7 Preview

On June 6th from 10am on wards at their watford store (UK)

Who's going? Meet up?

05-31-2009, 01:37 PM   #2

I'll be there late afternoon!
05-31-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does anyone know if the units there will be final production ones? (i.e. final firmware etc)

Just thought I'd if anyone had asked SRS already, if not I'll drop them a line.
06-01-2009, 02:53 AM   #4

I'm going to be on holiday so I can't make it... frankly I'd rather be going to SRS to play with the K-7!

06-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Does anyone know if the units there will be final production ones? (i.e. final firmware etc)

Just thought I'd if anyone had asked SRS already, if not I'll drop them a line.
They are expecting production models as they have already had a play with some beta models but won't be sure until the day (this may have changed as I asked last week)
06-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
Forum Member

Pentax themselves will be there with a few bodies to play with...so if anyone has the latest firmware it should be them.
06-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
They are expecting production models as they have already had a play with some beta models but won't be sure until the day (this may have changed as I asked last week)
Cheers, thanks for that.

I live in London but Watford is a b*gger to get to from where I live. If I could convince a fellow Pentax user friend of mine to make the trip with with me I might make the trip.
06-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
Forum Member

Fairly tempted myself....

Duncan

06-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #9

HANDS ON WITH K7
Well I’m back from a brief visit to SRS. Marred only by my wife’s warning that I’ll be divorced if I come back with a Pentax box!
The K7 is VERY nice. In fact it's VERY VERY nice! Compact but solid. Strangely it doesn't feel very different to my K20 in the (right) hand. Which will be good news for anyone thinking it would be too small or hard to hold. I think this is because the grip dimensions are probably very similar but overall it looks quite a bit smaller.
It is VERY quiet and in drive mode it shoots VERY fast. I didn't see how long it took to slow down because I got fed up waiting after several seconds of rapid fire and didn't want to spend the next 5 minutes deleting frames! I didn’t try to check out all the functions as there were a lot of other people waiting to get their hands on it but it will be a big hit! Great viewfinder, proper live view WITH AUTOFOCUS!
Damn just realised I forgot to try the video mode. Doh!

It was pre production software and I thought image quality wasn't as good as I had been expecting but then I spotted I was in AV mode at f16 and 100asa taking shots indoors or out into an overcast street, so it was probably asking too much of the shake reduction!
All ( I think) of the current lenses were there too along with the new WR kit lens, which looks and handles very nicely and optically, (based on a couple of snapshots!) it looks to be pretty decent.
Then I put the DA* 60 –250 on and it all got very nice indeed! I was taken by surprise at how quickly it snapped into focus and completely silently, as far as I could tell in the shop anyway. That really is a very nice lens indeed. I had been hoping to buy the 35mm limited macro and the 50 –135 after I’ve paid for the summer holidays but the forthcoming price rises have scuppered that plan I fear. I also got to try the 50 –135 which I had been lusting after and must say I preferred it’s handling over the 60-250 but the extra reach of the longer zoom has made me less sure about which one to go for. Probably neither if I can’t buy them in the next couple of weeks as they’ll be well out of my price range then! I also tried the 35 limited and I must say I was very impressed. Very sharp and it focuses so close that I’d be afraid of bumping the front element!. Definitely need a filter on this one! This is right at the top of my must buy list now. (The 21 ltd is nice too, reminds me of my favourite 35mm on a film body) The only thing that could bump the 35 ltd as my next purchase is if we get a Pentax friendly version of the Tokina 11-16 . It doesn’t even have to be weather proofed, just put a K mount on it! Why are the Hoya cameras the only ones that can’t use this Hoya lens?!!
I had only intended buying some sensor cleaning swabs on my visit but I also came away with a very nice little manual focus Sigma 24mm superwide II. ( Well I had to feed my LBA after trying out all that lovely glass!) I’d been after one for ages on e-bay but always got pipped at the last second. I couldn’t believe my luck when I saw not one but two in the window and at a tenth of the price of the other lenses I was after…. And it meant I could avoid divorce as I wouldn’t be bringing home a Pentax box!
I tried it on my k20 as soon as I got home and it’s an absolute gem!
Anyway......The K7 is set to be a real winner. It's compact, solid, with nice clean lines, a bit like the old 1980's film bodies to my mind. It handles beautifully, nice big clear bright lcd with easy to read/follow menus, great viewfinder, very quiet, very fast in drive mode, lightning fast autofocus with SDM and the screw drive seemed faster than on my K20 too( although I didn't have anything to compare it to.)
Now I need to buy some lottery tickets……..

Sorry this was longer than I intended!