Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Positive Wired News Review of K-7

Not a review that I'd ever want to base a camera purchase on or anything, but it's a good review on a high traffic site:

Pentax K-7 DSLR | Wired.com Product Reviews

06-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

There are positive reviews showing up everywhere. I have a feeling we are going to see a lot of new members on here soon and a few old friends that left us. Get ready for the flood of "I just switched from C/N/ etc, how do I use an old lens on my new K-7?"

This review is almost gushing. Pentax K-7
06-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"By and large, it's a super quick focusing compact image-maker — once you learn how the menu system works. But it's just a step or two behind Nikon and Canon in ease of use."

Ok they obviously never used a nikon as they have the worst interface ( aka D80 and D90 )

canon isn't so great either, they only have prettier icons :P
06-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
There are positive reviews showing up everywhere. I have a feeling we are going to see a lot of new members on here soon and a few old friends that left us. Get ready for the flood of "I just switched from C/N/ etc, how do I use an old lens on my new K-7?"

This review is almost gushing. Pentax K-7
care to say hello to a new member?

06-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Absolutely, welcome to our little corner of the internet. I had a look at your other posts and wonder what other cameras you've used? I see you've been looking at prime lenses and wonder if you've checked out the Limited series.
06-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
"By and large, it's a super quick focusing compact image-maker — once you learn how the menu system works. But it's just a step or two behind Nikon and Canon in ease of use."

Ok they obviously never used a nikon as they have the worst interface ( aka D80 and D90 )

canon isn't so great either, they only have prettier icons :P
Jackson Lynch, who wrote the article and who I have met with a couple times, is a professional photographer who is used to shooting Canon. We had him into our offices to introduce him to the K-7 and he is a great guy. He mentioned the interface multiple times throughout our day together and actually had some good ideas on how to make minor tweaks.
06-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
Jackson Lynch, who wrote the article and who I have met with a couple times, is a professional photographer who is used to shooting Canon. We had him into our offices to introduce him to the K-7 and he is a great guy. He mentioned the interface multiple times throughout our day together and actually had some good ideas on how to make minor tweaks.

I have no problems with my K20D menus, but I do find myself scrolling around a lot. The K-7 is simply a perfect instrument in terms of features and specs... the reviews appear to confirm this.

I only have one problem: I absolutely love my K20D, but it's really meaningful that Pentax is providing me with an upgrade path.

An 18-250 SDM with Weathersealing would be the icing on the cake - it would be my "travel" lens.

06-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Absolutely, welcome to our little corner of the internet. I had a look at your other posts and wonder what other cameras you've used? I see you've been looking at prime lenses and wonder if you've checked out the Limited series.
thanks ! I did take a look at those before. actually, I'm a bit angry at myself for not buying some of those lenses, including the limiteds last March. I was thinking of buying some probably before May because I was still a bit having second thoughts on buying the K20D. the 700-800 deal was quite tempting to tell you the truth. the only reason that kept me from buying it is the shutter speed and fps. other than that, the K20D was perfect.

I can't believe that Pentax lens prices would balloon after a month. they now cost from 100 to 200 dollars more these days, including the 40 and 70. some sell it at price doubled (whatta bunch of wolves). anyway, on a positive note, the patience paid off I guess, otherwise I would be sour-graping right now for not waiting for the K-7.

I did manage to buy the lenses I was looking for, that I would use for majority of the shots that I would take. it wasn't easy looking for them though. the 50-135 has to wait til X'mas. it's price is a bit of a pain. if it weren't for the K-7, I would had bought it as well.

I'm a classic Nikon user, had a Fuji used for HDR imaging(the K-7 seems to bolster this feature now and include it in it's arsenal) , then Nikon dSLR user before the K20D hypnotized me to jump ship. I would say that Pentax is not a hoax nor only a marketing success. it is no longer a push-over and made the top dog brands something to be scared about.
06-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

User interface will take almost no time to master...the improved white balance on the other hand, this news really excites me as it one of only a small handful of complaints I have about my K10D. Also, the improved metering should be a big plus.

Jason
06-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wired? You mean the ones who bashed the GX-20? Yeah, I'll believe everything they say from now on.
06-03-2009, 04:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
So, any chance of those changes making it into the final firmware?
06-03-2009, 05:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Not a review that I'd ever want to base a camera purchase on or anything, but it's a good review on a high traffic site:

Pentax K-7 DSLR | Wired.com Product Reviews
Not possitive enough,
It comes out at the same price as the D90.
Has better body,
sealed,
same high end LCD
better WB according to them,
better video according to what I have seen,
in built stabalization,
more compact,
more responcive,
more pixels,
HDR
more features,
5.2 FPS,
100% viewfinder,
level detector
nicer AF assist light, (green instead of screaming white)
1/8000th of a second.
Real Iso 100
9 cross type sensors that are now super quick
AF adjustment.
on tripod adjustments.

Yet, because they could not get used to the UI in a day it gets marked down to 8/10 verses the near perfection the D90 has at 9/10

BolloX

Bias BIAS, Bias,

and it was not even a preproduction unit.
06-03-2009, 06:28 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Wasn't this the same site that reviewed (and panned) the K20D because the two reviewers didn't know their heads from their arses? Or was that a different magazine?

Yup, here's the thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/42845-worst-review-ever.html
06-03-2009, 06:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Personally, I find the Pentax menus much more logical & usable than those on Canon (40D) and Nikon (D300 & D700) ones. I know some of that is due to habit.

As far as global UI/usability goes, Canon's is a utter crap IMHO. Nikon's is better, but still lags behind Pentax as far as "getting out of the way of the photographer" goes.

You can make most important adjustment on the Pentax (K10D, K20D, K-7) without taking your eye away from the viewfinder and without moving your hands around too much. On the Nikon D300, for exampe, changing ISO required you to move your left hand to the top-left of the body (therefore changing your hold on the camera) to press a button.

Even changing lenses is simpler on the Pentax: I can press the lens release button without taking my right hand off the camera's grip. The lens release button on Canons and Nikons is on the opposite side, requiring more hand movements and either forcing you to hold the camera by the left side (less grip) and turn it around completely (slower, more manipulations).
06-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
Yet, because they could not get used to the UI in a day it gets marked down to 8/10 verses the near perfection the D90 has at 9/10
I don't get that either. The review doesn't explain why 20% of the marks have been deducted. Although it is fair to assume that the reviewer took issue with the menu system, he should have mentioned what is suboptimal about it. Just stating "a step or two behind" is not informative. I may completely disagree with what the reviewer thinks are "a step or two behind" and prefer the K-7 way.