Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
Pentaxian

K7's replacement- what, when, and who?

The K7 looks like a great camera...I'm waiting eagerly for the first tests and reviews.

Although some unimaginative posters will roll their saying it's way too early...the K7 isn't even in consumers hands as of yet.

That's right...I acknowledge that fact...now if that's all you have...let's move on.

This is a fun thread...a speculative thread.

However many are wondering what the future...in these....uncertain times will hold for Pentax. Part of Pentax's future will of course be predicated on the acceptance of the new K7 and also on the sales of the basic entry KM/K2000.

It seems fairly established that Pentax will continue with it's current frame size...no full framers in the future...unless of course, market forces cause Pentax to reconsider.

So the questions remain:
  • What features, level will the K7's replacement have and be ?
  • When will the K7 replacement come out ?
  • Who...which parent company ie; Hoya...or will Samsung or will some other corporate entity take over by then ?
  • I almost forgot...will Pentax replace their much vaunted medium formats...the Pentax 6 X 7 and the 645...with the digital equivalents ?
  • Where do you see Pentax in 5 years...in 10 years ?

06-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
In Japan.

06-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #3

Almost sure then they plan to repeat the k10d - k20d situation - a fine new body with average sensor. and in a year the same body with better sensor.
06-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

ppl will roll their eyes but I am happy about this thread..

Pentax made a great camera the K-7 that's great but we must let them know that we are waiting for more..

personalty I am waiting for FF Pentax and I am not ashamed to say that ... yes I am waiting for a FF pentax ... hopefully in a smaller body then the 5D ....I am investing in FF Pentax ( buying only FF lenses) and I will pay for a FF pentax camera ...

06-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

More lenses, everyone of them weather sealed.
A killer entry-level body, also weather sealed.
DFA* 24-70/2.8, DFA*12-24/2.8 and DFA*70-200/2.8 to prepare for the inevitable.
06-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
So the questions remain:
  • What features, level will the K7's replacement have and be ?
  • When will the K7 replacement come out ?
  • Who...which parent company ie; Hoya...or will Samsung or will some other corporate entity take over by then ?
  • I almost forgot...will Pentax replace their much vaunted medium formats...the Pentax 6 X 7 and the 645...with the digital equivalents ?
If we take as reference the time it took to replace the K10D with the K-7, we can see the next big changes in about 2-3 years. A lot of things happen in a few months so I don't think even Pentax has an idea of what will be changed on the camera. We may see a mild upgrade ala K20D sometimes next year. Maybe a newer sensor (16-18MP ?).

The success of the Samsung NX project may also change directions. But somehow the NX and the K-7 share probably some features (liveview, video, sensor...).

We'll see the 645D next year (hopefully) but I don't see any 6x7 digital in the future. I'm not even sure the 645D will be full frame.

The next camera from Pentax is supposed to be released by year end. A K200D replacement, a mid-level camera that will probably follow the K-? nomenclature.

Pentax in 5 or 10 years? 10 years is very long in a technological sector and anything can happen. In 5 years, they could break or still sitting on a comfortable niche. I, of course, don't see them taking over Canon or Nikon, unless they have a really powerful partnertship. In fact I believe in the long term only the big electronic giants will dominate: Sony, Samsung, Panasonic... maybe Canon. Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, etc maybe relegated to brand names. Which is already the case for Pentax since the Hoya take over.
06-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
personalty I am waiting for FF Pentax and I am not ashamed to say that ... yes I am waiting for a FF pentax ... hopefully in a smaller body then the 5D ....I am investing in FF Pentax ( buying only FF lenses) and I will pay for a FF pentax camera ...
IMHO it's a bit foolish to invest in something that has not even be promised by Pentax. The current FF lenses may not even work that well on a FF digital and may not have the new features like WR SDM digital coating, etc. But it's your money after alll
06-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I I, of course, don't see them taking over Canon or Nikon, unless they have a really powerful partnertship. In fact I believe in the long term only the big electronic giants will dominate: Sony, Samsung, Panasonic... maybe Canon. Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, etc maybe relegated to brand names. Which is already the case for Pentax since the Hoya take over.
I agree that in the future only the big electronic companies will dominate and the camera companies will become a part of them. I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax is sold to some firm...perhaps Samsung.

06-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
IMHO it's a bit foolish to invest in something that has not even be promised by Pentax. The current FF lenses may not even work that well on a FF digital and may not have the new features like WR SDM digital coating, etc. But it's your money after alll
you are right investing in Pentax to begin with is a bit of a risk ... everybody told me that before I choose my K20D and I made my decision and invested in pentax after all with all the risk...

foolish yes... but for now the FA ltd and all the backward lenses made by penatx are working great on digital.
even with high pixel resolution like the K20 , and some times even with better results then new pentax lenses and way better result then the compotition... so ...whats another risk ?..
06-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, I am sure most of the people would want a full-frame dSLR introduced by Pentax. Honestly, I wouldn't really care considering the price tag of a full frame, and I am sure most Olympus shooters haven't even considered this for a while (probably when they were chosing which brand). Either way, I hope Pentax doesn't make a full frame dSLR until the next 5-10 years (there will probably be a new sensor type then) because with just 5% of the market, a lot of money would have to be placed on research + designing.

What I would rather see is more lenses (and this no1 can deny)

And for those rich enough to buy a full frame dslr (if it comes out), I envy you.

And right now it is too early to tell what the replacement will be. Seriously, the D400 hasn't even came out yet (and that camera created new standards )
06-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Well, I am sure most of the people would want a full-frame dSLR introduced by Pentax. Honestly, I wouldn't really care considering the price tag of a full frame, and I am sure most Olympus shooters haven't even considered this for a while (probably when they were chosing which brand). Either way, I hope Pentax doesn't make a full frame dSLR until the next 5-10 years (there will probably be a new sensor type then) because with just 5% of the market, a lot of money would have to be placed on research + designing.

What I would rather see is more lenses (and this no1 can deny)

And for those rich enough to buy a full frame dslr (if it comes out), I envy you.

And right now it is too early to tell what the replacement will be. Seriously, the D400 hasn't even came out yet (and that camera created new standards )
well leica makes about 500 M8s a year and sell them all... I am sure that a FF pentax will sell more than that..
I am not sure how the camera business works but if leica can do a high end model and sell only 500 a year and still survive by selling a lot of low end models then it might be possible ... I might be wrong thou... I am far from being an expert.. I follow my heart and my heart loves pentax ..
06-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
you are right investing in Pentax to begin with is a bit of a risk ... everybody told me that before I choose my K20D and I made my decision and invested in pentax after all with all the risk...

foolish yes... but for now the FA ltd and all the backward lenses made by penatx are working great on digital.
even with high pixel resolution like the K20 , and some times even with better results then new pentax lenses and way better result then the compotition... so ...whats another risk ?..
I think the K-7 is looking to be enough for me to breathe easy a while on the future models, enough to kit out a bit with glass and know there'll be somewhere to go if I need more performance. For now, I've pretty much got what I need: I'm all about basics and rarely push any performance envelopes but high-ISO. I kin dof hope the model after this will really just put paid to worries about AF speed, and make the finder just right. I guess the bells-and-whistles of video and live view and the like were kind of obligatory, but it's the basics I'm most interested in. Hopefully they'll put the effort there for the next model. For now, this ought to do.
06-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #13
Banned

The 645D was shown along with the K-7 at the Tokyo show about a week ago so I would think it will be coming out in the next 12 months.

06-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm expecting something like the K-8
06-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The 645D was shown along with the K-7 at the Tokyo show about a week ago so I would think it will be coming out in the next 12 months.
Judging the 2:nd picture, to me, it looks like the 645D is going to be sealed.
But the 3:rd picture with completely opened back makes me wonder....it doesn't look like there is any rubber around the edges on the opened back, but they could have added that on the body instead. Or, instead of body, should I say; "other half of the camera" instead?

Is this the latest prototype? We have seen pictures of the first prototype (from a few years ago) with the back opened, but, as far as I know, there hasn't been any pictures before on the new(est) prototype with the back opened.
I know some of you can instantly see the other changes that they made to the updated prototype and verify if it is actually that version we see in the third picture (with opened back).

Still, even if they have a prototype with opened back, it doesn't mean that they will release a 645D with interchangeable sensor. I've seen pictures of a clear-plastic K10D and a cut-in-half K-7. That doesn't mean....well, you get my point.