Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adorama Labels the K7 a "System Changer"

See review here: Adorama Learning Center - Hands-On Review: Two Hours with the revolutionary Pentax K-7

06-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whether I end up buying the K-7 at some point or not, it's nice to see this much favorable attention being given to Pentax.
06-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

we need an " I Like" button like in facebook

redpigeons Like this!
06-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #4

Jim, You know I will own this camera if it is even a fraction of the early reviews.

06-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nels Quote
Jim, You know I will own this camera if it is even a fraction of the early reviews.
You better! I may need to borrow it!
06-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I know we tried to answer this question before but when analyzing this review it shows again:

1. "It’s been a long time since Pentax tried to build a pro camera"

2. "The K-7 is the most advanced Pentax DSLR yet, and has features that serious amateurs, hobbyists and yes, even semi-pros, will find very attractive"

so according to Adorama after all the compliment the K-7 is "almost" a semi pro camera..?

but the canon 50D
and Nikon D90 , D300 is a semi pro?

does Pentax pays money to stay amateurish on reviews or Canon and Nikon

or should I ignore all reviews for now on ...

I know I should not care but I do...
06-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RP: I don't know why you are having trouble with this review. It is a very positive reivew. Even in your first bullet you failed to finish the quote. Here's the rest of it:
"but historically it has built truly inspired, innovative SLRs/DSLRs for consumers and enthusiasts who appreciate innovative cameras" What's not to like about this?
And to be truthful do you truely want "Pro" equipment? I work for the wonderful people that build some of NYC's subway cars. As professionals, we need some fairly sophisticated electronic diagnostic gear. The laptops we take out into the field are "Pro level" in every sense, I've even dropped on on 600V 3rd rail and it didn't completely fry it. (the screen is a bit wonky now and some of the I/O ports don't work so good, and we had to replace the hard drive. But it still works. But guess what? The machines are loaded with Windows 2000! Scarcely cutting edge technology. Why Win2K? because it's bomb proof! A pro needs reliable, not necessarily cutting edge. As a serious amateur hobbyist, I'm not sure I want bomb proof, I want cutting edge.

NaCl(Just my 2 cents)H2O

06-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
I know we tried to answer this question before but when analyzing this review it shows again:

2. "The K-7 is the most advanced Pentax DSLR yet, and has features that serious amateurs, hobbyists and yes, even semi-pros, will find very attractive"

so according to Adorama after all the compliment the K-7 is "almost" a semi pro camera..?

but the canon 50D

considering the many features that the K-7 have, which some are similar or better than those of other semi-pro cameras from Canikons and a few more extra features that their Canikons counterpart don't have, I find the statement rather revolting.

I guess the missing feature that makes the Pentax fall short of being called a semi-pro cam is the name PENTAX itself.

it is funny though that you hit the nail on that one when you compared the D90, D300 and Canon 50D (you can include the 40D as well). those dSLRs you've mentioned and the 40D that I mentioned are considered mid-level/ semi-pro dSLRs that almost have the same features of that of the Pentax though the K-7 has more additional features than the others dont have.

since review sites seem to underrate Pentax, then I guess they'll just put a monicker along side it to save people from wasting their time. "PENTAX" the almost semi-pro cam. I wouldn't mind the K20D being called almost though.

give the K-7 it's due credit for christ's sake.
06-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Maybe "Pro" equipment isn't made for amateurs, meaning no automatic mode stuff, no green mode and all.

Examples are the D3 and 1D. Only P, A/Av, S/Tv, M on those models.
06-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
RP: I don't know why you are having trouble with this review. It is a very positive reivew. Even in your first bullet you failed to finish the quote. Here's the rest of it:
"but historically it has built truly inspired, innovative SLRs/DSLRs for consumers and enthusiasts who appreciate innovative cameras" What's not to like about this?
And to be truthful do you truely want "Pro" equipment? I work for the wonderful people that build some of NYC's subway cars. As professionals, we need some fairly sophisticated electronic diagnostic gear. The laptops we take out into the field are "Pro level" in every sense, I've even dropped on on 600V 3rd rail and it didn't completely fry it. (the screen is a bit wonky now and some of the I/O ports don't work so good, and we had to replace the hard drive. But it still works. But guess what? The machines are loaded with Windows 2000! Scarcely cutting edge technology. Why Win2K? because it's bomb proof! A pro needs reliable, not necessarily cutting edge. As a serious amateur hobbyist, I'm not sure I want bomb proof, I want cutting edge.

NaCl(Just my 2 cents)H2O
I do find it positive compared to other review sites but a bit short. it is more like categorizing the K-7 in the serious amateur department that some semi-pros will find very attractive. I mean why dont they just categorize it in a way that they categorize the D300? is the D300 any better?

maybe it is to influence a much larger market. if that's the case, it would had been helpful if they also included the entry-level photographers. I'm sure the entry level photographers would find the K-7 attractive as well.
06-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Maybe "Pro" equipment isn't made for amateurs, meaning no automatic mode stuff, no green mode and all.

Examples are the D3 and 1D. Only P, A/Av, S/Tv, M on those models.

Pro equiptment mostly(if not all) are FFs. the distinction of the K-7 is starting from serious amateur photographers more like the same as was the K20D. most of the Canikons reviews started with the distinction that this camera is a semi-pro. you could just seen the difference. it would had been better if they ranked the K-7 starting from semi-pro to beginners. atleast they tried to avoid any misconceptions as to which level is it really categorized.
06-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #12

Pro Means Pro Level Service and Repair Network

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote

but the canon 50D

To me, actually playing in the "Pro" arena requires a professional level service and repair network that Pentax just doesn't have. They announced a program that apparently applies to the 654D and they may expand that program to other product lines later. If I were depending on my gear for my day to day income, downtime would most certainly be a concern and I would probably be looking at Canikon.
With all of that said, I am glad that Pentax doesn't play in that arena because the cost would certainly trickle down to all of the "non pro" products. I will happily take a camera body that has pro level specs for the price of the K-7 no matter how it is classified by the reviewers.
06-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
To me, actually playing in the "Pro" arena requires a professional level service and repair network that Pentax just doesn't have. They announced a program that apparently applies to the 654D and they may expand that program to other product lines later. If I were depending on my gear for my day to day income, downtime would most certainly be a concern and I would probably be looking at Canikon.
With all of that said, I am glad that Pentax doesn't play in that arena because the cost would certainly trickle down to all of the "non pro" products. I will happily take a camera body that has pro level specs for the price of the K-7 no matter how it is classified by the reviewers.
I see that makes sens ...
06-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
Banned

you people do realize you are debating and discussing bothing more than marketing terms? if the K-7 had a FF sensore it would magically be a 'pro' camera guaranteed. change nothing but the sensor it becomes pro. these are nothing nore than merketing terms. the K-7 is just as much 'pro' as say a nikon D3, is the D better equipped for certain things? yes. but does that mean that a pro cannon and will not use a K-7? well lest see... there are plenty of pros who currently use K10 and 20s... they are just marketing terms, people. would any of you actually choose to buy or not buy this camera soley on how its marketed and described by the cwebsites who review and sell it? that rubbish. it is what it is, and it will preform no different whether its labled as 'pro' or 'semi-pro' or 'advanced amateur'. or 'feature packed high quality camera lacking a FF sensor, but with an incredible price for the amount of technology packed into an industry leading small frame, that is perfectly usuable by any competent pro for any type of photography' camera.
06-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
you people do realize you are debating and discussing bothing more than marketing terms? if the K-7 had a FF sensore it would magically be a 'pro' camera guaranteed. change nothing but the sensor it becomes pro. these are nothing nore than merketing terms. the K-7 is just as much 'pro' as say a nikon D3, is the D better equipped for certain things? yes. but does that mean that a pro cannon and will not use a K-7? well lest see... there are plenty of pros who currently use K10 and 20s... they are just marketing terms, people. would any of you actually choose to buy or not buy this camera soley on how its marketed and described by the cwebsites who review and sell it? that rubbish. it is what it is, and it will preform no different whether its labled as 'pro' or 'semi-pro' or 'advanced amateur'. or 'feature packed high quality camera lacking a FF sensor, but with an incredible price for the amount of technology packed into an industry leading small frame, that is perfectly usuable by any competent pro for any type of photography' camera.
you have a point there but would it make any logical sense if you call a D3 or anything under that type of camera as an entry level dSLR if this was all just a marketing term?