Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Hi RH, I left you a blog entry.

Basically, all samples you cross-linked (and the links don't work) are out of focus, from all vendors. Except K-m for whatever reason (smaller aperture?).

The reviewer simply didn't care to focus properly as these are meant to be noise tests. We know that detail is important in noise tests, the reviewer obviously does not.

So maybe, you revisit your blog article as I think it is misleading.
my same thoughts exactly with regards to the out of focus results. out of focus shots are not solely dependent with the camera, but also with the lens used and the one who is behind the camera. plus, the fact that those results were taken by a pre-production camera with only a beta firmware.

*I'm not bailing out for the K-7.

06-05-2009, 07:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
So maybe, you revisit your blog article as I think it is misleading.
I think I've stated already for the possibility of reviewer's problem and he doesn't know how to make the focus, haven't I? :-)
06-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #18

I agree with Ricehigh at this point I have not seen a single K7 photo that makes me jump for joy. I am a bit discouraged at this point.
06-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrt10x Quote
I agree with Ricehigh at this point I have not seen a single K7 photo that makes me jump for joy. I am a bit discouraged at this point.
Fact is that most reviewers are gadget geeks and not so much interested in taking technically perfect photos. To me, sample photos from camera tests are worthless; I'd rather wait for the first batch of photos taken by real photographers like us

06-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a strange comment. The camera hasn't even been released, or tested by a real professional site. These leaked images are noteworthy in that they are *meaningless*. What is predictable is that the K-7 will be very close to the K20D in image quality. If you were happy with the K20D, you'll probably be happy with the K-7. If you weren't ...
06-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #21

Fact is I wasn’t really happy with the K20D. I thought the AF was extremely weak and inaccurate and I was very unhappy with its high ISO performance. I have been banking on the K7 being the camera to keep me with Pentax..who I have been with for 25 years, including MF. I have one on pre-order, and will evaluate for myself, all i am saying is that I am a bit discouraged. You making excuses based on 100% supposition that the folks taking the photos are unskilled or do not know how to find their ass with both hands does nothing to reassure me and is equally or even more ridiculous than my statement.
06-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Fact is I wasn’t really happy with the K20D. I thought the AF was extremely weak and inaccurate and I was very unhappy with its high ISO performance. I have been banking on the K7 being the camera to keep me with Pentax.
I believe you're setting yourself up to be disappointed. It is, IMHO, unrealistic to expect the K-7 to improve spectacularly on the K20D's IQ.

I prefer to think of it as a K20D in a much improved package, with faster AF, better metering, and a better shutter. I do expect fairly minor IQ improvements, but nothing earth-shattering.

Then again, I'm upgrading from a K10D, so I'm probably easier to impress

06-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #23

Didn’t say I wasn’t happy with the IQ of the k20,, well except at high ISO. Improved AF and metering will fix two issues with the k20, and I don’t do enough high ISO stuff for that to be the deciding factor. I took some really great shots with the k20 and my new 31mm ltd that had me back in the Pentax camp.. I believe some of the AF issues I had with the k20 were also my fault and asking the camera/lens combo I was using to do too much. Maybe all the sample photos on the multiple sites that have them were taken by a bunch of buffoons.. I don’t know.. but so far I haven’t seen one that makes me truly happy. I get that these are from pre-production cameras with pre-production firmware.. I am just not as optimistic as I was a week ago.

I also know that it has only been a couple of years since I sold the 645II and bought the k10 and then the K20... I still may be guilty of pixel peeping and seeing softness where others don’t. I am still learning the ins and outs of my Epson 3800 and that combo with my newness to the digital medium and the K20 specifically may be responsible for much of my pessimism.
06-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

If the image quality is not as good as, lets say the K-m, then I would think a lot of the internal features on the K-7 WOULD be meaningless (This applies to ALL cameras for crying out loud!). The in camera HDR, +-5EV are all meant to help make "better" photos. (just a side note)

What the two things I don't think are fair about review, is that when consumers are reading this review (considering they researched a little) and then see that the author compares the K-7 to be "almost as good" as the E-620, the reader just makes a frown and looks elsewhere for a semi-pro dSLR.

Secondly, he gives 10/10 for features and handling and 9/10 for performance, but gives the K-7 an overall 9/10. If you look at the EOS 50D review, 8/10 on both features+ handling and 9/10 on performance, yet it still gets an overall score of 9/10. He doesn't even mention of the previous 40D and how the 50D isn't a great step up from the 40D. Isn't the overall score supposed to be an average? Because if it isn't, then i'm sure he can just give any camera a 9/10 score.
06-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I have to much invested in lenses and i'm not about to turn to the dark side.

I'm going from a K100DS, the K-7 WILL be my next body purchase come "Hell or high water!"
06-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I think that you just might have misquoted RH.

It was the reviewer that made a mistake and not the camera's fault?
06-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
After viewing all those different K-7 sample photos and videos by different people in the recent days, I have not a good feeling about the near future and what will happen when the production K-7 arrives.
nope,,pretty clear
06-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I think I've stated already for the possibility of reviewer's problem and he doesn't know how to make the focus, haven't I? :-)

I'm really don't have a grasp on where you are comming from MRTX.

Let's just wait for the camera to come to us before the camera gets to us.

Ray
06-05-2009, 11:50 PM   #29

its really pretty simple Ray, I havent seen a single sample photo on any website that makes me jump for joy. Still gonna buy the camera, and hope that the photos I have seen were the results of poor technique, pre-production cameras or firmware. That is all I have said all along..but the moment anyone says anything other than this camera is gonna solve world hunger and crap daisies out of its I/O ports folks go all high and right.
06-05-2009, 11:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

its really pretty simple Ray, I havent seen a single sample photo on any website that makes me jump for joy. Still gonna buy the camera, and hope that the photos I have seen were the results of poor technique, pre-production cameras or firmware. That is all I have said all along..but the moment anyone says anything other than this camera is gonna solve world hunger and crap daisies out of its I/O ports folks go all high and right.

It looks like we are in the same boat my friend.

I'm in to Pentax for the long run, I ain't changing platforms until someone prys my lenses from my cold, stiff, dead hands............

Ray