Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #16
Banned

not much of a wanna-be pentaxian if they go into a place looking for a k-7 and get talked into something from another brand that is either higher in price or lower in spec. lets be clear, the K-7 is almost in a class of its own regarding feature set vs price.

06-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #17
Banned

Hello it's now 2009 and spending big money on TV ads to sell the K-7 would be a total waste of money. Anyone with half a brain looking to buy a mid ranged DSLR knows everything there is to know about it from the internet. They should just buy banner ads like they have on all of the big photography websites. Pentax gets a ton of free K-7 advertising all over the internet.
Pentax K-7 - Bing Video
06-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Hello it's now 2009 and spending big money on TV ads to sell the K-7 would be a total waste of money. Anyone with half a brain looking to buy a mid ranged DSLR knows everything there is to know about it from the internet. They should just buy banner ads like they have on all of the big photography websites. Pentax gets a ton of free K-7 advertising all over the internet.
Pentax K-7 - Bing Video
yes, but will that reach the more non camera/tech savy mass market? I imagine Pentax would like to sell K-7's to everyone, even if they market it for a specific set of users. I can personally vouch for how effective the simple tv ads done by canon for their new rebel with video have been. not on myself certainly, no I will be getting a K-7, but I have had people tell me after seeing that ad, that they want a DSLR with video and the canon will be their first choice....
06-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
yes, but will that reach the more non camera/tech savy mass market? I imagine Pentax would like to sell K-7's to everyone, even if they market it for a specific set of users. I can personally vouch for how effective the simple tv ads done by canon for their new rebel with video have been. not on myself certainly, no I will be getting a K-7, but I have had people tell me after seeing that ad, that they want a DSLR with video and the canon will be their first choice....
And wasting money for TV ads will not change a coach potatoes mind.

06-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #20
Banned

what relevance does that have? a couch potato probably isn't going to go out and buy a k-7 anyway. im not saying that they absolutely should run TV ads, but that they should in fact run some sort of proper advertisement. instead of going by word of mouth or bad youtube videos for 'internet experts' to argue over.
06-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the best examples of re-introducing a brand without television ads (and the budgets that they require) is Mini. Ten years ago - in the US at least - only Anglophiles and car enthusiasts knew the brand. Now everyone does. Mini managed this without a single television spot.

Pentax is in a similar position - an older brand with an older core group of enthusiasts but limited awareness elsewhere. In an era where credit is tight and budget-strapped enthusiasts have to put aside their full-frame, L-glass dreams, a high performance/high value position may work.

But Pentax, don't just make a rational argument, appeal to enthusiasts with emotion, find an angle that is uniquely Pentax. The K-7 and its offspring can be a game-changer if the cards are played right....
06-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Not so fast, there have been Mini TV ads, I remember the one with the next door neighbors competeing to see who can get the most tricked out cooper, then there was th whole bulldog series, the of course the whole Italian Job movie.

06-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Not so fast, there have been Mini TV ads, I remember the one with the next door neighbors competeing to see who can get the most tricked out cooper, then there was th whole bulldog series, the of course the whole Italian Job movie.
Maybe more recently, but when the brand/car was introduced to the US in 2002 there was no TV: Read this Case Study. The marketing budget wasn't large, and the agency found more cost-effective ways to get the brand out there. It didn't hurt that the car was very different than everything else out there or that the agency played that to the hilt.

TV is expensive, and probably not the best use of Pentax marketing $$$.

The Italian Job was not advertising, it was brilliant product placement.

Pentax needs a really smart interactive agency to re-launch the brand to the wider population. Or they can just hire me
06-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Maybe more recently, but when the brand/car was introduced to the US in 2002 there was no TV: Read this Case Study. The marketing budget wasn't large, and the agency found more cost-effective ways to get the brand out there. It didn't hurt that the car was very different than everything else out there or that the agency played that to the hilt.

TV is expensive, and probably not the best use of Pentax marketing $$$.

The Italian Job was not advertising, it was brilliant product placement.

Pentax needs a really smart interactive agency to re-launch the brand to the wider population. Or they can just hire me
I remember stumbling across the website when the mini was first launched. it was really appealing, and I did in fact want a new mini for quite a while. of course as someone who knew about the original mini, I was intrigued. I also remember a lot of the original billboards, they were very VWesque in their approach. in fact they are still very similar to what VW has been doing since VW of America was launched in 1955.
06-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #25
Banned

When was the last time you seen an ad for Asus motherboards on TV ? How about Sigma lenses ? How does Asus and Sigma stay in business without TV ads ? This is now 2009 , the internet is the king of media and TV is not the place to sell a $1,300 camera body.
06-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #26
Banned

When was the last time you seen an ad for Asus motherboards on TV ? How about Sigma lenses ? How does Asus and Sigma stay in business without TV ads ? This is now 2009 , the internet is the king of media and TV is not the place to sell a $1,300 camera body.

again, I never said TV was the best place, or the absolute only place. Im saying they need a proper advertising campaign. I have no idea how they stay in business, maybe magazine advertisements? what do motherboards and reverse engineered non OEM lenses have t do with a well known camera marque and its brand new camera?
06-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GearHead Quote
Also, for a spokesman, beauty is good, but this camera deserves a smart macho man, like Arnold Schwarzenegger... Kick arse, Pentax.
CaNikon are for girlie-men. Get you Pentax!
06-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Regardless of where, it needs to be seen by the right people.
06-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Unless it is a super bowl ad and boobies are flashed!
06-05-2009, 09:50 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not sure if it was mentioned, but Canon has some nice ads where they essentially make a video of sports action out of a series of sports stills, with audio to enhance the feeling. It definitely gives you a "Canon is for professionals" feeling.