Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2009, 05:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where's all the K-7 TV press?

OK Pentax, we seem to have a real "winner" with the K-7, what is this new ad agency that you hired doing about it? Where are the witty TV ads at? The French Open would of been a great place to run some commercials... you know.. sporting events and cameras kinda go hand in hand. I sure hope that we don't let the wind be taken out of our sails by another Nikon/Aston Kucher ad or Canon/Maria Sharapova spot.

06-05-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
Banned

I agree, Pentax needs TV advertisement more than anything else right now. but you cant beat Maria Sharapova during the French Open. unless Pentax gets someone even more beautiful?
06-05-2009, 05:52 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Anna Kornikova (sp?) is arguably more beautiful...albeit - retired.

c[_]
06-05-2009, 06:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote

c[_]
Ya...she's the best looking retiree I know of.... Pentax could ask Cohan (Borat / Bruno) to take a K-7 to the opening. I'm sure he could get some great unapproved shots. OK....perhaps not the type of press we are looking for.

I don't think I have ever seen a Pentax TV commercial.....even back in the 80s when they were big. Lots of billboards and mall adds here but nothing so far on the K-7....

06-05-2009, 06:01 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote

c[_]
very arguable, however as typical as it is, I do think Pentax needs something (which in today's world includes a beautiful someone) to help sell their product.
06-05-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
Forum Member

I would wait until they have product on the shelves. Without that, you run an ad and people go to the store to buy it and it is not there, then a slick salesman talks them into a competing product! Oh no! NO!
06-05-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
Forum Member

Also, for a spokesman, beauty is good, but this camera deserves a smart macho man, like Arnold Schwarzenegger... Kick arse, Pentax.

06-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by GearHead Quote
I would wait until they have product on the shelves. Without that, you run an ad and people go to the store to buy it and it is not there, then a slick salesman talks them into a competing product! Oh no! NO!
I disagree. everyone knows 'viral' marketing has worked wonders in recent years. if you build up peoples anticipation and capture their interest, they will stop at nothing to melt their plastic and buy that product, even if they have to wait a few weeks . but if they don't advertise at all on TV (something in which they haven't done for any of their recent products) they will never capture anyone's interest. and that is far worse than loosing sales to a digital rebel sold by some 'know it all' at best buy.
06-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #9
wll
Veteran Member

Also, for a spokesman, beauty is good, but this camera deserves a smart macho man, like Arnold Schwarzenegger... Kick arse, Pentax.
Arnold is a A*% I live in Kalifornia and he could have done some good ... But, I won't talk politics here ... I'll start throwing things :-)

wll
06-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #10
Banned

No. I think, what Pentax needs to sell the K-7 is a smart, distinguished, but simple and down to earth person. or much simpler, a very likable, easy to relate to very outdoorsy person. arnold would=negative sales.
06-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

TV spots would cost at least 30 million (multiple times) and Pentax itself basically can count on about 30 million dollars in profit on a year to year basis, they hardly have the kind of money to do anything major. The Hoya Group makes about 200 million in profit on a year to year basis. While Hoya has the money to sink into Pentax clearly, the question is really how much do you want to put into it all. Mostly when I see ads for camera's its typically for point and shoots, not major semi pro DSLR's. You can either spend money on a marketing or put more money into RnD and hope that the RnD sells the cameras itself via word of mouth.

I see Pentax as having to main market focus groups. The first being new dSLR buyers and unintrenched NiCanon users (people with a body and a kit lens but willing to switch) along with existing pentaxians.
06-05-2009, 07:45 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
No. I think, what Pentax needs to sell the K-7 is a smart, distinguished, but simple and down to earth person. or much simpler, a very likable, easy to relate to very outdoorsy person.
They need:

The Most Interesting Man In The World
www.staythirstymyfriends.com

This guy is awesome. He'd sell K-7's like nobody's business.

-Paul
06-05-2009, 07:45 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
TV spots would cost at least 30 million (multiple times) and Pentax itself basically can count on about 30 million dollars in profit on a year to year basis, they hardly have the kind of money to do anything major. The Hoya Group makes about 200 million in profit on a year to year basis. While Hoya has the money to sink into Pentax clearly, the question is really how much do you want to put into it all. Mostly when I see ads for camera's its typically for point and shoots, not major semi pro DSLR's. You can either spend money on a marketing or put more money into RnD and hope that the RnD sells the cameras itself via word of mouth.

I see Pentax as having to main market focus groups. The first being new dSLR buyers and unintrenched NiCanon users (people with a body and a kit lens but willing to switch) along with existing pentaxians.

agreed. maybe they should focus more on getting their ad in print. more ads in photography magazines, and ads in other magazines. national geographic, other outdoor magazines. upscale fashion magazines? they may not be able to afford TV advertising, but that shouldn't mean they do no advertising. which is essentially what they have been doing in recent years. I mean come on, its a big deal here one someone spots a pentax ad in a magazine or a billboard. that's not good.
06-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Minawee Quote
They need:

The Most Interesting Man In The World
Dos Equis

This guy is awesome. He'd sell K-7's like nobody's business.

-Paul

with the high percentage of older users, who most certainly have an impact on younger newer buyers ( I know the people here had one on me) as well as the very clear link with the Pentax of old still alive in the Pentax of today. I think they should use advertising similar to what Canadian Club uses. I know it appeals to me, makes me want to drink whiskey! the coolest advertisements being run right now IMO. "damn right your dad used one." how cool is that?

http://www.canadianclubwhisky.com/downloads/YourMom.pdf
06-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Totally agree, wait till its really available for sale: everywhere

Wanna-be pentaxians would run to my local shops and find no one stocks pentax & indeed, will get talked into buying into Canon or Nikon which everyone does stock, and has onhand to touch and feel.

I want to see Pentax TV ads ,like when its actually available for sale on the internets, where they show people using K-7 in a downpour. Add the tag line:

If it dies Pentax, we will fix your K-7 weatherproof camera & weather sealed lens for free*

* $19.95 handling fee.

Last edited by Samsungian; 06-05-2009 at 10:58 AM.