Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Any News on Battery for K-7 ??

Looking at pictures of the new K-7 battery and Nikon"s EN-EL3e, if they are the same size I would think they would work in a Pentax. The end has three contact points and it looks similar.

The cut outs on top are different but that does not matter as the battery rest in a cradle. If they are a different size than they won't work ... but if they are ... then we all have endless supply of that battery :-)

Has anyone compared them or even tried a EN-EL3e in a BG-4.

wll

Last edited by wll; 06-07-2009 at 05:50 AM.
06-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote

wll
How many Pentax users do you think have handled a BG-4, never mind Nikon users who have thought of trying their battery in a BG-4. There are some really daft questions on this forum sometimes
06-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mike,

Thank you for your kind words and insight !

wll
06-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
How many Pentax users do you think have handled a BG-4, never mind Nikon users who have thought of trying their battery in a BG-4. There are some really daft questions on this forum sometimes
I completely agree.

Let's just wait and see!

06-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Mike,

Thank you for your kind words and insight !

wll
Sorry wll but the camera isn't even released yet never mind the grip.
When they are I am sure someone will be able to let you know.

We have threads moaning about image quality when the camera is still on beta firmware, we have people moaning about the wording of reviews when they are only previews .. it just gets worse.
06-06-2009, 11:59 PM   #6

Looking at pictures of the new K-7 battery and Nikon"s EN-EL3e, if they are the same size I would think they would work in a Pentax. The end has three contact points and it looks similar.

The cut outs on top are different but that does not matter as the battery rest in a cradle. If they are a different size than they won't work ... but if they are ... then we all have endless supply of that battery :-)

wll
HI Wil,

Well, considering they -- EN-EL3e and D-L190(?) -- are going to be the same
price .... why would you want to put a Nikon battery in the BG-4 ??

Cheers,

Jack
06-07-2009, 12:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jack_Simpson Quote
HI Wil,

Well, considering they -- EN-EL3e and D-L190(?) -- are going to be the same
price .... why would you want to put a Nikon battery in the BG-4 ??
Because:

Impact | ENEL3E Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery f/ | ENEL3E
06-07-2009, 05:35 AM   #8
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
mattdm:

That is EXACTLY WHY !!!!!

This is the size needed:

2.1 x 1.5 x 0.8" (5.3 x 3.8 x 2.0 cm) If these are the same as the new Pentax battery ... very cool. You may need to use a Nikon or third party charger because the batter catches look different, but that doesn't matter.

There are ENEL3E rechargeable batteries at every battery store on the net, some very, very highly rated. They are cheap and allow me carry extras without paying large $ for a specialized unit that is used in one camera that I doubt many third party battery manufactures will produce.

Thanks mattm for your reply.

wll

Last edited by wll; 06-07-2009 at 05:51 AM.
06-07-2009, 05:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

mattdm:

That is EXACTLY WHY !!!!!

There are ENEL3E rechargeable batterys at every battery store on the net, some very, very highly rated. They are cheap and allow me carry extras without paying large $ for a specialized unit that is used in one camera that I doubt many third party battery manufactures will produce.

Thanks mattm for your reply.

wll
Adorama also makes alternatives for the K10/K20 battery. So I'm sure that it is gonna be possible in time to get third party replacement for the K7 battery as well.

ACD229 Adorama Replacement Rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery for Pentax DLI50 and Minolta NP-400 Digital Camera Battery, 7.4 Volts, 1500mAh.

The Minolta NP-400 that some have been using for K10/K20, seem to be out of production
06-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #10

Don't think these are the same as the D-L190 is 7.2 volts, and the others 7.4. Pretty sure it won't be long until third party batteries come along though!
06-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unlocker Quote
Don't think these are the same as the D-L190 is 7.2 volts, and the others 7.4. Pretty sure it won't be long until third party batteries come along though!
That's less than a 3% difference probably within spec.
06-08-2009, 02:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Here are a couple of photos of the new battery compared to the K20D one:

They are pretty much the same size, but the new battery has higher capacity.

The new charger is quite a bit smaller than the old one, a good thing for travelers I guess:

06-08-2009, 03:50 AM   #13
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ENEL3E & L-190 look the same ?

Frank,

The L-190 battery on the right looks exactly like the Nikon ENEL3E. Both have the same indents, three contact points, etc.

Hope this is the case. The 7.4 volts concerns me though .. would that cause problems ?

wll
06-08-2009, 07:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Frank,

The L-190 battery on the right looks exactly like the Nikon ENEL3E. Both have the same indents, three contact points, etc.

Hope this is the case. The 7.4 volts concerns me though .. would that cause problems ?

wll

I don't know. I myself definitely wouldn't risk using a third party one unless it's verified by others
06-08-2009, 07:36 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's no way you'd see me waste another cent on Impact brand batteries. I bought 3 for the K10D and used them regularly. Even though they were rated at a higher Mah than the Pentax, they never lasted as long on a charge. All three got regular use (not sitting around) and died within 12 months. My original (3 year old) K10D battery is still working and I now have 6 of them. No issues with OEM batteries.

As for trying 3rd party batteries that are not exactly to spec. You won't find me trying to save $5.00 and potentially damaging a $1299 camera.