Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
P.S
I hate this post by Ned

bad bad post and as a head of the US branch to tell me (his client) that if I want speed and quality maybe I should get a different brand I think its rude

But I had a pentax before Ned and I bet I will have FF frame pentax after Ned
To be fair, that's not what Ned said. That's what you read into what Ned said. I don't like things sugar coated so I appreciate Ned's candor, but I can understand why others don't.

06-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #32
Igilligan

Please... no comparison

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
But the K-7 is mid class, in Pentax terms.
Above it is the 24x36, and we know that the K-7 is not a 24x36 or medium format digital. We also know that the K-7 is not a popular class/entry level camera.
So it sits in the middle.

But middle class is actually top class, for APS-C.
It is D300/50D with some extra twists and turns and fun. I like the K-7.
Rolly... When I see some clean ISO 3200 images and proof that there is some kind of tracking/predictive AF, then and only then should you be mentioning it in the same breath as the now 'old' D300.

The ISO 3200 shots I saw on the web from the K7 are noisy and weak by comparison. Honestly they did not look any better than my K20 ISO 3200 shots. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by Igilligan; 06-10-2009 at 04:17 PM.
06-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
To be fair, that's not what Ned said. That's what you read into what Ned said. I don't like things sugar coated so I appreciate Ned's candor, but I can understand why others don't.
ned needs people to buy new DA lenses and the K-7 so he cant talk about FF at the moment but everybody knows that APS-C going to change

comparing pentax to a slower car or what ever.. frankly not what I want to hear form the head of my camera brand (or my car brand)..

the guy at B&H told me the same thing when i bought my K20D .

I like pentax glass more then other brands that's why I have a pentax but pentax not above the law they will need to invest in new technology like every one else if they want to keep selling cameras and not just glass
06-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-7 is the best, most full featured camera in it's class... what is there to compare? Well why must it fall into a particular camera segment? The people at Pentax are not foolish enough to know their camera is not intended to compete with the flagship FF cameras of their competitors. They have simply made a stellar full feature product in a small form factor that simply undercuts a lot of what the other companies are doing.

06-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #35
wll
Veteran Member

yep I just >>>>>>

Read someone the riot act on dpreview. Some folks don't get it !

wll
06-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #36
Veteran Member

K-7 the best?

maybe not...
Camera Labs :: View topic - 60D (to be known as the 7D) Rumours
06-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #37
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/629307-post1.html

is it not a war against K-7?

Last edited by ogl; 06-10-2009 at 10:37 PM.
06-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #38
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
50D is 9 months old, I'm not sure that 60D is real now.

06-10-2009, 10:31 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
The K-7 will still be comparable to Canon's expected 60D or 7D. A product does not have to be "the best" in a segment to be a success. It needs to have the right features, demend from the right market, and be at the right price. The K-7 will be able to compeat on features and price. It's up to Pentax to build market demand. From what I've seen so far, they are on the rigth track.

As for some of these camera previews that compare the K-7 to lower models, this will stop when these review sites clue in to where this new Pentax is positioned in the market.

But on the positive side, people searching for info on the D5000 and the T1i will run into articles comparing the K-7 to the camera they had in mind. It just might get them to look into Pentax if they had not previously considered the brand.
06-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #40
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
The K-7 will still be comparable to Canon's expected

But on the positive side, people searching for info on the D5000 and the T1i will run into articles comparing the K-7 to the camera they had in mind. It just might get them to look into Pentax if they had not previously considered the brand.
Hmm...K-7 is more expensive than D5000/500D/D90...
06-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Nope... Sorry but I don't see your beef with that article.
06-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Read someone the riot act on dpreview. Some folks don't get it !

wll
I've never read anyone the riot act where they didn't immediately turn around and start acting like they were in one. If they truly don't get it, the riot act probably won't help... I know it's frustrating when people won't listen to reason, but a lot of times I figure out later that it was because I wasn't really offering any. If you want to change their perception, listen, acknowledge their valid points (believe it or not, they probably have some) then calmly make your case.
06-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Why are we all acting as if everybody else should immediately love the K-7? We think it's top of the bill, right? We seem to be quite satisfied Pentax has listened to its customers to a large extent and has implemented a lot of features that we wanted, right?

I am perfectly OK with somebody saying a Canon 9900D or a Fuji E1200 is far superior to the K-7. Why bother or worry about it. Price vs quality will do its thing and suck in more users if the thing is even half what it's supposed to be.

I used to be happy with the K100D-S, now elated with the K20D and happy for everyone who is getting a K-7!
06-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Hmm...K-7 is more expensive than D5000/500D/D90...
Yes it is more expensive, but it is less than the D300.

Guy wants a D300. Too expensive, so he looks at the D90 & D5000. Finds a comparison to the K-7. Looks into the K-7 and Pentax, he finds a camera with similar specs to the D300, but at less cost.

So if Pentax was not mentioned in that article, he would still be looking and the D90, and never see the K-7.
06-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Yes it is more expensive, but it is less than the D300.

Guy wants a D300. Too expensive, so he looks at the D90 & D5000. Finds a comparison to the K-7. Looks into the K-7 and Pentax, he finds a camera with similar specs to the D300, but at less cost.

So if Pentax was not mentioned in that article, he would still be looking and the D90, and never see the K-7.
I think a lot of us were hoping that the K-7 would attract the attention of the photographers who have the business and capitol to invest in several D300s (probably in part because we would like to be that guy, or at least appear to be that guy ). The reasons why it probably won't make much headway into that group go way beyond the specs of a single body. In reality, as you astutely observed, the Nikon and Canon photographers that will probably be lured into the K-7 body are the ones who will be shopping for the D90 and D5000, even though the K-7 really is a lot more camera than either.

Pentax want's their brand to read "be interesting, like the edgy, funky hip new shooters in all the magazines" but in reality I think their brand reads "get a lot more for your advanced amateur dollar."

If there is a problem for some of us with the brand, and the comparisons to lower end bodies, it's simply that nobody likes to be viewed as an amateur, especially once they are a bit "advanced." Clients probably don't notice our gear as much as our portfolio and business presence. It's just that creatives tend to have enough insecurities without the weight of another restrictive label attached to our gear.