Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax wins it's first award

The K-7 shares it's first big award. Some may not like the comparison to the camera sharing the platform but isn't it nice to see Pentax in the spotlight again?

06-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice to hear but I think it's a little premature to have them both ranked Advanced D-SLR of the year with the D90 winning out in low light. The D90 has been around for a while and the K-7 hasn't even been released for mainstream sale yet. That said, they offer similar features with video leveling the playing field; if it wasn't for that I'd say the K-7 would probably have it beat due to size, weather sealing, light weight, faster fps, higher MP, etc.... the D90 on the other hand is the more affordable of the two due to being on the market for almost a year.
06-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
Nice to hear but I think it's a little premature to have them both ranked Advanced D-SLR of the year with the D90 winning out in low light. The D90 has been around for a while and the K-7 hasn't even been released for mainstream sale yet. That said, they offer similar features with video leveling the playing field; if it wasn't for that I'd say the K-7 would probably have it beat due to size, weather sealing, light weight, faster fps, higher MP, etc.... the D90 on the other hand is the more affordable of the two due to being on the market for almost a year.
do you perhaps want to go read the article again maybe?? go read why they voted for the pentax...

but yeah agree - its very premature that they voting for 2009 models not even half way thru the year.
06-10-2009, 05:29 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
So, the cover shows this award winning camera? NOT!

Maybe they just couldn't justify showing this award winning upstart among their major advertisers.

06-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #5

I saw this today. It does seem weird to be giving out awards for '09 before summer has even started, but it's still a good look for the K-7.

For those that haven't seen the article, they broke the DSLR awards down to four categories: Pro (winner D3X), Semi-Pro (5d Mark II), Advanced (K-7 tied with D90), and Entry-level (GH1).
06-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
So, the cover shows this award winning camera? NOT!

Maybe they just couldn't justify showing this award winning upstart among their major advertisers.
FWIW - The K-7 did make the cover of PopPhoto (all by itself) with the tagline "Pentax Fights Back!" with a full-page writeup inside - and I didn't see a single disparaging comment. So who knows, maybe they'll give the big "P" a fair review when it hits the street.
06-12-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MidwestMax Quote

For those that haven't seen the article, they broke the DSLR awards down to four categories: Pro (winner D3X), Semi-Pro (5d Mark II), Advanced (K-7 tied with D90), and Entry-level (GH1).
Can I ask what the cameras were in the Semi-pro and Advanced categories?

Thanks.
06-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #8

In the Semi-pro category it was all full frame cameras: 5d Mark II, D700, and Alpha 900.

For Advanced, it's the K-7, D90, 50D, and E-30.

I suppose in 2009, some people see that a camera has to be full frame to even be considered semi-pro. I don't agree, but that's what American Photos (and others) say.

06-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Winning awards even before being released...
Start of big things to come for Pentax...