Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2009, 07:16 AM   #31
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I will be in Tokyo from 7/4-11, and then to Shanghai until the 18th. I wonder where I ought to buy my K-7. Should I wait 'til I come home to the states???
From my experience cameras and photo equipment are not a bit cheaper in Japan than they are in Europe - and hence definitely not cheaper than in the US. Don't know about China but certainly forget about Japan. From my point of view North America is still as cheap as it gets.

06-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I have done a LOT of import export. Generally speaking, most consumer electronics are shipped via air, especially small items like cameras. Container ships are notoriously damp and wet. Damp and wet + electronics = customer service and logistical nightmares. Especially for a high profile product like the K-7, I'd be very surprised to see it shipped by sea.

NaCl(in addition air freight clears customs faster)H2O
never considered the salt water thing...makes sense to not ship such items via boat. It's not like they have special environmentally controlled shipping containers in general use, or do thay? How about the put them in a freezer container at -10c so they stay dry and dehumidified then open the container and watch them all get soggy from condenstion when the weather in LA is 85F at the time they land.

I am seriously banking on the end of June 1st week of July release. I sold all my other gear and NEED my stuff no later than like July 17th...zoikes!!

06-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Electronics Brokers

QuoteOriginally posted by amaurosis Quote
From my experience cameras and photo equipment are not a bit cheaper in Japan than they are in Europe.
That's not always true. Japan has a very inefficient retail sector without large chains and big box stores. At least that was the case last time I was there ten+ years ago. Undoubtedly, they get the coolest stuff. To check for Japanese pricing, including shipping to anywhere in the world go here: PriceJapan.com. There's alot of electronics brokers around. Caveat emptor baby as always...
06-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by amaurosis Quote
From my experience cameras and photo equipment are not a bit cheaper in Japan than they are in Europe - and hence definitely not cheaper than in the US. Don't know about China but certainly forget about Japan. From my point of view North America is still as cheap as it gets.
This is true.. I lived in Japan for a year and thought it would be a great opportunity to find some deals on camera gear.. I was shooting MF at the time.. but no way. Japan has huge fees on electronics sold in Japan.. I could buy stuff from B&H and have it shipped to me for cheaper than I could find it on the local economy.

06-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #35

Are they there yet?
Are they there yet?
Are they there yet?
Are they there yet?
(kicks back of your seat)
Are they there yet?
Are they there yet?
Are they there yet?
06-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #36

Today...

I really need a confirmation e-mail from Amazon today.
So that I get my camera tomorrow.
So that I can take it on vacation Thursday morning.

Amazon has about 3 hours and 21 minutes to deliver a smile... I'm counting on you Amazon.
06-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #37

"NOT YET SHIPPED - Delivery date unknown"

Attached Images

06-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, I had a preorder in at Adorama, but they wouldn't give me a firm date, and the one date I got was "Ready to ship by July 9th".

Well, I'm leaving the country for a 1 month travel to Japan (and a bit to China) on July 15th, and that was just cutting it too close, so I cancelled.

I did have a Plan B; a reserved unit at a retailer in Tokyo. Well, they contacted me yesterday, and my unit will be ready for pick up on the 26th, after 4PM :-D

Of course, I can't go myself, but I'm asking my brother to pick it up for me (who also happens to have a reserved K-7 he's picking up there; side-note, I/K-7 converted him from a D90 shooter to a Pentaxian :-), and because it's so early (how can I wait 3 weeks before I get my hands on it???), I'm gonna have him express mail it to me :-) I should have the unit in my hands by the middle of next week!
06-23-2009, 09:55 PM   #39

Sadly, I leave for Europe on the 1st, I doubt I'll get to enjoy a new Pentax on vacation.

<sigh>
06-24-2009, 02:35 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Got words from our local Pentax agent, K-7 will be shipped out this weekend, reaching here in Singapore early next week
06-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #41
Forum Member

Is it possible to order from the US in Japan?!

I'm afraid I'll be gone before it ships here
06-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #42
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Well, I had a preorder in at Adorama, but they wouldn't give me a firm date, and the one date I got was "Ready to ship by July 9th".

Well, I'm leaving the country for a 1 month travel to Japan (and a bit to China) on July 15th, and that was just cutting it too close, so I cancelled.

I did have a Plan B; a reserved unit at a retailer in Tokyo. Well, they contacted me yesterday, and my unit will be ready for pick up on the 26th, after 4PM :-D

Of course, I can't go myself, but I'm asking my brother to pick it up for me (who also happens to have a reserved K-7 he's picking up there; side-note, I/K-7 converted him from a D90 shooter to a Pentaxian :-), and because it's so early (how can I wait 3 weeks before I get my hands on it???), I'm gonna have him express mail it to me :-) I should have the unit in my hands by the middle of next week!
I too pre-ordered at Adorama and worse I'm leaving July 14th, basically if it's not ready to ship Friday 10th (I picked one day air shipping) I'm in no luck.

Is there a way your brother could buy one for me as well? I mean really?!
I could use paypal and pay whatever fees to you directly.

Seriously!

I tried browsing http://www.cameramap.com but no real luck since I don't speak japanese and googletranslate is not very efficient with navigation.

Last edited by LosAnJulien; 06-24-2009 at 09:02 PM.
06-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote

If you come by Singapore after July 3rd, I'm sure you can get one here, at a slightly better price than the current pre-order price in the US
06-25-2009, 01:52 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Went to a local shop in Brussels yesterday, they told me no further news which means begin of July.
Phoned my usual reseller who said end of July.

My reseller has my phone number anyway and will call me as soon as he gets the first K-7.

We'll see...
06-25-2009, 05:54 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Went to a local shop in Brussels yesterday, they told me no further news which means begin of July.
Phoned my usual reseller who said end of July.

My reseller has my phone number anyway and will call me as soon as he gets the first K-7.

We'll see...
Hmm, too late for my birthday but in time for lawnmowerraces nearby (august 8th).