Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
I find Canada Post one of the worst mailing systems I've had to deal with ever. I'm sure Canada and the US will get it at the same time with a difference being in a day or so.
unless it is a priority merchandise, it could go out quickly. I ordered items from Japan and it arrived in Canada within a day. sadly because it is not a priority or didn't paid extra, it stayed in the customs for 4 more days. the 7-10 days waiting period is standard but can be quicker if you paid extra.

06-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LosAnJulien Quote
Henrys seems to offer only Xpresspost or PriorityPost which feels rather shady, I'd have to inquire with them.
I believe they could make some exceptions by request. have it sent out via DHL or FEDEX if you cant wait that long.
06-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #78
Inactive Account

Worst Mailing Systems?

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
I find Canada Post one of the worst mailing systems I've had to deal with ever. I'm sure Canada and the US will get it at the same time with a difference being in a day or so.
I use XPresspost all the time and it's great. Get an account with them, fill in the on-line forms, print out the mailing label and drop it in the local post office box, follow it with a tracking number. What's not to like?
06-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #79

Pentax Canada is shipping on Monday.

With my cynical mind, it's probably to give the Canadian dealers (me) a chance to sell some cameras before the rush to buy online from the US.
If no-one buys in Canada, what's the point of having a Pentax Canada

Some Canadian dealers may have to wait for a second shipment to arrive in the country, as Pentax Canada probably is allocated a smaller shipment compared to US.

David Lee

06-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #80
Inactive Account

Delivery Dates

I doubt it honestly, every single US stores seem to list it available no earlier than mid-july.
What's easier for Pentax to fill? Alot of small orders to smaller countries, or a huge order to the US? If they shipped to the US first, many people would bypass their local resellers. Who at Hoya needs 50 countrie's distributor's complaining about lost sales to big American stores? If they ship to the US last, they only have Ned to yell at them, and he's outnumbered. Smart move. Good for us hosers, eh?
06-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
What's easier for Pentax to fill? Alot of small orders to smaller countries, or a huge order to the US? If they shipped to the US first, many people would bypass their local resellers. Who at Hoya needs 50 countrie's distributor's complaining about lost sales to big American stores? If they ship to the US last, they only have Ned to yell at them, and he's outnumbered. Smart move. Good for us hosers, eh?
Why do Americans always think that they are most important in the world?

Do you have sales figures of Pentax DSLR by country, to prove that USA is the most profitable (i.e. most important) market for them?
06-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #82
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
Why even bother shipping in order? They could ship 200 in Canada and 1000 in the US at the same time, where's the problem? I also doubt that if you're used to local shops you are to venture online, especially for a 2 weeks only waiting period.

The number of people crossing the online borders is minimal, if the US had the 1st shipment over Canada or Japan by 2 weeks, only a handful of people would buy outside their market so the side effect is close to none. We are very few to actually inquire outside of the US, and the reason is going on a trip I assume.

The only reason I do that is because I'm out of the US for 2 weeks July 14th, that's it. I've settled my mind for a Pentax some times ago, I'd just cringe not to be able to get a K7 because of a few days.

Pentax ships to Toronto on Monday, but the east cost in the US, probably an hour drive, 2 weeks later? gimme a break...nice marketing strategy. And by the way I almost settled for another brand because of it, but the K20D is what I'll get if I have no choice.

Also I thought about getting it in Europe where I'm going but the currency is insane: 1,299.00 EUR = 1,819.33 USD.
06-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #83
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Why do Americans always think that they are most important in the world?

Do you have sales figures of Pentax DSLR by country, to prove that USA is the most profitable (i.e. most important) market for them?
The US is the biggest market for almost any "big" companies. From cars to electronics they are miles ahead, not an opinion a fact.

That might change in the future

06-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #84
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The US is the biggest market for almost any "big" companies. From cars to electronics they are miles ahead, not an opinion a fact.

I hope this doesn't become a series of bashing comments against the USA.

I've been in the wholesale sales business for over 20 years and the US market is (or at least has been) the biggest globally but also the lowest margin. Companies make more selling almost anywhere else and unless the volume is there, the US market is not nearly as profitable. Since the economy in America is in the worst shape, maybe they have decided to hit several other countries a little earlier. We'll know for sure in a few days.
06-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Well that's some BS. If that's really the case I'll be quite disappointed knowing that just a 5 hour drive north I could get a camera I'll have to wait several weeks for here. Except I probably couldn't get it if I drove to canada because I bet most places are already sold out due to pre-orders alone.

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
"As reported previously, we expect to start shipping units to dealers in the U.S. by the middle of July."

~ Ned Bunnell, in response to a comment on his blog. (NED BUNNELL)
06-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I hope this doesn't become a series of bashing comments against the USA.
Agreed Peter. Most of us come here to talk about Pentax photography. There are plenty of other forums to go to if people want to vent their feelings about global politics.
06-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
Well that's some BS. If that's really the case I'll be quite disappointed knowing that just a 5 hour drive north I could get a camera I'll have to wait several weeks for here. Except I probably couldn't get it if I drove to canada because I bet most places are already sold out due to pre-orders alone.
Alot of stores Mcbains for one says they have a planned order of about 15-20 to come in and only 5 people have pre-ordered. I think to safe to say every store is sold out already is jumping the gun.

Last edited by Dr_who; 06-28-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: fixing typos
06-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Apparently still approx 2 weeks for Australia. Importer says they will get them this week and the store will have them next week.... and the 1st shipment is 'sold out' already.

mike
06-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #89
Pentaxian

European Union is larger market for DSLRs than USA. That's a fact.

And consider the fact that in Europe Pentax is well represented in photo equipment shops, department stores, etc. At the same time I constantly read that people in USA are complaining that they can't find any shops which carry Pentax equipment. How do you think, where they sell more equipment and which market is more important to them?
06-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #90
Inactive Account

The Future is Now

Last week, the demand for petroleum from the 'developing' world exceeded demand from the 'first' world. That had never happened before. The 'developing' world is growing. The 'first' world is stagnating. This has been apparent for some time, but has been distorted by currency manipulation. The current economic 'issues' are just the reality that 'the jig is now up'. The days when the US produced 30% of world GNP is over. Globalisation is leveling prices and standards of living everywhere.

The US is still immensely powerful economically. But, the demographic bubble is going to hit hard, and soon. Last weeks Economist had a good article on this fact.