Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 02:22 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Time to make your voice heard

I am seeing a lot of top level awards for the K-7 and then we see this. And I think it is important not to chill, but to act for the sake of fairness.

Why not spend a moment every time you see an article like this and add a comment to their website? It would achieve more than just venting here. It might even make them think twice.

In a few moments I will write a thought or two at Digital Camera Essentials | PhotographyBLOG

Editors and authors need to know it will now be harder to publish their unconscious or even conscious anti-Pentax bias if they have any. Even though it's the web, we should expect reasonable understanding of facts and as little bias as is humanly possible. We should also expect writers to be accountable. It is not unreasonable to demand this.

(I am a professional writer and strive to present information as an 'honest broker'.)

Last edited by Stefan Carey; 06-11-2009 at 03:09 AM.
06-11-2009, 02:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Who the hell recommends a polariser as a "leave-on" filter?

Maybe a sleazy photo store sales rep (cheap polariser's probably twice as expensive as a good UV/Skylight) but why would you permanently cripple the lens by about 1/2 stop by leaving it on all the time? And increase the chance of breakage?
My tests indicate that my el-cheapo Hoya polarizer slices off about 2 stops. Good for a light ND filter substitute, then.
06-11-2009, 03:08 AM   #18

Did you notice how hefty the projected price is in England?........WOW !!!!
06-11-2009, 03:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
I am seeing a lot of top level awards for the K-7 and then we see this. And I think it is important not to chill, but to act for the sake of fairness.
A lot of top level awards for a camera that is not yet out?... Where?

Just don't pay attention to those "previews", especially from this kind of magazines but it's not necessary to go in the opposite direction and give the laurels to the K-7 when there are so many unknowns to be clarified... (final IQ anyone?)

06-11-2009, 03:36 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Is this from Digital Photographer? Can't find it on the web...
06-11-2009, 03:55 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Daveinozbikes Quote
Did you notice how hefty the projected price is in England?........WOW !!!!
Yes - it's about 2-2.5 times the current UK cost for a K20 body! However, when viewed in terms of the price hikes for lenses that are working through the system over here it starts to make sense. Time to order that 35mm Ltd I think, and probably a K20 to give me the two bodies I've wanted for a while. I would LOVE a K7, but I really can't justify the cost and want the second body by September...
06-11-2009, 05:26 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Talisker Quote
Yes - it's about 2-2.5 times the current UK cost for a K20 body! However, when viewed in terms of the price hikes for lenses that are working through the system over here it starts to make sense.
If you want a second body I would think fast as the price rise will also effect the K20D which will apparently rise to around 650.

Hmm, just worked out that a new K-7 in the USA will work out at about the same price as a new K20D in the UK.
06-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
If you want a second body I would think fast as the price rise will also effect the K20D which will apparently rise to around 650.

Hmm, just worked out that a new K-7 in the USA will work out at about the same price as a new K20D in the UK.
The cheapest you can get the K20D in Ireland = 1199
I'll be checking out German prices I think. Customs seem to be clamping down on imported stuff a lot in the last few months.

06-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #24
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
The cheapest you can get the K20D in Ireland = 1199
I'll be checking out German prices I think. Customs seem to be clamping down on imported stuff a lot in the last few months.
Too bad because I am going to visit Dublin for a medical conference in about 2 weeks and If K-7 is already available here I would have brought one for you!
06-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Too bad because I am going to visit Dublin for a medical conference in about 2 weeks and If K-7 is already available here I would have brought one for you!
Don't tempt me. I am just starting out with lba nevermind cba
06-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Is this a real news magazine ?

Or is it just one of those rags that makes its money from thin editorial work, flashy covers for the newsstand, and 90% ad space?
06-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #27
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Don't tempt me. I am just starting out with lba nevermind cba
I wonder if my pictures would become more eloquent if I kissed the Blarney stone. Wait. I already had. Didn't work. I guess I need K-7
06-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I hate how they said Pentax is always half a step behind, it's not true, the K-7 is insanely well spec-ed. Plus they haven't even tried the camera and they are putting it down which will put off loads of reader, especially people who are new to digital photography.
06-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Why not spend a moment every time you see an article like this and add a comment to their website? It would achieve more than just venting here. It might even make them think twice.

In a few moments I will write a thought or two at Digital Camera Essentials | PhotographyBLOG

Editors and authors need to know it will now be harder to publish their unconscious or even conscious anti-Pentax bias if they have any. Even though it's the web, we should expect reasonable understanding of facts and as little bias as is humanly possible. We should also expect writers to be accountable. It is not unreasonable to demand this.

(I am a professional writer and strive to present information as an 'honest broker'.)

I left a reply. Everyone should.
06-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #30
Forum Member

Stefan,

I am not aware of the awards in relation to the K7, but I think you are right in saying that we should not let this sort of thing go. The writer did everything he could to ignore or belittle the K7's specs by:

a) Claiming it was little different to a K20D.
b) Dismissing features wherever he could as "now standard". Rather than comment on the K7's 30 FPS video he decided to ignore it and suck his thumb over the fact that it wasn't true HD.
c) Ignoring many features the K7 has that cameras like the D50 do not.
d) Presenting a 1 FPS speed deficiency (in relation to the D50) as a killer strike against the K7 which appears to put it "half a step behind" the opposition.

It is always difficult to assess if work like this is due to a hidden agenda, or because the writer is a genuine cretin; I'm inclined to think it is a bit of both. In any event, I think you are right to say that they should not be allowed to do this without a challenge. I have added some comments to their site, though I was marginally less of a gentleman than you were I'm afraid.

Well done.