Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #31
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know we're all Pentax lovers here, but let's face it, we've always been a "1/2 step" behind in specs compared to Nikon and Canon. While the 50d does not have HD video (I'm a firm believer that video and still photo devices should be separate anyway) it was a higher FPS and Megapixel and it came out in 2008. We're a model year later and we're still behind in those areas and possibly others (I haven't compared all the specs.)

I've said this before in the forums, I got my K20d brand new for $800 less than what a K-7 will retail at, so there isn't any way shape or form I could ever justify paying that much more just for the few things it has over the K20. If it were a full frame sensor, that would have been a much different story. And in that category, we're more than just a 1/2 step behind.

06-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Or is it just one of those rags that makes its money from thin editorial work, flashy covers for the newsstand, and 90% ad space?
Yep you've got it.

They also have a CD on the front with hints and tips for photoshop, which they recycle every 12 months.
06-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote

They also have a CD on the front with hints and tips for photoshop, which they recycle every 12 months.
I WAS CONNED ... no cd of photoshop hints and tips on my copy
06-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I WAS CONNED ... no cd of photoshop hints and tips on my copy
Which one do you want a copy of? just name the month.......

06-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I reckon the only real review to be interested in UK wise will be next weeks Amateur Photographer. Will be interesting to see what they say.
06-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I know we're all Pentax lovers here, but let's face it, we've always been a "1/2 step" behind in specs compared to Nikon and Canon. While the 50d does not have HD video (I'm a firm believer that video and still photo devices should be separate anyway) it was a higher FPS and Megapixel and it came out in 2008. We're a model year later and we're still behind in those areas and possibly others (I haven't compared all the specs.)
Fsir point, but on the flips side, Canon doesn't have SR built in to the body, neither does it have the weather sealing...and Pentax has had it built into its bodies for a few years now, except the k-m.
I'd take that over higher fps and more megapixels.

It's not just about playing catch up, it's about what you get for you for your cash.
If it's about playing catch up, it's gonna cost the consumer a lot to keep upgrading every year.
06-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote

I've said this before in the forums, I got my K20d brand new for $800 less than what a K-7 will retail at, so there isn't any way shape or form I could ever justify paying that much more just for the few things it has over the K20. If it were a full frame sensor, that would have been a much different story. And in that category, we're more than just a 1/2 step behind.
If I recall, the K20D was the highest megapixel camera when it was released. Canon had to play catchup.

I think its unfair to say any manufacturer is behind, when they generally all win in one area or another.

Except maybe the tiny ones like Sigma....

06-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
basically some photography magazines are now more in the advertising rather than helping with people.
06-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #39

The question was asked : A lot of top level awards for a camera that is not yet out?... Where?

Well here's one award. (Perhaps I exaggerated. So much for my lack of bias!)

"We just received a pre-newsstand copy of the July/August issue of American Photo. This is the issue that contains their “Editor’s Choice Awards for 2009”. We were excited (or really "stoked" to use a surfer's term) to see they awarded the Pentax K-7 (and the Nikon D90) their camera of the year for the “Advanced D-SLR” category"

NED BUNNELL: K-7's First Award

cheers
06-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #40
K-9
Veteran Member

Yes, I flipped through that American Photo mag today and if I recall, they did not have one overall winner, and picked like 2-4 "winners" in every price category. Unfortunately, IMO, AP is one of the worst photo magazines on the planet.
06-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I reckon the only real review to be interested in UK wise will be next weeks Amateur Photographer. Will be interesting to see what they say.
Looks like it's also a preview from them next week, but I agree, AP is one of the only photo mags I bother buying. Iit usually has more editorial integrity than the big glossy monthlies.
06-13-2009, 06:54 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
The BIG problem is, Pentax don't advertise in their rags as much as Canon & Nikon. So who are they going to suck up to?
You HIT the proverbial nail on the head!
06-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #43
Veteran Member

"but not a particularly solid reason to buy into Pentax if your a newcomer."

Wow... those are pretty strong words for 'preview'. IMO, it borders on slanderous.

mike
06-17-2009, 02:04 AM   #44
Veteran Member

On the plus side at this photo show the K-7 as a pro kit as it has DA* 16-50 SDM lens and the 540 flash too much better than showing it with just the kit lens say

I think pentax will get there, they have a very nice website which is easy to navigate and understand: www.pentaximaging.com where as say nikons is crap definatley not pleasing to the eye.

I really hope they pull they're fingers out and advertise the K-7 everywhere. Would be nice too if say they put a little bit in the ad with a pentax pro and how the photo was taken photog maybe a bit like the sigma/tamaron adverts
06-18-2009, 02:10 AM   #45
Veteran Member

ehh.. what the f they mean by spec wise..?

which spec wise..?

crazy