Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote

By and large, the Olympus system is perfectly capable of performing at my admittedly modest, hobbyist level of photography, and I do feel that only their sensor (not the size, but the quality) brings them down. I'm sure that if someone else developed the sensor they're using (say, Sony), then Olympus cameras could be closer to D90/300 output than people make them to be now. I have no problem with the lenses, as I have the utmost respect for their zooms, which I feel are among the best, if not *the* best.
I can certainly agree with that. The panasonic sensors which rushed to be the first to provide live view involved some pretty serious IQ compromises: while they were great at base ISO, you couldn't push them very hard. The E-3 sensor was a significant improvement, and the current 12mp batch seems to be even better. Most recently the things I've heard about the GH1 sensor's performance (basically 2nd generation of the 12mp sensor) pegs it as significantly improved from the G1, which was pretty darn good at lower ISOs. Panasonic is improving quite a bit lately, but I'd still like to see something from, say, Fuji... that would be very interesting.

06-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #47
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I can certainly agree with that. The panasonic sensors which rushed to be the first to provide live view involved some pretty serious IQ compromises: while they were great at base ISO, you couldn't push them very hard. The E-3 sensor was a significant improvement, and the current 12mp batch seems to be even better. Most recently the things I've heard about the GH1 sensor's performance (basically 2nd generation of the 12mp sensor) pegs it as significantly improved from the G1, which was pretty darn good at lower ISOs. Panasonic is improving quite a bit lately, but I'd still like to see something from, say, Fuji... that would be very interesting.
oh how I wish pentax would co-develop a fuji sensor..
06-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
why would I spend a couple of hundred bucks for features that I don't really intend to use at all or most times?

if the K-7 has already the features which satisfies the taste and needs of customers for a decent price, what is the sense of paying more money for the sake of buying a camera (with almost identical features) because of it's brand name and features that aren't even practical?

caviar on a plate versus caviar on a plate with a name tag?

I don't want to shoot the other brands for their features, but the Kevlar/carbon fibre body composite is somewhat ridiculous. is extra bucks for extra body armor/protection worth it? KEVLAR? are you serious? like as if you are going to shoot your camera with a pistol or strike it with a knife?

maybe they made it ideal for places like IRAQ, AFGHANISTAN, etc... if that's so, they might as well offered to sell or give for free a KEVLAR body armor for the photographer. it doesn't make any sense if the camera survives but not the photographer. lol

anyway, FWIW, basing from the features that the competition has offered, I dont see them competiting for the same price as the Pentax K-7 as that would be illogical. I'm sure that those added features cost a lot to build and the materials are expensive as well. my estimate for those cameras would be around 2.5K and up.

even if they'll bring it down to 2k, I still wouldn't buy it. the Pentax lenses got me all sold-out.
What camera is expected to have a kevlar/carbon fibre body? I thought it was just the shutter blades of the D400 that had this rumor?
06-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually saw results of the GH1 on cameralabs.com and honestly it performed (to my eyes) IDENTICAL to the D90 in terms of ISO performance from 100 to 3200 (obviously the GH1 doesn't HAVE a 6400). Just proves there is more to ISO performance other than size of the sensor!

06-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
I actually saw results of the GH1 on cameralabs.com and honestly it performed (to my eyes) IDENTICAL to the D90 in terms of ISO performance from 100 to 3200 (obviously the GH1 doesn't HAVE a 6400). Just proves there is more to ISO performance other than size of the sensor!
Funny, some of us seem to have been repeating that and related statements for a long time...

I wouldn't be surprised (or dissapointed) if the D90 bests the GH1 in ultimate possible high ISO image quality, but like I said I've been impressed with what I've seen so far.
06-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #51
Veteran Member

That's certainly promising, I'll go have a look at Imaging Resource for GH1 samples shortly.

Fuji has signed on for the 4/3 consortium but have yet to do anything about it. I suspect they are done making anything DSLR-related in the short term. Pity that we don't get to see their sensor design in DSLRs today, as I'm sure they have a couple of engineering tricks that can trump the DR of current-gen sensors. With most DSLR makers already having a sensor partner (save for Canon and Sony who goes at it themselves), I guess no one's interested in hooking up with Fuji for now.

I'd also be interested in a Foveon sensor being used by a mainstream DSLR maker, since I have doubts that Sigma's using that technology fully on their cameras. I suspect the surrounding electronics doesn't do justice to the Foveon.
06-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
***keep in mind this is based on speculation, the true outcome could be completely different.

am I the only one who finds the k7 very competetive feature wise? Its got a lot of the same stuff but doesn't have distortion correction, in camera HDR, waterproofing(the description of the d400 sounds like the buttons are sealed against moisture but the body isn't made to be in the rain. and has some extra BS.

I was infatuated with the d300 and my choice was between the d300, d90 and k20d, like all the ergonomics, the features, went with pentax cause I had some of my dads old lenses, liked the price and from reading forums, liked some of the people better.

D400 looks to me like its (like most expensive cameras) designed for wealthy people who like to talk about whats in their camera rather than whats coming out of it. For what looks like 2k you get a fantastic body. With the k7 you get a fantastic body with a weather sealed lens for 1299...no brainer to me. I'm sure the d400 has better focus tracking (by color...what if you're shooting an animal thats a similar color as a leaf that floats by or something?) can be shot or stabbed (for those war time photographers), is faster, handles better and allows you to look like a real photographer but really, when is "better", "better enough"?

Just my opinion, keep in mind i'm a current pentax user
06-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
***keep in mind this is based on speculation, the true outcome could be completely different.

am I the only one who finds the k7 very competetive feature wise? Its got a lot of the same stuff but doesn't have distortion correction, in camera HDR, waterproofing(the description of the d400 sounds like the buttons are sealed against moisture but the body isn't made to be in the rain. and has some extra BS.

I was infatuated with the d300 and my choice was between the d300, d90 and k20d, like all the ergonomics, the features, went with pentax cause I had some of my dads old lenses, liked the price and from reading forums, liked some of the people better.

D400 looks to me like its (like most expensive cameras) designed for wealthy people who like to talk about whats in their camera rather than whats coming out of it. For what looks like 2k you get a fantastic body. With the k7 you get a fantastic body with a weather sealed lens for 1299...no brainer to me. I'm sure the d400 has better focus tracking (by color...what if you're shooting an animal thats a similar color as a leaf that floats by or something?) can be shot or stabbed (for those war time photographers), is faster, handles better and allows you to look like a real photographer but really, when is "better", "better enough"?

Just my opinion, keep in mind i'm a current pentax user
The K-7 is definitely competitive features-wise, and it managed to create serious buzz from photography media outlets, though it would have to have some solid marketing behind it so it would move lots of units.

And of course, there's the stereotype from non-industry followers who might be potential buyers later on that only Canon and Nikon make great cameras.

06-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
The K-7 is definitely competitive features-wise, and it managed to create serious buzz from photography media outlets, though it would have to have some solid marketing behind it so it would move lots of units.

And of course, there's the stereotype from non-industry followers who might be potential buyers later on that only Canon and Nikon make great cameras.
I believe that stereotype is slowly changing. I can cite a number of CANIKON diehards who went overboard when they saw the K-7. yeah, I know there's the 50D, D90, and Rebel T1i (sounds like a terminator camera). but there's seems to be something about the K-7 that appeals people. probably the name K-7. honestly speaking, K-7 does sound catchy compared to the other brand's model.
06-17-2009, 06:52 AM   #55
ogl
Pentaxian

Possible Nikon D300s press material on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
no any D400, D300s...
06-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I believe that stereotype is slowly changing. I can cite a number of CANIKON diehards who went overboard when they saw the K-7. yeah, I know there's the 50D, D90, and Rebel T1i (sounds like a terminator camera). but there's seems to be something about the K-7 that appeals people. probably the name K-7. honestly speaking, K-7 does sound catchy compared to the other brand's model.
That's certainly good to hear. A competitive camera industry can only benefit us photographers. Pentax has always made good cameras, though the marketing muscle behind it in recent years has been lacking.
06-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Rumour that the D300s may take SD cards too! Yay. I hope SD cards take over the world!