Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Nubi

Pentax needs more mass media exposure

I swear. Pentax needs more exposures.

I was at Disney Land yesterday all day. Of course, there were literally thousands of people with cameras hanging off their necks. I am surprised that more and more people are buying DSLR. In fact, it looked as though there are more people with DSLR than point and shoot. But, all damn day long, I did not see one person with a Pentax camera until the end of the day when I saw an old lady stumbling out of Space Mountain with K10D around her neck.

Needless to say I kissed her(I didn't).

They were essentially all Canikon. It was disgusting. The fact as we all know it is that Pentax products are just as good as Canikon, if not better in some aspects. But people just don't know about Pentax. I had more than few people asking me what the hell is this "Pentax" thing that I had.

I think that they need to widen the marketing aperture. Especially if they want this K-7 to take off as it should.

Anybody know of any grand marketing plan out there?

06-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #2

I wish the Pentax store would sell Pentax clothing. I'd love to sport a black t-shirt with "Pentax" in red. I'll probably buy the cap so I can wear it at the San Diego Comic Con. I know this isn't mass media, but Pentax needs more exposure of any kind in my opinion.
06-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Nubi, you would have enjoyed our outing at the Civil War Reenactment. There were 3 Pentax shooters. Even the Canon shooters commented on those numbers...

On a more general yet serious note, I teach classes for a predominantly Canon crowd. The few Nikon users feel a bit of kinship it seems. No one has ever said anything negative about my gear choice, except they cannot believe I am shooting with a brand that has a much smaller market share.

I guess the experienced shooters keep thinking I'll switch...

Stay the course, I know it will continue to get better. Really good things cannot stay hidden forever, especially with the internet and the speed of communications today.

Regards,
Marc
06-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I swear. Pentax needs more exposures.
Pentax needs any media exposure. I haven't seen any Pentax ads in the multitude of photo magazines I've skimmed (this year at least).

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." -- Friedrich Nietzsche.

Last edited by asdf; 06-12-2009 at 10:19 PM.
06-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Nubi, you would have enjoyed our outing at the Civil War Reenactment. There were 3 Pentax shooters. Even the Canon shooters commented on those numbers...

On a more general yet serious note, I teach classes for a predominantly Canon crowd. The few Nikon users feel a bit of kinship it seems. No one has ever said anything negative about my gear choice, except they cannot believe I am shooting with a brand that has a much smaller market share.

I guess the experienced shooters keep thinking I'll switch...

Stay the course, I know it will continue to get better. Really good things cannot stay hidden forever, especially with the internet and the speed of communications today.

Regards,
Marc

Hi, Mark

3 shooters? OMG! May be only in California people are pentax-blind.
06-13-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The viral campaign for the K7 definitely got Pentax some media exposure, but they need a sustained effort if they're going to really make a splash.

From the little bits and pieces of Ben's advertising plan that he leaked out a few months back, I for one think he was on the right track (and I do online marketing/advertising full time- photography is just the passion, for now at least!).

Pentax would do themselves a lot of good to listen to a pro like Ben who's not only a world-class photographer, but an obvious proper thinker. It's not expensive to do serious grass roots marketing, especially with the help of the internet and the simplicity of taking things viral these days... shift a couple of magazine advertisement budgets (since print media is taking it on the chin anyway) to Ben, and let him run with something!

Do something different Pentax! You won't beat Canikon by using the same avenues and the same tricks that they do!
06-14-2009, 12:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner0427 Quote
I wish the Pentax store would sell Pentax clothing. I'd love to sport a black t-shirt with "Pentax" in red.
Have one made. That's what I did.
06-14-2009, 01:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Oh well, never mind...

I have done my best to communicate to Pentax France, Ned etc. that I would be available to discuss novel marketing approaches regarding Pentax and their need for greater notoriety, but, for reasons that I cannot discuss here, that won't happen. We (i.e. my other partner) and I put together a comprehensive marketing plan that was presented to Pentax and was not accepted due to the present economic malaise. Presently, I am just another Pentax user that is quite satisfied with what they have on offer. None the less, I will state my opinion one more time; It is not the model, nor the lens line up, nor the specifications that will bring Pentax to their past glory days. It will be how the public perceives their brand. To accomplish that goal, there must be a radical paradigm shift triggered by a radically different message.

Ben

06-14-2009, 04:00 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner0427 Quote
I wish the Pentax store would sell Pentax clothing. I'd love to sport a black t-shirt with "Pentax" in red. I'll probably buy the cap so I can wear it at the San Diego Comic Con. I know this isn't mass media, but Pentax needs more exposure of any kind in my opinion.
1. Buy a black t-shirt
2. Buy a package of inkjet t-shirt transfer paper, the kind that works on dark materials.
3. Print in big red letters "Pentax" onto a transfer sheet.
4. Iron the transfer sheet onto the t-shirt.

Voila, you have a black Pentax t-shirt!
06-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
Banned

Yeah I wish Pentax was like the Big 3 (GM,Ford,Chrysler) and not like BMW. We all know the more sales to clueless consumers the better a company does.
06-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #11

I don't know about shirts, but I would go ape for a Pentax hat!
06-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #12
Nubi

Perhaps all of us just don't get it. I have said it before, but maybe Hoya has ZERO ambition in regards to making Pentax what it used to be. Is it even possible that Pentax has exceeded Hoya's expectation already that Hoya does not want to press their luck? If Ben was turned down because of the condition of the economy, then Hoya must feel that pouring resources into a company like Pentax is not money well spent. But then, why the hell did they buy Pentax to begin with? Perhaps it is like a hobby for Hoya. They may be perfectly content devouring 2% market share and producing merchandises that can potentially make Canikon people nervous and jealous every once in a while. It's probably like Mark Cuban owing the Nuggets, trying to prevent Kobe and Lebron from winning the championship, or something like that.

On the other side of things, if Pentax one day became even more popular than Canikon(yeah right), would all of us be content fully? I wonder if part of having a thing for brand like Pentax is the fact that not everybody have it? "Hey, I am not like the rest of you" kind of sentiment can go a long way in establishing some people's identity as a photographer. Should we all be content as long as Pentax is not out of business and provide us with a few burst of excitement now and then?
06-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Pentax Ads in USA will drive potential customers into camera shops

then camera shop owners will sell what they carry:

Not Pentax

Its that simple, the 1st thing Hoya did to Pentax after the long drawn out take-over or "friendly merger" on April 1st 2008 was terminate the old asahi and pentax sales reps and then Hoya pentax made dealers who want to still deal pentax commit to $50,000 annual orders.

Canon does not do this. Nikon does not do this. Olympus and Sony however already were doing this.

Wonder why local shops stock Canon and Nikon and not Olympus, Sony, and Pentax? Thats why.

If Pentax runs ads, people will go to shops to see and maybe buy whats available. And while visiting there, the old shop owners will share how terrible Olympus and Sony and Pentax is.

Hoya's first mistake was terminating valuable & knowledgeable pentax reps. 2nd mistake was cutting costs and putting high cost burdens to continue with pentax on local shop owners.

Now with K-7 they finially make a dslr they should have offered in 2006, you know 5 frames per second. They used to make a 5 frame per second film camera so it wasn't like sending a man to walk on the moon.

Blame the local sales people and bestbuys for selling what they stock, if you like.

Now when you're savy and not a newbie in any dslr brand you can go online and order it without any hands on.

After paying top dollar twice for new issue dslrs locally I'll never be first to buy anybrand dslr, or buy any new dslr locally again. But I am not a Newbie.

Perhaps all of us just don't get it. I have said it before, but maybe Hoya has ZERO ambition in regards to making Pentax what it used to be. Is it even possible that Pentax has exceeded Hoya's expectation already that Hoya does not want to press their luck? If Ben was turned down because of the condition of the economy, then Hoya must feel that pouring resources into a company like Pentax is not money well spent. But then, why the hell did they buy Pentax to begin with? Perhaps it is like a hobby for Hoya. They may be perfectly content devouring 2% market share and producing merchandises that can potentially make Canikon people nervous and jealous every once in a while. It's probably like Mark Cuban owing the Nuggets, trying to prevent Kobe and Lebron from winning the championship, or something like that.

On the other side of things, if Pentax one day became even more popular than Canikon(yeah right), would all of us be content fully? I wonder if part of having a thing for brand like Pentax is the fact that not everybody have it? "Hey, I am not like the rest of you" kind of sentiment can go a long way in establishing some people's identity as a photographer. Should we all be content as long as Pentax is not out of business and provide us with a few burst of excitement now and then?

Last edited by Samsungian; 06-14-2009 at 09:50 AM.
06-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Pentax is to camera's what Mac is to computers.
06-14-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrEspie Quote
I don't know about shirts, but I would go ape for a Pentax hat!
You mean like this?
PentaxWebstore Black Pentax Baseball Cap