Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
7. A lot of CAD (Computer Aided Design) resources have been utilised during the development.
Gosh, and here I was thinking it would all be hand-drawn!

06-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why hate Rice High?

O_o
Self promotion for his Pentax site doesn't seem bad to me. He doesn't get any money out of it, actually spends the time to post a link and research this stuff for people to see, and then all you guys can do is just criticize him for posting links to his own website. What is there to criticize about? All he does is try to post some useful information that people ACTUALLY WANT TO SEE but then some folks out there put him down. MAYBE if you SPENT SOME TIME doing research and spending time to translate a site for everyone to see, only for people to bit#h at you for putting some time after day's work, I could definitely see why Rice High would leave this forum.
06-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #18
Forum Member

I think the rude behavior toward Rice was twice as negative as anything he had to say about Pentax. I was sometimes surprised that he didn't react more to the attacks. Sure, he was quick to criticize, but at least he wasn't rude. I think maybe the sociopathic egomaniacs out there ought to cut the crap and allow people out there to have an opinion without having to be abused. I'm not talking just about Rice anymore. The feel of the forum is getting less friendly and more hostile. Okay, I'm done. Take your best shot...
06-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #19
AM2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GearHead Quote
I think the rude behavior toward Rice was twice as negative as anything he had to say about Pentax. I was sometimes surprised that he didn't react more to the attacks. Sure, he was quick to criticize, but at least he wasn't rude. I think maybe the sociopathic egomaniacs out there ought to cut the crap and allow people out there to have an opinion without having to be abused. I'm not talking just about Rice anymore. The feel of the forum is getting less friendly and more hostile. Okay, I'm done. Take your best shot...
Yeah, I don't agree with RiceHigh and his non-stop clamoring about a flaw that he "thinks" he finds, but the rudeness and venom that so many carry for him is much worse.

As annoying as RH can be, he has enough dignity to not react in the same way as some do to him.

-AM

06-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #20
Nubi

Alright. One paragraph at a time because I have nothing better do at the moment:

Again not a direct translation, but hitting main points. Warning: It may not add a whole lot.

Paragraph 1
It seems as though the design of the new k-7 is not in line with the progression we have seen from k10d to k-m. But they are stressing that the new k-7 is not a mutation; it is based on the design principal passed from the film camera days.

Paragraph 2
2 main points they pursued from the beginning, again, in terms of the new design.

1)They wanted it smaller
2)They wanted a body for the limited lenses, which they considered to be an "asset."

paragraph 3
*istD was their standard in terms of the size. But with stuff like SR (which they didn't ahve at the time of *istD), large screen, and the new aperture adjustment system that K20 didn't even have, it was obvious that all of that would not fit in the framework of *istD.

Paragraph 4
What they did differently from the very early stage of the utilization of 3D CAD, which both design team and engineering dept co-owned. Placements of each component, before they were developed fully, were discussed in great details between those 2 teams. If the design team came up with measurements and the engineers came up with spec without coordination the final product could look not only awkward but also poor in function.

Paragraph 5
The case in point is the flash. The entire unit was re-designed, in order to prevent it from protruding. The engineer that designed this particular part was NOT a seasoned veteran. They think that a fresh perspective as such was particularly helpful in this case. They tried not to be tied down by what was thought to be the "right way" of doing thing throughout.

Paragraph 6
The use of 3-D CAD made it possible to have the real mock-up models (A1-3) relatively early in the game. They interviewed the "novices" and A-1 was the most popular, and A-3 was the refined eventual design.

paragraph 7
Another theme for K-7 was to have a body that well complements the limited lens, which they think to be the most important component of photography.

Paragraph 8
They consider the "penta" part to be the "face" of the camera. Multi facial aspects of the pentaprism in one way suggested the intricacies of the camera body itself. The flagship model of the film era was LX. Weather resistant in a light, compact body was a main them that was passed onto the design of K-7, as a tribute, so to speak.

Paragaph 9
Although that motif was somewhat evident in mz-5, mz-s, and *istD. But in strictest sense of aesthetics they were not a direct extension of what the Pentax design principal has been. But K-7 is different in this regards. It is meant to reflect what is considered to be the "true" identity of Pentax.

Paragraph 10
When you observe the side profile of the "head" part( I assume they are referring to the penta part), from front to back, the line is relatively straight, as opposed to graduated curvature in multiple steps(I admit, this is a shitty translation) that have been used in recent models. The latter method will make the body a bit smaller, but again the design aesthetics dictated that the wastefulness associated with the latter design be avoided. Another example of a stubborn design principal that they stuck to throughout.

Paragraph 11
In this day and age, the use of 3D CAD is really a industry standard when it comes to designing DSLR. But there are some components where 3D CAD is not well suited. good example was the grip. Originally, computer generated sample felt awkward. So they re-started from the clay model, shaving off here and there, until if felt "right" in their hands. Then they reverted it back to 3D CAD design for the final specs for production.

Paragraph 12
The post production grip for K10D was made this way. One worker within the company jokingly suggested the company can no longer make profit by retrofitting the grips.

Last paragraph
Also, there are things like the dial being slanted in a subtle angle so that the it would go with the alignment of the index finger, rubber ring around the dial, the wing on the left side of the grip was also re-designed. They would really like you to get your hands on it.

Last edited by Nubi; 06-15-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: typo
06-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks for your translation Nubi, much appreciated!
06-15-2009, 10:06 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Lmited and Star Cameras

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
paragraph 7
Another theme for K-7 was to have a body that well complements the limited lens, which they think to be the most important component of photography.
With my pancake 'Limited' lenses, I immediately wanted this camera. Just musing aloud, doesn't it make sense that there may be a 'Star' camera coming in the future?

06-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #23
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by xhanatos Quote
Thanks for your translation Nubi, much appreciated!
Of course! Loved reading the stuff.
06-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Problem with ricehigh is that he dont listen to facts

statement: "this is the fact, here are the proof, here are more proof. Everyone that know anything about this say this is true"

Ricehigh: "no"

Argument: "you cant just say no, its true, fact and proven"

Ricehigh:"LALALALALALALA"

06-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
The K-7 is the result of all the latest R&D efforts of Pentax and Genes.
Sorry what does that mean???
We need a japanese speaker for a better translation...
If you have a look at points 1 and 11 from the OP, they basically want to present a modern day version of an old classic.

On a side note, I was a bit surprised to see that blog linked again, but he has been a member of the community for a long time and has given info on Pentax, even if it was sourced from elsewhere.
On here, he did take things too seriously, and could give it, but couldn't take it.
I read through his blog yesterday and he has some written some bad things about this site and some members.
I won't be visiting there again.
He's got the wrong attitude.
06-16-2009, 01:32 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote

statement: "this is the fact, here are the proof, here are more proof. Everyone that know anything about this say this is true"

You said everything...
06-16-2009, 01:49 AM   #27
and
Veteran Member

Maybe we need a RiceHigh subforum where people can discuss RiceHigh If he posts in a thread or a thread mentions him, then that thread tends to become more about him than about what it was originally intended to discuss
06-16-2009, 02:27 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote

Best thing I've heard all day
06-16-2009, 03:03 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Self promotion for his Pentax site doesn't seem bad to me.
There's nothing wrong with self-promotion. That wasn't the problem. He can self-promote himself on any site that allows him to do so.

Self promotion, though, is prohibited by the forum rules on this site. RH repeatedly violated this rule. He got called on it one more time than he could bear, got mad, and voluntarily left.

End of story.

Except, with RH it seems, we never reach the end of the story.
06-16-2009, 04:15 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I guess if some Pentax big shot posted a link to the Pentax website, he'd be told off too.