Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2009, 04:49 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have no vendetta against Rice High, but I have to say that I feel that the forum moderators were very decent in dealing with him. If his goal was to get information out there, then he wouldn't have any problems complying with the rules of a forum that ask that you not self promote your own blog-website.

On a personal note, when I have received criticism in the past, one of the hardest things to do is to look in the mirror and figure out how it can make me a better person. I think it is up to all of us to do better, I think this is something that Rice High, for whatever reason (personality disorder?) struggles with.

06-16-2009, 05:36 AM   #32
Veteran Member

RH left so much, the last time he logged in was 4 hours ago.
06-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Here in Australia there's a saying that someone is a 'legend in their own lunch time'

Now this is harder to translate than some of that Japanese, but basically it is usually about someone who thinks their more important or better than they are, or anyone else (friend or foe) cares.

Why is it so important to be the first person to post a link to a page from your own blog. Why not just post the link to the original page with your own commentary on it or post your blog but don't then post-whore links to your blog on every forum in existance. If your blog is so good, people will already be reading it. I can't remember seeing Mike Johnstone (The Online Photographer) posting his blog everywhere.

For this reason, I have always seen RH (and others) as 'legends in their own lunchtime'

regards, Nige
06-16-2009, 11:01 PM   #34
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
Here in Australia there's a saying that someone is a 'legend in their own lunch time'

Now this is harder to translate than some of that Japanese
I'll give you a dollar if you try...

Still, I managed to ignore most of his posts (not "hit the ignore user button" ignore, just didn't go there) but every time one of them slipped under my radar, they all seemed to be "As you can see on my blog" or "Take a look at my blog" or "I've written a blog article about it" or "I've had this on my blog for ages!!!1111one!11", rather than just saying it outright. Begging for hits. It gets annoying, like how uber-photographer Ken Rockwell keeps begging for paypal at the end of every page on his site (if you're so damn good, why aren't you making from photography?)

He seemed to imply, or even state, that he had some secret pipeline into Pentax's inner workings. Whether he knew people, or a crystal ball or tea leaves or sheep entrails were involved was never made clear.

In the end, he seemed more concerned about drawing attention to his blog, away from this forum to further his own reputation, rather than participating. Because he was the grand vizier or something to the Royal Pentax Court. Man, if that's true, I'm going Nikon.

Well, I'm glad we no longer have to eat lunch with him.

06-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #35
Veteran Member

pentax needs to talk to hoya and assign soem funds to the following project: k-7, the making of. the story behind the scenes (a short film, most probably, available on youtube as well as pentax site and so on). if they do it right, people (especially photographers, of all levels) will eat it up: having insight into how a camera was born is something none of us would ever pass up. hell, even if nikon did it, i would be glued to the screen for the whole 20 minutes (or 1h); the making of a camera, a modern one, the real story, the challenges, the engineers, how they think, how they work, how they make the choices i have to live with after, you bet i'd want to see that. i remember the mk11 making-of film (lotus elise), i have seen it many years ago, several times.. i still remember details, fun facts (the brakes on the test prototype- ceramic - were going up to about 400celsius, under heavy use, which meant "mildly warm" for such a car, nowhere near "hot"; they realised it was actually quite economic early on, they didn't really intended it to be -- who cares? -- but commented on that "you need to stop for fuel more seldom, that can't be bad" or words to that effect, need i go on? ), and can recognize an elise from a mile, and the elise has a special place in my heart still, eventhough i was never a lotus fan (or even lotus-brand-aware in any way).

do you hear, pentax? let's see the movie
06-20-2009, 11:54 PM   #36
Nubi

I hear it loud and clear, but it ain't gonna happen. For them to do what they have done essentially required an act of God. I hear there are some real stiffs at the corporate headquarter at Hoya. My cousin at Canon tells me that it is a whole different ball game there. Coming up with a good product is simply not good enough for them. It is about something that is a whole lot more beyond that.