Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Get roaring drunk, act stupid, fall down, stand-up, puke, pass-out then,,,

...on the day after:

Wake-up with a four star headache.

Have a good breakfast, a handful of aspirin, some fresh batteries, make more pictures.
...and make REAL sure the shake reduction is turned on.

04-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Tough call. It'd be nice to be able to snap up some good, cheap Limiteds, but at the same time, I just found out that a good friend of mine is the son of the regional Nikon rep, and could hook me up at cost. Can't really argue with that...
04-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Get roaring drunk, act stupid, fall down, stand-up, puke, pass-out then,,,

...on the day after:

Wake-up with a four star headache.

Have a good breakfast, a handful of aspirin, some fresh batteries, make more pictures.
Welcome to my weekend. (minus the puking)
04-29-2007, 08:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If pentax cameras was no more which I doubt, I would buy a spare k10d or two (they should be cheap LOL) and snap up all the good lenses on the cheap

I doubt this will happen though.. but who knows life is full of surprises..

04-29-2007, 09:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
but who knows life is full of surprises..
Maybe Da24 f2 will be released tomorrow

I like pleasant happy surprises. Not the type that gave you a heart attack!
04-30-2007, 06:23 AM   #21
Inactive Account

if hoya buys pentax and quits the camera business. i'll just enjoy the pentax gear while it lasts. i currently have like 5 lenses, that are still in great shape. and im sure id probably pick up a k10d as well . as long as my bodies hold out and pentax bodies are still availible, im not going anywhere. as a very last resort, id probalby revert to canon for their L glass
04-30-2007, 06:46 AM   #22
wll
Veteran Member

I would wait a bit to see what is going to happen. If I got a feeling no one is picking Pentax up or a company I did not like picked them up, then I will sell everything and probably go to Nikon.

This Hoya - Pentax merger is a big bummer, as many of you like me have LOTS of money invested in lenses and gear and would end up loosing quite a bit.

wll

04-30-2007, 09:58 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty ridiculous post IMHO.

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
What will you do?

Anyway, we shall know if Pentax will be sold to Hoya or not by June 22:-

DEALTALK-Pentax managers mull options; buyout funds circle | News | Mergers/Acquisitions | Reuters
I have several close friends who are VERY knowedgeable about Japanese business and finances. It's their job to be knowledgeable and they ALL make lots of money because they are good at it.
Several points:
1 Pentax does NOT have enough money to fund either more expansion or R&D.
2 Pentax's current leadership is seen as focused (pun intended) ONLY on their own personal fortunes, not the future of the company. They nixed the Hoya deal last month because they were afraid for their own jobs. Many, if not most business leaders in Japan and elsewhere are somewhat disgusted with their shortsightedness.
3 Pentax NEEDS outside monies if it is to remain competitive in the DSLR marketplace.
4 Hoya is NOT planning on selling or letting the Photographic division die. It's one of Pentax's bright spots! Why would they want to sell it? There is no reason for them to. Hoya has never said they would sell it, only the usual noise to placate shareholders about "if it starts to lose money..."
5 (speculation on my part but based on real knowledge) Hoya needs to buy into Pentax or some other company to reduce it's excess cash, or they themselves will be seen as a company ripe for takeover.

So to answer your question RH, I'll be happier than I am now if Hoya buys Pentax. I think they have a brighter future with Hoya than without.

NaCl(quick! run! the sky is falling! the sky is falling!)H2O
04-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #24

Keep my equipment till someone else makes a DSLR with a K-mount.

What you feel they wont? LOL
04-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #25

as long as my gear works I'll continue to use it and as long as the rest of the users sell their gear off, I'll be able to continue feeding my LB addiction. When that is no longer possible I guess there should be something from somebody to fill the void with.
04-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #26
wll
Veteran Member

Thank You !

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I have several close friends who are VERY knowedgeable about Japanese business and finances. It's their job to be knowledgeable and they ALL make lots of money because they are good at it.
Several points:
1 Pentax does NOT have enough money to fund either more expansion or R&D.
2 Pentax's current leadership is seen as focused (pun intended) ONLY on their own personal fortunes, not the future of the company. They nixed the Hoya deal last month because they were afraid for their own jobs. Many, if not most business leaders in Japan and elsewhere are somewhat disgusted with their shortsightedness.
3 Pentax NEEDS outside monies if it is to remain competitive in the DSLR marketplace.
4 Hoya is NOT planning on selling or letting the Photographic division die. It's one of Pentax's bright spots! Why would they want to sell it? There is no reason for them to. Hoya has never said they would sell it, only the usual noise to placate shareholders about "if it starts to lose money..."
5 (speculation on my part but based on real knowledge) Hoya needs to buy into Pentax or some other company to reduce it's excess cash, or they themselves will be seen as a company ripe for takeover.

So to answer your question RH, I'll be happier than I am now if Hoya buys Pentax. I think they have a brighter future with Hoya than without.

NaCl(quick! run! the sky is falling! the sky is falling!)H2O
That was a well written post and it makes sense.

Thank you,

wll
04-30-2007, 05:23 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've not paid a great deal of attention to this saga, because I get compensated to worry about stuff at work but try to avoid it with hobbies. Nevertheless, for me the real question ultimately is: will a K-mount system (regardless of the entity that markets it) remain commercially available? If not, my answer to the OP's question is: when my bodies wear out or break I'll simply have to move to another manufacturer. As the wise man once said, "when there is no choice there are no problems." I'm not sure I agree with the wise man, but I will say, "when there is noice choice, there is no conundrum". Anyway, I'm going to have fun with the hobby and not worry (life is just too short).

Jer
05-01-2007, 07:17 AM   #28
Veteran Member

If Pentax gets sold off after the potential Hoya merger I'll just buy Samsung and some electrical tape.. I believe that in the long run all DSLR manufacturers are in trouble as digital video and HD become more prevalent anyway.
05-02-2007, 02:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

If hoya closed down the camera side of things, i would use my k100d until it refused to take any more photos and then keep using the canon.

I feel ive got the best of both worlds in owning both systems

What i wouldnt mind seeing though is fujifilm taking the reigns of the camera business and using their sensor in the pentax body with the pentax lens mount. That certainly would be something
05-02-2007, 07:57 AM   #30
Inactive Account

First I would step outside and see if the sky is falling. If it is not, I would except change, and move on. Life is always changing. You can either except it and move on, or be dragged down the road kicking and screeming. I really hate road rash.