Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2007, 01:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

If Hoya still buys Pentax and quits camera business..

What will you do?

Anyway, we shall know if Pentax will be sold to Hoya or not by June 22:-

DEALTALK-Pentax managers mull options; buyout funds circle | News | Mergers/Acquisitions | Reuters

04-29-2007, 01:45 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I'll do what I've always done..

and the only thing anyone can really do..

Use my equipment until it is no longer usable, and then buy something new.

What do you think people are going to do? Picket Hoya? lol.
04-29-2007, 01:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote
and the only thing anyone can really do..

Use my equipment until it is no longer usable, and then buy something new.

What do you think people are going to do? Picket Hoya? lol.
The possible things people will react are:

1. Sell out all their Pentax gear;

2. Buy more gear when they are last in stock;

3. Keep existing gear and buy into a new system;

4. Don't do anything and wait if someone takes over.

I myself will do the number 3, I guess.
04-29-2007, 01:57 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
The possible things people will react are:

1. Sell out all their Pentax gear;

2. Buy more gear when they are last in stock;

3. Keep existing gear and buy into a new system;

4. Don't do anything and wait if someone takes over.

I myself will do the number 3, I guess.
Hrrmm.. I suppose (3 would be closest to what I'd do). Not sure if we're quite ready for this hypothetical question yet though. heh.

04-29-2007, 02:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What will you do?
Nothing. I will be getting some new Pentax glass next week.

Even if Hoya does not want the camera business, it is too much of a valuable asset for them not to sell it to someone else. And I am sure there will be quite a few interested buyers. Pentax K Mount will continue regardless. Hopefully as a Pentax; but if it merges to another brand, and they allow Pentax engineers to do what they do best, we will continue to have great cameras and lenses.
04-29-2007, 02:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote
Hrrmm.. I suppose (3 would be closest to what I'd do). Not sure if we're quite ready for this hypothetical question yet though. heh.
Yes, the question maybe hypothetical. But things are indeed getting very close, much close than what we would expect.

The Sparx Investor claimed that they have the confidence to win in the battle, i.e., continue to sell the whole Pentax to Hoya. And then Hoya has stated clearly their stance, i.e., they are interested in the medical business of Pentax but not the camera business. It was also stated that Hoya will consider to stop camera business if it is not profitable (which is likely to happen). So, what will be the end result?
04-29-2007, 02:13 AM   #7
Inactive Account

On June 22nd the sun will still come up, sky will still be blue and water will still be wet.

Can't wait till all that cheap Pentax glass and k10D bodies hit Ebay - should last me out the rest of my life anyway.

Seriously though for the last 2 years all I have heard is that Pentax is going broke, getting out of the camera business blah, blah, blah....
And yet all I see is a new Lens plant opening, new camera models, new lenses, old lenses increasing in price due to the strong demand, a top notch fashion photographer being sponsored and a dedicated Pentax Australia site - Yep Australia where you could buy any Pentax you wanted as long as it came with a Sigma lens.
04-29-2007, 06:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Dollars and common sense

Pentax has, at worst, 5% of the DSLR market, new state of the art cost effective factories in Vietnam, and millions of lenses in the marketplace and you question the the line continuing in some form? Ridiculous!! At the very least somebody will grab it up , cut R & D and buy the rights to copy another manufacturers bodies. The line will remain the best bang for your buck system on the market which has always been their strength.
I have less than $2,000 invested in my system and could not duplicate it with any other brand for under $3,500 or more. They MIGHT become a little slow on bringing out the latest greatest by 8 to 12 months but no more then that. I will continue to buy Pentax because of it's value pricing regardless of who owns it and so will at least 5% of the market.
Within the next 3 months I will be buying a system for a friend and want to spend as little as possible but still give her a system that can be upgraded. After a lot of research it comes out to a K100D with several older lenses. A 28mm, 50mm, 135mm and body will be less than $540. Try to match that with anything else on the market.
So lighten up RiceHigh and start enjoying being a smart Pentax owner.
Regards,

04-29-2007, 06:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

What will you do?

Anyway, we shall know if Pentax will be sold to Hoya or not by June 22:-

DEALTALK-Pentax managers mull options; buyout funds circle | News | Mergers/Acquisitions | Reuters
Hi,

Hopefully everyone else will jump ship and will have decide whether to use the 85mm f1.4 that I had bought for $20 or the 77mm ltd that I bought for $10 or perhaps mousehills not as good as new 80-200 that no-one else wanted and I had paid $5 (+postage) LOL

Of course I could put a 10d body on each lens!!!

I can only hope!!

Phil
04-29-2007, 06:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

What will you do?[/url]
Get roaring drunk, act stupid, fall down, stand-up, puke, pass-out then,,,

...on the day after:

Wake-up with a four star headache.

Have a good breakfast, a handful of aspirin, some fresh batteries, make more pictures.
04-29-2007, 07:39 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I would cross that bridge when my last body dies.

Other then that, Hoya said they'll sell the camera business IF it isn't profitable, that fact of the matter, is that it is turning a profit at the moment, and that is projected to increase as time goes on, for the short to middle term.

If it is announced though, that the camera bizz was being sold i would go and buy myself a couple of extra bodies as backups, at the very least i am sure that i could find someone to repair my glass. and when the last body goes, i would have to consider whether or not to modify my lenses to fit on a EOS 5D mark IV or just shelf them as the collector items they would become.
04-29-2007, 11:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'd snatch up those used *Ist and K bodies. Those oldies K Mount will be even cheaper and I'll buy more of them. haha. But should pentax totally die off, the worst I'll do is buy an Olympus 4/3 body. You can get the older E bodies really cheap. Then I'll get one of those K-4/3 adaptors and use my K Mount lenses for added telephoto power.
04-29-2007, 01:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The Sparx Investor claimed that they have the confidence to win in the battle, i.e., continue to sell the whole Pentax to Hoya.
Sparx only has about 23.8% of the shares. So they may be a bit over confident. And Pentax won't go down without a fight:

DEALTALK-Pentax managers mull options; buyout funds circle
04-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #14
Forum Member

What will I do if a meteor hits Japan?

Or if California drops into the ocean with the next "big one?" Or if the ozone layer is ripped off the planet by evil aliens?

Some things are just too scary to think about. I think I'll go take some pictures before the aliens get here.
04-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #15

Wow! Is the Pentax sitiuation really as bad as some of us make it out to be? I currently only have the K100D and two cheap lenses, and wonder if I should get out and go [gasp]Canon[/gasp]. Then again, if Pentax will stick around for a while, I can keep the "I'm saving up for *DA lenses" mindset.

Also, if we invest in great Pentax glass now, is it possible to assume that Samsung might become more serious about their own R&D of high end K mount DSLRs? I don't really care about the brand badge as long as IQ, build quality, and value are good.