Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2009, 03:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 sensor vs K20d sensor

hi, i'm interested in technical information on the K20d and K-7 sensors manufactured by Samsung..

can anyone provide any links to articles or something..

i'm interested in technology being used to manufacture them, how they are alike, and how are they different.

I remember reading in some K-7 preview, that samsung found out the way to introduce more light to an individual photo cell...

so if anyone has any information on that i would be thankful if you'd provide any links or the actual information.

thanks.

06-18-2009, 03:59 AM   #2
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
hi, i'm interested in technical information on the K20d and K-7 sensors manufactured by Samsung..

thanks.
No any serious info. Check specs of K20D and GX20 at official sites.

K-7 has NEWLY DEVELOPED SENSOR. Higher speed, new colour filters, 4 channels.
06-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
At the time the K20D came out (early 2008) there have been a number of pages advertizing and explaining the Samsung part in the sensor design. Like better micro lens design. I have a hard time to find these pages now. Maybe, would have to spend an hour or so on Google. Maybe, you'll find links here in the forum browsing/searching older posts.
06-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It is easy to assume the sensors are similar and made by Samsung.
To my knowledge, Pentax has not openly said that Samsung had a hand or manufactured the obviously new K-7 sensor... then again I stand corrected.

06-18-2009, 07:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
No any serious info. Check specs of K20D and GX20 at official sites.

K-7 has NEWLY DEVELOPED SENSOR. Higher speed, new colour filters, 4 channels.
it is as "newly developed" as Sony did w/ 10mp sensors for Nikon.... D200 had a 4 channels modification and the rest 2 channels... and CFA along with IR/AA filters is not a sensor... so it is just a modification of our old friend from K20D, the rest is a marketing bs.
06-18-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah, I wouldn't categorize it as a brand new sensor either, more like the same sensor with new peripherals.
06-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Unless you're a Samsung engineer or have some solid insider knowledge how can you say that?

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Yeah, I wouldn't categorize it as a brand new sensor either, more like the same sensor with new peripherals.

06-18-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The gap between the individual pixels is more narrow in both versions of the Pentax/Samsung 14.6MP CMOS sensor. This means that the pixels are getting more light than in a traditional design with thicker walls between the sensors. By reducing the size of the walls, the light sensitive area is enlarged. I

The project was started by Pentax several years ago so the main draft is Pentax.
What Samsung has done, is to help Pentax out with making the design into a workable one, and Samsung has helped out with final production design and they are also manufacturing the sensor.
06-18-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
Unless you're a Samsung engineer or have some solid insider knowledge how can you say that?
local marketing sidekicks (like Roland) are not privy to those details either... they only have an access to marketing materials ahead of us, that's it...
06-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
local marketing sidekicks (like Roland) are not privy to those details either... they only have an access to marketing materials ahead of us, that's it...
But at least their guesses are educated, unlike yours which are just cynical.
06-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax is saying the sensor is redesigned. I've read in various places that it is a ground up redesign, that the photosites are larger with less space between them that the microlenses are larger and that all it has in common with the K20 sensor is the physical pixel count.
I find it highly improbable that the K-7 sensor is nothing more than a modified K20 sensor.
06-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sezme Quote
But at least their guesses are educated, unlike yours which are just cynical.
repeating like parrots what is written by marketing people is anything but educated...
06-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #13
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Pentax is saying the sensor is redesigned. I've read in various places that it is a ground up redesign, that the photosites are larger with less space between them that the microlenses are larger and that all it has in common with the K20 sensor is the physical pixel count.
I find it highly improbable that the K-7 sensor is nothing more than a modified K20 sensor.
Wheatfield,

I tend to agree. Hoya has a lot riding on this camera and it needs to stand above the K20D and be very competitive with the Nikon D300 and Canon's 50D.

I doubt just a redesign would be enough. I think there is a lot more that went into this sensor than just a redesign.

wll
06-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I've read in various places that it is a ground up redesign, that the photosites are larger with less space between them that the microlenses are larger and that all it has in common with the K20 sensor is the physical pixel count.
which places ? the same people are repeating the same things in all those places... as for "that the photosites are larger with less space between them, that the microlenses are larger" it is the exactly same thing that was told about K20D sensor when people where crying about 14.6mp before K20D release... recycling old slogans.
06-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
which places ? the same people are repeating the same things in all those places... as for "that the photosites are larger with less space between them, that the microlenses are larger" it is the exactly same thing that was told about K20D sensor when people where crying about 14.6mp before K20D release... recycling old slogans.
I'm not going to bother with a lot of research to answer this, however, from the K-7 brochure that Uncle Ned posted to his blog:

"Sensor
The 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor in the K‐7 is rebuilt from the ground up ....

While one could rightfully say that this is just more marketing speak, one could also rightfully say that Pentax isn't going to risk getting caught in a bald faced lie. I't pretty much a given that someone will take a K-7 apart to see if the sensor is, in fact, a brand new one or a rehash of the old one.