Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2009, 04:27 AM   #91

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Nigel, I read the commonts on your forum, and I'm a bit puzzled. Amazon.com has the K7 at the preorder price of $ 1 299, but you are using a totally different price i.e. $ 1 975. This is a huge price difference. What is the correct price, and how much does price affect the review score?

06-23-2009, 04:54 AM   #92

The quoted price of $1975 USD is how much it costs in the UK for the body only (converted from the stirling price of 1199). If the camera was the same price in the UK as it is in the USA the score would certainly have been higher.
It's easy to forget that Mike really did like the K-7 and said it's a great camera, but if you had to pay two grand for it in the US you guys might think a little differently about it too.
06-23-2009, 05:07 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yeah, this is typical, japanese camera companies have been at it for decades, you would have thought they'd calm down, with the internet and everything: "the msrp is 1000usd, 1000euro, or 1000gbp, respectively". wtf? and than they complain about "gray imports"
06-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #94
Veteran Member

I ordered my K20D last summer from amazon.com and had it sent to my uncle who sent it to me in sweden. I saved 600$ on that, on just the body including the shipping.
You guys over there have no idea how lucky you are on electronic prices And you complain about 1300$ for the K-7. Silly realy, heck you even complain about lens prices that are half of what we pay. Eather US are the backwater on paychecks or you just have to find something to complain about. We cant be happy can we

06-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #95
Vil
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NigelAtherton Quote
The quoted price of $1975 USD is how much it costs in the UK for the body only (converted from the stirling price of 1199). If the camera was the same price in the UK as it is in the USA the score would certainly have been higher.
It's easy to forget that Mike really did like the K-7 and said it's a great camera, but if you had to pay two grand for it in the US you guys might think a little differently about it too.
What I don't understand is that the reviewer even said the K-7 represented "good value against its competitors" and yet it only recieved 16/20 for value. The similairly priced D300 however, recieved an 18/20 for value.

I can only conclude that WDC considers the K-7 overpriced simply because its a Pentax.
06-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #96

But that was 18 months ago in a very different market. Every camera is judged in the context of the market prevailing at the time it is reviewed.
06-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #97
Vil
Inactive Account

But that was 18 months ago in a very different market. Every camera is judged in the context of the market prevailing at the time it is reviewed.

But the K-7 review says the K-7 represents good valude against its competitors, yet its given a relatively low value score. Its clear reading the rest of the section that WDC believes the K-7, due to its name, should offer more features for less money instead of more features for the same money. My gripe with that is, WDC seems to have taken what is indeed a positive aspect of the K-7 -its value for money - and turned it into a negative, simply because WDC believes a Pentax should be automatically less expensive then a Nikon and Canon, regardless of its features and performance.
06-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #98
Veteran Member

It seems like Pentax UK misinformed What Hi-Fi - oh sorry - What Camera about the K-7 was a production unit (it was in fact a pre-production unit with pre-production hardware and pre-production sensor, but with production firmware). All this may simply be a matter of misunderstanding or miscommunication between What Camera and Pentax UK, and quite possibly also between Pentax UK and Pentax Japan - could be a translation error between japanese and english.

We are still awaiting the production units with production hardware and production sensor.

I hope What Camera takes time to re-view their review, and I hope that they inform their readers about the missunderstanding about the status of the K-7 that they borrowed from Pentax UK.

06-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #99
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Since when price do convert in this way?

The guy was either very tired and incompetent.
06-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #100
Vil
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Since when price do convert in this way?

Either way, the price in the US should be irrelevent to a reviewer in the UK. To mark down the K7 because its much cheaper in other parts of the world is laughable. I wonder if WDC made the same point wrt the relatively high UK pricing of D300.
06-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #101
Forum Member

A review written by incompetents.
This is the evil face of moderm journalism. A Copy / paste here, one there, and a shameful article is good and ready.

Best funny tale of this review:

1) First Pentax with battery grip (!!!!!!!!!!)

2) "utilising 77 metering segments (notice the 7 and 77 theme here) for improved autofocusing" hahaha.
At most is the AF that help to improve the exposure. NOT the other way.

Bah...I have read enough.
06-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #102
Inactive Account

Nigel, the weak USD has brought Europeans to American cities on shopping sprees. Converting the price in Pounds into USD would only be meaningful if consumers in the UK paid for goods in USD. And you misspelled Sterling.
06-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #103
Inactive Account

Each and every minute your review is titled "... full production K7..." you lose more and more credibility. Fix that obvious misrepresentation.
06-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #104
Veteran Member

As Editor of What Digital Camera I have been following this discussion about our K-7 review with interest.
Id like to draw your attention to our response to these comments on our forum.

Thanks,
Nigel Atherton
How about I post a link on your "forum" to this thread? I don't see anything worth reading at the link you provided.
06-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #105
Pentaxian

FWIW, since we are discussing the vagaries of ainternationall pricing for the K7, I've seen the K7 advertised for pre-order on several Australian sites for about AUD$1500 body only. Eg digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au:

Body Only $1539
with Sigma 18-50mm $1649
with Pentax 18-55mm AL WR $1759
with Sigma 18-50 + 55-200 $1759
with Pentax 16-45mm $1929
with Sigma 18-200mm $1929
with Sigma 17-70mm $2049
with Pentax 18-250mm $2269
with Pentax 17-70mm $2269

Compared to the Euro prices, these look pretty good I must say