Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NigelAtherton Quote
As Editor of What Digital Camera I have been following this discussion about our K-7 review with interest.
Id like to draw your attention to our response to these comments on our forum.

Thanks,
Nigel Atherton
As th editor of the WDC you should immediately take corrective action to amend the report decisively since you know it is incorrect. By not doing that, you have lost all creditability to others (viewers or would be buyers) who may have interest in the product.

07-11-2009, 06:05 AM   #122

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Right, like a local camera store is going to let you do a full test before you buy.
I don't know about your local store, but I know that Arlington Camera allows me enough time with a camera to know if I want to buy it. That is why I did not buy a K20D.
07-11-2009, 06:37 AM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
I don't know about your local store, but I know that Arlington Camera allows me enough time with a camera to know if I want to buy it. That is why I did not buy a K20D.
Most shop will not do this but if you are regular visitor, most serious shops will do it (but they aren't many anymore )
07-13-2009, 01:59 AM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NigelAtherton Quote
fyi

We have today received clarification from Pentax UK on the K-7 body they gave us for review, and have now amended our review to make this clear. Details here
Hello Nigel;

When giving a new camera to a reviewer, I suggest he gets a complete briefing regarding the state of the firmware at the time of the review. I also suggest that the reviewer has a profound degree of understanding of the brand pedigree. As with any new camera, it takes some time to orient ones self to the idiosyncrasies of that specific camera. I cannot count how many times reviewers sound like total Nube's when reviewing camera's. It does not fare well for the credibility of any magazine when that happens. When I switched from Canon to Pentax, it took me several hours to orient myself to the nuances of the Pentax OS. I am sure that applies to anyone using a new system and I have used almost every brand out there.

But, what is done is done and as a result, my opinion of your magazine has dropped several rungs.

A perfect theme for my blog...

Ben

07-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
A perfect theme for my blog...
Ben, please let us know when you have put something online. Should be an interesting read.

Did you notice that some of the sample images look differently in a colour managed application like Firefox as opposed to Internet Explorer? That should not be the case if the magazine does not want the majority of the people to get a wrong impression of the colour intensity. Someone commented that the images use Adobe RGB instead of sRGB.

Well it would gel with the mostly poor photography and technical incompetences such as blown colour channels (reds in the rose image).
08-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #126

I'm more than a month late in getting to this thread - I was actually searching for something entirely different - please excuse me.

The outstanding point that has not been made re. this review is that the whole function of magazine publishers is to sell magazines.
That means catering to the fanboys.
There are more canikon fans than the pentax variety ergo more sucking up to the majority who would not buy subsequent issues of any mag. that trashed their judgement re. the choice of gear.

Remember also that magazines must make a profit for their proprietors.
One of the baseline costs is that of personnel. Paying top dollar for experienced and competent photographer journalists is simply beyond their means.

"Never mind the quality. Feel the width." as the old saying goes.