-1X magnification and 100% coverage
-3" AMOLED 960x720 (720p) 3:2 display
-Cmos sensor 14.6 megapixel 3:2
-100-6400 ISO
-4 frame per second
-Video HD 720p/30fps
-Audio stereo
-and more and more..."
Plausible spec. AMOLED is to be expected from Samsung (look at their phones).

I am almost sure that NX and K-7 share the same sensor (from the specs and some rational thinking). So, they use the full 1536x1024 live feed from the new sensor (used for both, LV and video recording) for their EVF. Nice. This life feed will start to exhibit some (color) Moiré at sharp focus which may actually help to focus manually

It is an impressive EVF specification. If the NX has the same lag between reality and LV as K-7 (~1/4s) though, it would be too slow for action. With CAF, it would be anyway Probably, why they stay with 4fps when the sensor can do better. Impressive enough.

It is a pitty that obviously, Samsung didn't wan't to share their rear screen with Pentax for the K-7 :ugh:

QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
i really really don't understand why does NX have to have that ugly fake prism hump?
probably because that ugly panasonic G1 have it too..
Well, you must put the display and optics for the EVF somewhere. Which is NX and GH1 have "something" built on top of the sensor (could have been to the side as well, though). The new Oly lacks the bulk -- and the EVF. The market will now decide what matters more

06-21-2009, 03:46 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
I think coolness depends on the lens line up. If you could have 3 different pancakes with it then i would consider it cool! The bulge houses a flash and EVF, so at least it will function like a camera unlike the EP1 which is more like a large expensive cameraphone but without a phone! taking photos with LCD display is very uncool in my opinion!
Well, at least the choice is there. Where I live (capital city of the Philippines), a form factor closer to a P&S rather than a DSLR is less conspicuous, thus making it more ideal for street shooting. To each his/her own. All are valid answers.

I will bet that more pancake lenses for both systems will come over time, though I'm thinking that both will work more on zooms before anything else to tempt possible entry-level DSLR buyers in the future.

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Well, you must put the display and optics for the EVF somewhere. Which is NX and GH1 have "something" built on top of the sensor (could have been to the side as well, though). The new Oly lacks the bulk -- and the EVF. The market will now decide what matters more
I can't really predict the future, but I would hazard a guess that both will co-exist for a couple of years before one overtakes the other. It would probably depend on Olympus or Samsung (or some other new entrant in the market) being able to fit an EVF on an E-P1 style body. A lot of people are enamored with that low-profile design lately, so I guess the first to offer an EVF solution with that form factor takes the lead. Olympus really only needs to offer a clip-on EVF accessory for them to satisfy both I-must-have-EVF and I-can-make-do-without-EVF-since-the-form-factor-suits-me camps.

There are a couple of question marks that I will have to see answers from with the NX. One, does it have in-body IS? Being that Pentax developed the SR system, I'm not sure if that's part of the tech-sharing agreement with Samsung, iif the latter licensed it from the former, if they simply done their own tech (which would be interesting to see), or if they put it in lenses altogether, which might help slim down their system a bit more and be able to profit a bit more on the glass. Personally, I'd rather not buy any camera from here on out without in-body IS.

Two, like what others have questioned before, compatibility with K-mount lenses without aperture rings.

Three, worldwide availability. This is a concern for me since the only Samsung cameras I see marketed here are the lowest-end Samsung cameras, nothing more.

Four, total commitment by Samsung to the system, and I mean this in terms of lenses, accessories, the whole shebang. It's hard to get a good read on Samsung's intents (much like Hoya), though the investment capital shouldn't be a problem for them if they really push it.

I have no reason to doubt Samsung's engineering prowess, though. You can't become an electronics giant without skilled engineers, no matter how swanky your product design is. For all the talk about how Apple is big because of good marketing and inspired design, there's also superb engineering behind their products.

That said, I do hope they show something on July 7th. At least by announcing it closer to the E-P1's shipping date, they may be able to sway some people's minds and still be able to ride the coattails of the generated buzz by Olympus in large-sensor, small interchangeable-lens cameras.
06-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
From the same site, NX with kit lenses, They look like modified pentax 18-55 & 50-200. The lenses look different to my samsung 50-200, same shape, different markings and grip, looks like a mf/af switch on side. kit lenses with sdm?

The question for me is does it have SR, weather seals, and can it drive screw mount lenses?
For me the telezoom look like a 18-250mm (28-375mm) and the standar zoom like a fast zoom, maybe a 16-50mm f/2.8 (24-75mm).

The pancake probably will be a 24 or 25mm (36mm)

The lenses have two switch, IS On/Off and AF/MF.
Th last one is very interesting because this allow use the MF like DSLR lenses.

I don´t think those lenses will be WR.
06-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Samsung Mount?

New samsung mount? Could it possibly be 4/3? Small and compatable with many current lens. Everything is just guessing at this point.

Steve N

06-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

cool!!!
Ugly

but very cool
06-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
i really really don't understand why does NX have to have that ugly fake prism hump?
To have a place to see the branding

Isn't there some concern about premature aging of OLED screens? (if that in fact is what it has)
06-23-2009, 02:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snkenai Quote
New samsung mount? Could it possibly be 4/3? Small and compatable with many current lens. Everything is just guessing at this point.

Steve N

A 4/3 mount wouldn't cover the APS-C sensor of the Samsung.
06-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I wonder how small Samsung can make one of these with an APS-C sensor. All of those zoom lenses look fairly large to me. Their mock up system almost looks like its more of a direct competitor to a DSLR than it does to m4/3's camera. If you were to add that NX mock up next to these two cameras hardly anyone would think its competing against the E-P1 instead of the Rebel:

Of course maybe that's their goal...a high quality imaging tool instead of a portable one. While not there yet, I do think EVF's will eventually surpass OVF's for usefulness in framing. Instant focus zoom, true 100% coverage, live histogram in the EVF, instant review without taking your eye out of the VF, etc. They just need to get the refresh rate up even higher and make them less grainy in low light.

06-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
They just need to get the refresh rate up even higher and make them less grainy in low light.
Higher than 250hz??
06-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I was actually basing that comment off of the test I've done with the Panny G1 since it is the current gold standard for EVF's. I actually haven't seen an hz rating for it though; just the "60 frames per second" spec. If Samsung matches that then that's all well and good for now, but it will need to get better eventually.
06-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #26

Original Poster
Samsung new AMOLED...

"Samsung is proud to announce their newest AMOLED display that features a WVGA resolution of 800 x 600, 4 times more clarity than your average display and 300 pixels per inch.

The South Korean manufacturer is also touting this display as consuming less power while sporting improved brightness. Sounds like my kind of display.

There is currently no word on when these beautiful displays will actually be available in market-ready handsets but lets hope its sooner rather than later."

Samsung shows off 800 x 600 AMOLED display - Specs, reviews and prices.
06-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I was actually basing that comment off of the test I've done with the Panny G1 since it is the current gold standard for EVF's. I actually haven't seen an hz rating for it though; just the "60 frames per second" spec. If Samsung matches that then that's all well and good for now, but it will need to get better eventually.
60 fps should make it a 60Hz display no?
06-25-2009, 01:28 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
K7 has a 640 x 480 display or something like this not 720p.

720p at 3" I think is overkill, but I may be wrong...
On the other hand K-7 has a real optical viewfinder...