Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2009, 02:18 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is there a problem for you guys to just buy from Amazon US and pay a little import tax?

50-135mm is still going for $750US or so.

06-24-2009, 02:27 AM   #32
Forum Member

Usually doesn't pay off.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. With the new prices it probably does!
06-24-2009, 02:43 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amaurosis Quote
Usually doesn't pay off.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. With the new prices it probably does!

That's my point :-)
06-24-2009, 02:55 AM   #34

I got my 50 - 135 for 749USD on amazon (thank god! received it on June 11, 2009) I think that is a real good deal... upon reading this thread, i checked out the pricing on some other websites, and holy mack! the prices are too high

I was in London last May and I remeber almost buying it at the London Camera Exchange for around 560GBP... and now its almost double the price... this is bad bad news for people like me who save up hard earned money to buy good glass.

PENTAX what is wrong?!?! I feel greatful that I was still able to get at a cheaper price, but really, this can not prolong!

I've been bragging to all my canon and nikon friends, that their lenses can not beat the value pentax brings with their "pro-line glass"

Look who is laughing now? =(

06-24-2009, 03:30 AM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
That's my point :-)
Still need to get used to these new prices as before the rise it definitely didn't pay off. The best thing then was to get someone to bring you lenses from the US. This way I got my FA31 for the equivalent of 600,- Euros - which is half of what it costs now in Germany!

I generally find the current prices too high, though. Thankfully I don't see much need to expand my setup at the moment

Last edited by amaurosis; 06-24-2009 at 03:30 AM. Reason: spelling
06-24-2009, 03:37 AM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amaurosis Quote
I generally find the current prices too high, though.
D'oh, no shit! What I meant is that I even find US prices too high now.

Wonder what's about to happen to their pricing philosophy with cameras, though...?
06-24-2009, 03:47 AM   #37
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Is there a problem for you guys to just buy from Amazon US and pay a little import tax?
In some cases and countries it really isn't just a little. Let's take a DA 15mm ltd as an example. My nearby store just told that their price is about 700 euros. B & H with the cheapest shipping would make it $653.55. Then I'd have to pay 22% VAT for the whole price (incl. shipping!) so the price would be atleast $797. Possibly no customs duty for a lens, but UPS (or whatever) would probably charge 10-20 euros for handling the taxes for me. So in effect we'd be around 600 euros. Which is naturally less than 700 euros, but I'd lose local warranty so I figure it's not just worth it.

EDIT: Re: Amazon. I browsed their website and I understood they ship only certain products abroad and that includes 17 lenses which of none is by Pentax???

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1245840632/ref=sr_nr_n_7?ie=UTF8&rs=502394&bbn=2...4%2Cn%3A499248
06-24-2009, 04:08 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Google search (must browse to last result to see real count!) on

"price hike" lens 12300
"price hike" sony lens 4980
"price hike" canon lens 1830
"price hike" nikon lens 458
"price hike" olympus lens 236
"price hike" pentax lens 189
"price hike" sigma lens 257
"price hike" leica lens 125

taking the raltive sizes into account, seems like it is a topic for

Sony, Canon, Pentax, Olympus.

It may be that it is the crisis in digital photo market. Maybe though, that buying power in countries which choose to print fresh money has already declined.

06-24-2009, 04:57 AM   #39
Veteran Member

may be, but according to my recollections, the canon prices haven't changed much, while the pentax ones are now so high that it actually looks like luxury items as opposed to "good quality , functional, nu fuss", like leica compared to canon. it's not there yet, but it looks intent on getting there fast.
06-24-2009, 05:14 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Lens Prices are up in USA

But you'd be hard pressed to find prices that have doubled.

Nikon had a Major spike in Feb 2009. Seeing this predicted in Nov 08, Dec 08,January 09 I acted on January 14th 09 before the spike hit just 3 days later ;^) Sometimes reading up on rumors sites can pay off big.

Canon's up right at 10% since I added their glass last year. In prior two years when I considered adding them and I wrote their prices down they increased 3% each of two prior years. I also became aware of best time of year to buy. So 10% hike in 2009 for them was a biggie. Then again they do still offer healthy instant rebates so if one can limit onesself to whats instantly rebated, it reduces outlay & one can still come out ahead.

I think Pentax price hikes seem higher due to inflation and the fact Hoya thought Pentax was selling their glass to cheap in the first place. So Pentax has a double price hike for Pentaxians to absorb. And profits for Pentax go to both Pentax and Hoya so there are two hands in the cash register now, not one. So it makes perfect sense to me to see Pentax lenses doubling in price.

Likely its now a good time to to enjoy what you own, & not lust after what you don't.

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Google search (must browse to last result to see real count!) on

"price hike" lens 12300
"price hike" sony lens 4980
"price hike" canon lens 1830
"price hike" nikon lens 458
"price hike" olympus lens 236
"price hike" pentax lens 189
"price hike" sigma lens 257
"price hike" leica lens 125

taking the raltive sizes into account, seems like it is a topic for

Sony, Canon, Pentax, Olympus.

It may be that it is the crisis in digital photo market. Maybe though, that buying power in countries which choose to print fresh money has already declined.

Last edited by Samsungian; 06-24-2009 at 05:20 AM.
06-24-2009, 06:17 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
(...)

I think Pentax price hikes seem higher due to inflation and the fact Hoya thought Pentax was selling their glass to cheap in the first place. So Pentax has a double price hike for Pentaxians to absorb. And profits for Pentax go to both Pentax and Hoya so there are two hands in the cash register now, not one. So it makes perfect sense to me to see Pentax lenses doubling in price.

(...)
read this again, until you realize what you wrote. it's like saying you would expect lens prices for nikon to double, because now there's sony to make the sensors, and nikon for the rest, or maybe even triple, as nikon is outsourcing some of the lens production to other companies, so three hands (at least) "in the cash register".

wake up and stop writing randomly, people might think you mean it.
06-24-2009, 07:18 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Nikon's been part of a larger company for years

Canon's not owned by a larger company and they make their own sensors and the create the glass in their lenses. They obviously are very capable of controlling price irregardless of currency exchanges due to this. Every lens, every camera I boughtfrom them says "Made In Japan" so they are not outsourcing entire production lines to cut cost like Pentax did.

Nikon's been owned by a larger company for years. Nothing's changed except for the 30% price spike they hit the world with starting last September, one country at a time. USA was last so it was easy to predict the future, and I did. Thus I avoided their lens system price spike on both new glass and a couple key used lenses. When new glass price is up, used ones go up too. ;^)

So whats changed in Past 14 months?

Hoya bought Pentax on April 1st 2008.

Now Pentaxians are seeing the highest price spikes. Coincidence?

Your money nanok, you get to spend it how you like. If you don't like seeing the price double and feel Pentax has a lame excuse price up "due to currency exchange" then don't buy.

Seems the point of this thread is Pentax lens prices are doubling in UK.

Did Nikon or Canon double their prices in UK too this year? I don't know. I live in USA and it didn't happen here (yet)

Now with everyone clamouring for unissued K-7, if these eager buyers simply wait 7 or 8 months they could save a solid $600 off K-7 which would be like getting a lens for free with K-7 in April 2010.

I'll consider adding a K-7, once its down to $700~ish, just like I did with K20D last Fall.

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
read this again, until you realize what you wrote. it's like saying you would expect lens prices for nikon to double, because now there's sony to make the sensors, and nikon for the rest, or maybe even triple, as nikon is outsourcing some of the lens production to other companies, so three hands (at least) "in the cash register".

wake up and stop writing randomly, people might think you mean it.

Last edited by Samsungian; 06-24-2009 at 07:28 AM.
06-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #43
emr

I wonder if Pentax/Hoya is so confident about K-7 that they expect its release to increase demand for lenses despite the price hike. However, the door swings both ways and it may well be that the new lens prices lessen the interest in the new body.
06-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I think IŽll most likely be sticking to either Tamron or Sigma for any new lenses & keeping an eye open for second hand Pentax primes.

In the UK there are only three companies that get their supplies direct from Pentax: SRS, Park & Clifton. When a price or availability change hits one, it hits the others with days or weeks. I watched the K200D disappear from all of them & I got the last but one that Clifton received (glad I didnŽt wait any longer). The other side of that is that when thereŽs a price hike you can be sure it came from Pentax rather than from the retailer or some middle-man.

But at the time of writing, Clifton still have the 50-135 listed at 559 GBP. Bag it while you can if youŽre after one.
06-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #45
Veteran Member

samsungian: my point is that there is no excuse, and such a price increase is not normal, and doesn't make sense (not even business sense). pentax has never been "in trouble" financially, as far as i recall, not the past few years or so anyway, so what they seem to be doing now with lens prices is a decision, not a forced occurence, if it comes from hoya or pentax, is all the same to me, and it doesn't change the fact that there is no reasonable justification to it.

i agree that the k-7 might end up as "dead at birth" because of this, people buyingk-7 spec cameras do their homework before spending cash, and this is true not only for pentax shooters. a small fraction of current pentax customers, which have glass they like and are not planning to add more of it soon, might buy it, but anyone else will look at the big picture, and will quickly discard the option when they realize they can get the same from canikon at lower prices. i do hope this is just some terrible mistake/misunderstanding which will be fixed in a matter of months or weeks, it would be such a shame

i am not predicting doom and gloom, just saying it like it is. i love my pentax gear, and i was preparing to buy more (mostly da* range) glass, but if things don't go back to normal, i might think again. how many others are starting to think the same, i wonder?