Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2009, 05:28 AM   #46
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amaurosis Quote
...the black FA31 costs an unbelievable 1200,- Euros now!...
Park Cameras are listing it with a 440 discount from an RRP of 1439.99, which is more than double the 699 I was quoted last year.

Looks like they have raised the RRP to give them some pricing flexibility, but still giving enough margin for the sellers to discount. 999 is still a very big increase though.

06-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #47

I took delivery yesterday of a brand new DA*50-135 from London Camera Exchange for 549.00, which now looks like a bit of a bargain to me

Just got get out and see if it performs to my expectations
06-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #48
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorch Quote
I took delivery yesterday of a brand new DA*50-135 from London Camera Exchange for 549.00, which now looks like a bit of a bargain to me

Just got get out and see if it performs to my expectations
that very same shop is holding used ones (rated at ****) for 499 (both 16-50 and 50-135) which is bargaing too... I'd say
06-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #49
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fast50 Quote
Park Cameras are listing it with a 440 discount from an RRP of 1439.99, which is more than double the 699 I was quoted last year.

Looks like they have raised the RRP to give them some pricing flexibility, but still giving enough margin for the sellers to discount. 999 is still a very big increase though.
999 and they are saying they're selling it with discount... b*!?sh!t
where the hell is this going...

06-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #50
axl
Veteran Member

seriously I'm really annoyed with the current situation.
We have 3 versions of 18-55 retailing at 50 each and 4th on it's way. And instead of delivering new affordable primes, they are going to rise the prices of the old ones? C'mon...
Today I had a chat with sales assistant at SRS, according to him, I'll be soon able to turn profit on my DA40ltd. I bought it in April 2008 for 200 now it's retailing at 239 (the cheapest). So if his words are true, I would have to be able to sell it for at least 201 which indicates new price close to 300 mark or above, which is very uncomfortable to think of!

BR
06-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if Pentax is going to use a rebate strategy on lenses to hook people in who don't usually keep an eye on lens prices?
06-26-2009, 12:44 AM   #52
Veteran Member

they better start soon, or they will push the other people out. i hope the rebates are not us only, as it was before
06-26-2009, 04:47 AM   #53

I tried to contact a few dealers who still had one FA 50 /1,4 left in stock for the old price. Suddenly that lens was "just sold out" and the price went sky high.

Cheapest in Sweden now is:
5600 SEK
500 EUR
700 USD

This is for the FA 50 /1,4!!!!!!!!!!!
This means that there is no cheap, fast 50 anymore! All is relative of course but to me, this is not cheap!

One dealer told me over the phone that they are trying to contact Pentax to get an explanation since they too find it extremely strange. He said other brands has gone up 30%, Pentax 100% since January.

I love my K10D and the lenses I had planned to buy would have been a great upgrade path for me. Ironically now when Pentax presents the amazing K-7, the thought of switching brands has entered my mind for the first time. It wouldn't take many lenses to finance a new body. I can live with a less than perfect body if I can afford great lenses.

06-26-2009, 05:17 AM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Today I had a chat with sales assistant at SRS, according to him, I'll be soon able to turn profit on my DA40ltd. I bought it in April 2008 for 200 now it's retailing at 239 (the cheapest). So if his words are true, I would have to be able to sell it for at least 201 which indicates new price close to 300 mark or above, which is very uncomfortable to think of!

BR
355 at Warehouse Express, which is usualy an accurate guide to where things are headed...
Its a thinly diguised plot to make the 645D seem affordable when it is realeased into the wild!
06-26-2009, 05:29 AM   #55
K-9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just look for new or near new lenses from reputable internet sellers. You can always find the lens you're looking for somewhere, for a better price, if you look hard enough and have patience.
06-26-2009, 06:25 AM   #56
Veteran Member

If I had money I would be snapping up lenses now, simply to try them out and resell with no loss later.

But I have no money.
06-26-2009, 07:56 AM   #57
Veteran Member

i don't mean to be cinical, but, look at the big picture: sell them to whom? if they keep at it, it might be harder to find somebody to sell a k-mount lens to, than it is to find some rare k-mount lenses now (like the 80-ish ones)

edit: i think a poll is called for, to figure out how many people are actually concerned, and to what extent. something along the lines "does the price hike of pentax lenses affect your purchase plans?, 1. not at all 2. yes, i am waiting 3. yes, i am going with third party 4. i am waiting, considering switching brands altogether 5. i am gone already, bye bye."; maybe a first post with some graphs displaying the trend for some of the lenses (both the worse ones and the most stable ones)

now, the only problem is i am no forum guru, does anyone know how to do this?

Last edited by nanok; 06-26-2009 at 08:03 AM.
06-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #58
Veteran Member

to put things into perspective, and not give anybody the wrong idea: i am genuinely concerned, i actually bought a second k20d body just today, for "the family", i must admit though i hesitated, and looked at other oprions, but finally gave in, i find it hard to give up my system jsut like that. more lenses are planned though, i have no cash for them yet, but i should soon (a few months), meanwhile, i will watch the trend carefully, if it's not getting any better, i will start selling before it's too late, i am sorry, but, with all due respect, i will not stop taking pictures (with the kind of lenses i want and should afford) to wait for pentax to figure out why lenses don't sell at double the price, life's jsut too short, and my "loyalty" towards pentax (or any brand for that matter) can only go so far.
06-26-2009, 08:30 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Good For You, getting a 2nd K20D

I really like the K20D I got last fall, primarily for the wife. I use it too. I am torn on whether to get a 2nd one or hold firm and buy no more new gears from anyone. I HAVE TO buy a wimberly gimbal tripodhead in next few weeks for this summer's trips, so there goes $595, just like that. I usually buy two identical cameras and I only have the one K20D. Luckily for you you likely have decent glass to tide you over until you make your decision concerning the insane price increases Pentax is imposing on the existing lens system.

On my short list I'd like to add a DA 12-24mm f4, well for the wife, so I can use it too.
BUT, Even this older DA is up in money & I've got the same focal length covered with other brands, so in reality it is a redundant choice. Nor is it weathersealed and I own no weathersealed glass. So I wait. Which may mean it'll cost even more if I choose something new... and the pentax price spike cycle continues:

Selling less gear for more coin , instead of selling more gear for less coin.

I'm curious what the grip will cost for K-7? Theres nothing concerning it's price in USA. I think the Aussie price is near $500 in a thread somewhere on this site. That would be pushing $300 in a straight currency trade... Ouch.

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
to put things into perspective, and not give anybody the wrong idea: i am genuinely concerned, i actually bought a second k20d body just today, for "the family", i must admit though i hesitated, and looked at other oprions, but finally gave in, i find it hard to give up my system jsut like that. more lenses are planned though, i have no cash for them yet, but i should soon (a few months), meanwhile, i will watch the trend carefully, if it's not getting any better, i will start selling before it's too late, i am sorry, but, with all due respect, i will not stop taking pictures (with the kind of lenses i want and should afford) to wait for pentax to figure out why lenses don't sell at double the price, life's jsut too short, and my "loyalty" towards pentax (or any brand for that matter) can only go so far.

Last edited by Samsungian; 06-26-2009 at 09:01 AM.
06-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
i don't mean to be cinical, but, look at the big picture: sell them to whom? if they keep at it, it might be harder to find somebody to sell a k-mount lens to, than it is to find some rare k-mount lenses now (like the 80-ish ones)
Prices are cyclic. Lenses keep their value. Buy low, sell high still applies.