Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I'm in USA. If I buy New Pentax gear from Canada, is there a Warranty or Not?

I was always under the impression Pentax USA honors Canadian purchased Pentax goods with 1 year warranty. I just came across this from a 14 year employee of Pentax USA saying "no warranty coverage for grey market"

Yet I'm certain I've read USA owners getting warranty work done in USA on their defective Sold in Canadian Market and shipped to USA Pentax Camera and Lens purchases.

So, I am wondering if this is a new policy ???

>>>>>>>>>>>> "

JCPentax

Gallery Photos: 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technically, product shipped from Canada to a US customer is considered grey market and will not be repaired under warranty. International warranties are for customers who buy cameras in another country (not shipped from one country to the next), then go to their home country (i.e. bought a camera in Canada, then drove it across the border = OK, bought it from a store in Canada that shipped it to the US = NOT OK).

If the Pentax service department sees a reciept for a product invoiced from a company in Canada, or any other country for that matter, and shipped to a U.S. address, it sends up a very large red flag that the product is technically not covered under warranty. "

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I Pulled this official response from here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/542923-post31.html

06-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SOP for most companies.

Are you actually pondering buying something Pentax, or just stirring the waters? Sure you shouldn't be worried about your Canikon stuff?

"Thank you for writing to us. If the camera is gray market and purchased in the US with a valid proof of purchase, then it does have a Canon USA warranty. If the product is from overseas or purchased overseas, it will not have a honorable warranty. "

"Gray Market=No Warranty and No Repair. If you purchase a gray market import, you won't get any Nikon warranty. The only warranty that will be honored is any that the retailer provides (B&H, for example, provides their own one-year warranty on gray market imports). Moreover, outside of warranty, the product will (usually*) still not be repaired by NikonUSA--you'd have to find a third party repair shop to fix it once the warranty expired.

NikonUSA Import=Warranty. If you purchase an officially imported product, you get a warranty that your NikonUSA honors. Moreover, once out of warranty, NikonUSA will repair the equipment (and charge you for the cost of repairs).
06-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Why on earth would you buy NEW Pentax gear from Canada any way?
i can see is it was for a rare used item (but then you don't get warranty any way)

AMAZON, ADORAMA, B&H all in the good old U . S of A
06-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
i can see is it was for a rare used item (but then you don't get warranty any way)

Well because prodigitial2000 and one other shop on Ebay sell lenses at a 5-20% savings over those three companies. Some with a 3 or 5 year warranty.. in fact I think one lens had an 8 year warranty.. all I have to do is ship it back to the company and they will take care of the rest.. assuming they are still in business

06-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

perhaps I was the exception to the rule but I bought a lens from ProDigital2000 that needed some warranty work and it was repaired at no cost to me other than shipping to Pentax.
06-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrt10x Quote
Well because prodigitial2000 and one other shop on Ebay sell lenses at a 5-20% savings over those three companies. Some with a 3 or 5 year warranty.. in fact I think one lens had an 8 year warranty.. all I have to do is ship it back to the company and they will take care of the rest.. assuming they are still in business
right prodigital... forgot about them ... and I just bought the 77mm from them
06-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote

What the other guy said...

prodigital2000 is the eBay storefront for an official Pentax dealer in Ontario. My FA 77/1.8 Limited came with Pentax Canada 2 year warranty papers as well as an extended warranty from prodigital2000. I suppose if I needed warranty work, I could send the unit to Pentax Canada.

Steve

06-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What the other guy said...

prodigital2000 is the eBay storefront for an official Pentax dealer in Ontario. My FA 77/1.8 Limited came with Pentax Canada 2 year warranty papers as well as an extended warranty from prodigital2000. I suppose if I needed warranty work, I could send the unit to Pentax Canada.

Steve
I actually think you can't unless you have a Canadian friend, since the gear has to be sent back to Canada? CMIIW. Either way I think in the fine print somewhere it should say that it comes with 1 year international warranty...
06-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #9

Well what they tell you when you buy is that you send it back to them..then they send it in for repair.

edit: and I would never have a Canadian friend
06-23-2009, 04:52 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by mrt10x Quote
Well what they tell you when you buy is that you send it back to them..then they send it in for repair.

edit: and I would never have a Canadian friend
is the 'them' in this post prodigital2000?

i bought a k-m from prodigital2000 this past december and am on vacation right now.... and my camera broke for no reason. I'm so angry. I'm trying to find the policy on this situation but its very confusing, and i really hope i can get my camera fixed.

so angry
06-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #11

Well this was based upon a lens purchase 6 months ago.. they used to have different prices for the same lens, now all their listings (i just checked) all have the same price and are listed as a 1 year international warranty. So my data may be incorrect depending on when you bought it. Now my information was based upon a phone call with them regarding how to take care of the extended warranty that came with the lens I bought.. who knows if I will be able to ever execute said warranty.. that being said in 35 years of photography I have never returned a lens for warranty issues.. a couple of cameras,,, but never a lens.
06-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you buy a lens from prodigital2000, they will send a PDF copy of the receipt if requested via email. Print out the PDF and send it in with the lens for warranty service. I had to do this for one of my lens.
07-01-2009, 06:43 AM   #13

i just called pentax usa and they said as long as you bought from an authorized dealer from canada (ie. prodigital) and you have an electronic invoice (ie. with company letterhead etc.) that the camera comes with a 1-year factory warranty. they said paypal receipts will not work.

i tried calling them yesterday and was skirting around the topic of actually buying from canada and one of the questions was did you buy from canada, so im wondering if maybe i got two different answers....

i guess i'll call prodigital tomorrow (today is holiday in canada apparently) and hoepfully get it sorted out

i realized just now also, that the customer service agent that i talked to was the one who told me my camera wasnt working properly b/c i was not using the correctly rated batteries. i'll call them again and see if i can get one more answer
07-01-2009, 06:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eyou Quote
i just called pentax usa and they said as long as you bought from an authorized dealer from canada (ie. prodigital) and you have an electronic invoice (ie. with company letterhead etc.) that the camera comes with a 1-year factory warranty. they said paypal receipts will not work.
I can confirm that: I recently bought the DA* 16-50mm lens from a fellow forum member here who bought the lens from Prodigital2000. There were some problems with the lens, he had to send the lens to Colorado for repair (under warranty); the lens was replaced instead of repaired. When I got the "replaced" lens, I also found some problems, so I sent that lens to Pentax Canada repair center. The replaced lens is also replaced by Pentax Canada. Now I have the replaced lens under Canadian warranty.

In short, Pentax USA will honour the Canadian product with 1 year warranty if purchased from Prodigital (probably apply to all authorized Canadian dealers), unless of course the policy has changed since then.

Last edited by aleonx3; 07-01-2009 at 06:59 AM. Reason: grammer
07-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

My understanding is that pentax got international varanty on both bodies and lenses. Not on there compacts.