Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Brilliant new feature: save your jpegs

Page 252 in the manual:

QuoteQuote:
You can readjust Custom Image and White Balance for images shot in JPEG format immediately after shooting them without deteriorating image quality.
Looks like it keeps the raw data for each shot in RAM until it's cleared by the next picture. So if you pick up your camera and shoot without remembering that it was set to Tungsten and you're outdoors now, you can salvage the picture, even if you're not using RAW. Cool!

06-24-2009, 10:05 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which model are you talking?
06-24-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
AM2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sudhakar Quote
Which model are you talking?
It's the K-7.
06-25-2009, 02:05 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a nice bonus-feature, even if I always shoot in RAW.

06-25-2009, 02:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The K20 currently retains the RAW data for the last image anyway - there is an option in the white balance and custom image pages to resave the last RAW image. From memory I think you do this by pressing the function key. So it's really just a pretty awesome extension of the status quo...
06-25-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
The K20 currently retains the RAW data for the last image anyway - there is an option in the white balance and custom image pages to resave the last RAW image. From memory I think you do this by pressing the function key. So it's really just a pretty awesome extension of the status quo...
Is that in the instruction book, is so where, and if not, how is it done... that is very cool.

wll
06-25-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
Inactive Account

See, you (I) really do learn something new everyday. That's why I love this freaking forum.

Thanks for that.
06-25-2009, 06:07 AM   #8

You've always been able to edit the "last shot" Jpeg via the custom image settings and save it as a new file.

K20.

06-25-2009, 06:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

No kidding! I guess it pays to read through the manual a couple of times because I missed that the first time around... so that JPEG is generated off RAW data even though I don't shoot in RAW?

Nice!
06-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This feature on K20D only works on RAW file, it doesn't work if the photo is taken in JPG format...
06-25-2009, 06:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Is that in the instruction book, is so where, and if not, how is it done... that is very cool.
It's mentioned on the bottom of page 155, and hinted at on page 161, step 3.
It's not exactly spelled out - it's more of a bonus feature.

What happens is that when you're in the custom image, or white balance page, the camera displays a preview of the last image captured (since it was turned on, anyway) with the settings you have selected - if you press the Fn button, the camera will prompt you asking if you want to save as a new image - if you choose yes, it will re-develop that image with the current settings.

Also, note it's the last capture - if you use digital preview mode, this counts as a 'shot' and wipes the image before it.

Even if your camera is in RAW mode, the newly saved image will be a jpeg.

QuoteOriginally posted by bentax Quote
You've always been able to edit the "last shot" Jpeg via the custom image settings and save it as a new file.
Yes, and it works for white balance too. From the OP it sounds like the K-7 may take this one step furthur though...

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
No kidding! I guess it pays to read through the manual a couple of times because I missed that the first time around... so that JPEG is generated off RAW data even though I don't shoot in RAW?
Yes, it is. The camera seems to keep the last captured image (since it was turned on) in a buffer, so this sort of thing can be done. Remember all the in camera JPEG engine is, is a RAW developer built into the camera with certain preset profiles.

Last edited by cpopham; 06-25-2009 at 07:00 AM.
06-25-2009, 06:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
This feature on K20D only works on RAW file, it doesn't work if the photo is taken in JPG format...
Just to clarify, I am not talking about the in camera RAW development feature, I am talking about when the camera is in capture / shooting mode, after you have taken a shot, going into custom image, or white balance, and pressing the Fn button. Try it, you may be surprised!

Last edited by cpopham; 06-25-2009 at 07:01 AM.
06-25-2009, 07:03 AM   #13

Just to clarify, I am not talking about the in camera RAW development feature, I am talking about when the camera is in capture / shooting mode, going into custom image, or white balance, and pressing the Fn button. Try it, you may be surprised!

Even Ned Bunnell may be suprised.

From the comments on his blog. Monday June 8 - K7 custom image presets.

"Matthew Miller said...

Thanks Ned! A suggestion, though: could you do this with the exact same image shot in RAW, and then developed using the in-camera conversion with the different tone settings. (Like I did here, but of course you wouldn't need to do the whole matrix.) That'd make it a lot easier to flip back and forth and really see the differences without being distracted by changes in the pose.

9:26 PM
Blogger Ned Bunnell said...

Matthew, good thought but not possible for me to do at this point since I don't have the final RAW conversion software. And, as this was intended to be a simple test, I assumed the slight changes in each pose would not be a deal breaker. Cheers, Ned"
06-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #14
Pentaxian

FWIW, Adobe Camera RAW can be invoked to process jpeg files as if they are raw files, thereby obviating the problem of in camera jpeg mistakes.
06-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

ahem.. how does the fact that you treat a horses ass as if it was a pretty ladyes face obviate the fact that you are still talking about, seeing and (sorry) smelling the former? joke aside, knowing you, i assume i must be missing something? (i just don't understand why it would matter that i process the jpeg with lightroom or anything else, there's still the same amount of information to begin with, so the same problems apply, right?)

regarding the said feature: very interesting, good to know.