Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K20D $639 shipped at Amazon as of 06/24/09

Now that they shipped mine, I can post...hehehe...they show 5-left but dunno how long they will keep them at that price:

Amazon.com: Pentax K20D 14.6MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction (Body Only): Camera & Photo

Also, Amazon is known to play pricing games with folks so keep looking at it should it show you a different price. I actually got mine for $631. Willoughby's has them for $629 right now but I've never purchased from them either directly or via Amazon. I really don't see them dropping much further for the next several months and don't think buying at this price is a significant risk like popping for the K-7 before we actually know the off the self price. All that has been indicated is the MSRP...

For this price I decided to buy a K20D to hold me over until the K-7 is released and drops a bit in price. I figure even lose 10-15% over the next few months it is a lot cheaper than a rental...with my luck I'll keep both...hahahaha...

06-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

If one is looking for a K20D just to hold them over until the K7 comes out, BestBuy has refurbished ones available at $500.

PENTAX - Factory-Refurbished 14.6-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera - Black - K20
06-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
If one is looking for a K20D just to hold them over until the K7 comes out, BestBuy has refurbished ones available at $500.

I would prefer paying the extra $100 and get the new camera w/ the 3 year warranty..

Last edited by NothingInCommon; 06-25-2009 at 02:22 PM.
06-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Nice find on the referb is someone just wants a body and isn't worry about it long term. But as NothingInCommon mentions, in post #3, people need to weigh the value of spending $130-$140 more for the 3-yr warranty.

Something else to consider with BestBuy is that they would charge most of us sales tax, I use 8% as a ballpark number so you are looking at another $30-$40 in sales tax for the majority of people in the US This drops the difference to $100...then there is the shipping cost, I am an Amazon Prime member so I got overnight shipping for just $4, but with BestBuy that service is $20. I just ran a fast total at BestBuy and using the same service the referb is ~$567, or ~$70 less than new with the 3yr warranty.

For me, resale value is important as I do expect to resell in a couple months or so, even if I wait a year, having a full 2-yrs remaining on the warranty is a plus with maybe $50 toward the resale value.

I think, however BestBuy as a free in-store pickup option...that is a good deal for sure. Still sales tax but none the less if all you have is $500 to spend, then that is just the way it is...of course BestBuy will be happy to sell a person on of their house brand extended warranties and I bet most people will pop for that option...

QuoteOriginally posted by NothingInCommon Quote
I would prefer paying the extra $100 and get the new camera w/ the 3 year warranty..
I fully agree. I am lucky in that I can afford the extra right now. But I also value the longest warranties I can get...my warranty ends up being a 4yr warranty because the CC I used offers that double the MFG warranty up to a year longer, though come to think of it this card might have a 2yr max. I need to check that...though I probably will not own the body that long.

I just think is a person wants a great deal and wants it now rather than later...it's about as low as we'll see for a while. I can see the NOS dropping to maybe $589 until the remaining stock is exhausted around the holiday season.

06-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I wonder what refurbished means? I tried the 'learn more' link in the ad but get 'page unavailable'. Would a new shutter and sensor be included?
FWIW there is only 90 day warranty on the refurb.
06-26-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
I wonder what refurbished means? I tried the 'learn more' link in the ad but get 'page unavailable'.
BestBuy Refurbished FAQ
06-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Well, it's over now, but QVC had the Pentax k20D as ther "Today's Special Value" yesterday. It was $699 with a three year warranty, 18-55 lens and som extra Corel software. The shipping was about $14 and they had the "easy pay" option where you can divide it up into 4 monthly payments.

They sold out.

Last edited by Sew-Classic; 06-26-2009 at 10:20 AM.
06-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sew-Classic Quote
Well, it's over now, but QVC had the Pentax k20D as ther "Today's Special Value" yesterday. It was $699 with a three year warranty, 18-55 lens and som extra Corel software. The shipping was about $14 and they had the "easy pay" option where you can divide it up into 4 monthly payments.

They sold out.
Sounds like a good deal...but I wonder if the marketing spin they used was pushing the standard warranty as an "extended" warranty? Were they adding 3yrs to the Pentax warranty or is 3yrs the standard Pentax warranty?

The easy pay though sort of makes it a no brainer for a lot of folks who are like me and pay offer our cards every month....I do it not because I am great with money, but because I am AWFUL at remembering to pay bills...hahaha....so I make sure everything is paid off so I don't get those "love notes" from the CC companies.

While talking about these kits. Is the lens in the 18-55 AL II in the kit the same as the AL WR version? I am still getting a handle on the lens designations from Pentax...

06-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you...
06-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Sounds like a good deal...but I wonder if the marketing spin they used was pushing the standard warranty as an "extended" warranty? Were they adding 3yrs to the Pentax warranty or is 3yrs the standard Pentax warranty?
Warranty and Repairs - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site- pentax warranty info

FWIW, with the easy pay, they bill your credit card in 4, monthly installments. It's a way to stretch it out without paying any interest. You can also just pay for items in a lump sum. The easy pay is optional.

I'm pretty sure that the WR lenses aren't bundled with any of the cameras in kits, but I could be wrong.
06-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sew-Classic Quote
Warranty and Repairs - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site- pentax warranty info

FWIW, with the easy pay, they bill your credit card in 4, monthly installments. It's a way to stretch it out without paying any interest. You can also just pay for items in a lump sum. The easy pay is optional.

I'm pretty sure that the WR lenses aren't bundled with any of the cameras in kits, but I could be wrong.
Thanks! I was aware of the Pentax register your camera & get a 3yr warranty thing. My question was if QVC was adding a separate 3yr warranty or just using the one Pentax offers anyway. From the sound of the post in reference, it seems as if QVC was just doing a bit of marketing slight of hand...nothing wrong with that though...one needs to KNOW what one is buying.

Thanks for the info on the WR lens as the kit lens...I found a review which actually said the included lens was WR but, my crap detector started triggering at the time because the lens had no WR in the name on the box. I figured the reviewer was just confused or that I was not aware enough with the Pentax lens line up just yet...
06-27-2009, 05:30 AM   #12
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Something else to consider with BestBuy is that they would charge most of us sales tax, I use 8% as a ballpark number so you are looking at another $30-$40 in sales tax for the majority of people in the US This drops the difference to $100...then there is the shipping cost, I am an Amazon Prime member so I got overnight shipping for just $4, but with BestBuy that service is $20. I just ran a fast total at BestBuy and using the same service the referb is ~$567, or ~$70 less than new with the 3yr warranty.
That is a big deal here in Kalifornia. The tax is ~9.25% here in Los Angeles and I have stopped just about all my large purchases here because of that.

wll
06-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
That is a big deal here in Kalifornia. The tax is ~9.25% here in Los Angeles and I have stopped just about all my large purchases here because of that.

wll
tell me about it...I live in the Fascist County of Santa Barbara...we have the "life nanny's" as well as the "costal commission" AND the taxes...though I think we are at "only" 8.75%