Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Chasseur d'Images K-7 'in hands' preview

Got my copy of latest Chasseur d'Images preview.
I will put down here what I find interesting from the article. No, I will not translate the whole thing, wouldn't be correct, just what we did not know or anything else interesting.
  1. D-LI90 battery a lot more compact than D-LI50 but D-LI90 more powerful (1820mAh instead of 1620 mAh).
  2. Using viewfinder with eyeglass is totally possible although you need to press the glass against the eyepiece to view it all. Still, high-end viewfinder they say and brightness is good thanks to the prism.
  3. Focussing screen can of course be changed. Could be a bit better a smallest apertures but it allows a high level contrast, making it easy to notice the transition focussed/not focussed.
  4. Screen easily readable even when the camera is used in various positions usually making the screen difficult to read. Its high definition allows a powerfull zoom function for checking focussing state.
  5. They love the choice for Tungsten WB
  6. They love the histogram with blown highlights...
  7. They love auto horizon correction and sensor manual move, easier than toying with the tripod ballhead.
  8. 'The new user interface has seduced us [...] very efficient !' (buttons etc.)
  9. The electronic DOF preview, once used can be directly saved to the card if it suits the photographer, rather than having to take one more picture.

Everything else is known already, no point in stating them again.

Of course this is translated from french, so please take this into account, my enhlish isn't bad but no way my primary language.

Source: Chasseur d'Images, issue n.315, july 2009.

06-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Got my copy of latest Chasseur d'Images preview.
I will put down here what I find interesting from the article. No, I will not translate the whole thing, wouldn't be correct, just what we did not know or anything else interesting.
  1. D-LI90 battery a lot more compact than D-LI50 but D-LI90 more powerful (1820mAh instead of 1620 mAh).
  2. Using viewfinder with eyeglass is totally possible although you need to press the glass against the eyepiece to view it all. Still, high-end viewfinder they say and brightness is good thanks to the prism.
  3. Focussing screen can of course be changed. Could be a bit better a smallest apertures but it allows a high level contrast, making it easy to notice the transition focussed/not focussed.
  4. Screen easily readable even when the camera is used in various positions usually making the screen difficult to read. Its high definition allows a powerfull zoom function for checking focussing state.
  5. They love the choice for Tungsten WB
  6. They love the histogram with blown highlights...
  7. They love auto horizon correction and sensor manual move, easier than toying with the tripod ballhead.
  8. 'The new user interface has seduced us [...] very efficient !' (buttons etc.)
  9. The electronic DOF preview, once used can be directly saved to the card if it suits the photographer, rather than having to take one more picture.

Everything else is known already, no point in stating them again.

Of course this is translated from french, so please take this into account, my enhlish isn't bad but no way my primary language.

Source: Chasseur d'Images, issue n.315, july 2009.
Thanks for the information! The last one (no. 9) is possible in my K20D too, I believe. But did CdA find any faults/drawbacks in the K-7? You mentioned not one single con.
06-27-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Thanks for the information! The last one (no. 9) is possible in my K20D too, I believe. But did CdA find any faults/drawbacks in the K-7? You mentioned not one single con.
Well usual ones we know about already:
  • no AF in Video
  • 1/180 X sync
  • No ratio in wireless flash mode
  • Not possible to use the fine framing function to correct a misaligned viewfinder
  • Slow Cd-AF
  • Green back illuminated LCD (they prefer orange)
  • bad effiency of Anti dust function

They like (on top of what I already wrote)
  • 100% prism
  • All lenses stabilized
  • rather light, well manufactured and compact body
  • WR including the kit lenses (and body)
  • Ergonomy (direct access buttons, chaning setting with wheel from the Info menu etc.)
  • Hi rez Screen
  • level displauy and level correction
  • Fine DR adjustment and HDR
  • HDMI
  • 21 fps mode could be useful
  • Digital preview can be saved
  • Good buffer and speedy fps
06-27-2009, 12:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

• Slow Cd-AF

Well I for one didn't know the anti dust function was not good.
I thought Pentax were quoting that as a major improvement, like CD-AF.

06-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Well I for one didn't know the anti dust function was not good.
I thought Pentax were quoting that as a major improvement, like CD-AF.
As well, but then they might just asume it is the same as K20.
06-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

• no AF in Video
  • 1/180 X sync
  • No ratio in wireless flash mode
  • Not possible to use the fine framing function to correct a misaligned viewfinder
  • Slow Cd-AF

They like (on top of what I already wrote)
  • 100% prism
  • All lenses stabilized
  • rather light, well manufactured and compact body
  • WR including the kit lenses (and body)
  • Ergonomy (direct access buttons, chaning setting with wheel from the Info menu etc.)
  • Hi rez Screen
  • level displauy and level correction
  • Fine DR adjustment and HDR
  • HDMI
  • 21 fps mode could be useful
  • Digital preview can be saved
  • Good buffer and speedy fps
I thought the K-7 does have AF in video, you just press the AF button.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K7/K7A.HTM
QuoteQuote:
It is possible to lock exposure during video capture if required, and unusually the Pentax K-7 offers the ability to explicitly specify the desired aperture prior to capture starting. Contrast detection autofocus is possible during video shooting, but is not continuous; rather the user must trigger the autofocus to operate when required, with the lens likely to briefly seek around the focus point before locking. Finally, the image stabilization functionality of the Pentax K-7 can be used during video capture. We elaborate on this a little more below under Pentax K7 Video Recording.

Last edited by SuperAkuma; 06-27-2009 at 02:09 PM.
06-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
I thought the K-7 does have AF in video, you just press the AF button.
Looks like it was removed from production FW.
06-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

• - bad effiency of Anti dust function
  • + 21 fps mode could be useful
  • + Digital preview can be saved
As well, but then they might just asume it is the same as K20.
Seems indeed that they copy-pasted some bits from their K20D review. I would have guessed that CdA does better

06-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

about the K20D's 21fps (@1536x1024) burst mode, it seems to be the precursor for K-7's 1080i video which is shot at 30fps (@ the same 1536x1024 resolution). The images are now bundled and linked with sound to produce the mov file.

I did a quick google check and it seems there are programs that can break up a mov video file into its composite jpegs which is indeed an extra step but is one way of 'shooting' 1.5MP images at 30fps.

Perhaps a firmware update could allow a 30fps or even 20fps burst mode at a more useful 2MP or 3MP would be very advantageous.
06-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
about the K20D's 21fps (@1536x1024) burst mode, it seems to be the precursor for K-7's 1080i video
Pete, you might be happier in looking at our "Quality of K-7 video thread" for all the glory details about this. And why such a firmware upgrade is impossible.

btw, quicktime (pro) allows you to save the .avi as a bunch of jpgs, one file per frame.
06-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
[LIST=1][*]D-LI90 battery a lot more compact than D-LI50 but D-LI90 more powerful (1820mAh instead of 1620 mAh).[*]...
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Seems indeed that they copy-pasted some bits from their K20D review. I would have guessed that CdA does better
Another thing is about the battery. When put K-7 battery (D-LI90) and K20D battery (D-LI50) side by side, the D-LI90 is just a little bit slimmer than D-LI50 (due to their different shapes), but slightly taller. I wouldn't say it's a lot more compact than D-LI50:

Last edited by frank; 06-28-2009 at 10:54 PM.
06-29-2009, 12:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Another thing is about the battery. When put K-7 battery (D-LI90) and K20D battery (D-LI50) side by side, the D-LI90 is just a little bit slimmer than D-LI50 (due to their different shapes), but slightly taller. I wouldn't say it's a lot more compact than D-LI50
That's what I thought based on previous comments.
Thank you for confirming that.
06-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks a lot, very interesting.

Could you elaborate on nr. 6 :
"They love the histogram with blown highlights..."

What is the improvement over K10/K20 here ?