Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DxO users and the K-7--time for us to start pounding on the door

DxO has already announced that they plan to offer support for the K-7, which is great news for all of us fans of DxO Optics Pro. But the question is how long will it take DxO to bring forth the camera RAW processing support as well as the camera/lens correction modules.

My understanding is that prioritization is at least in part linked to the number of requests that they receive for various camera and lens support modules. So now is the time to start nagging, begging and pleading with DxO to get working on the K-7 ASAP.

For those who are interested, go to this page and list the K7 with each of the individual lenses that you would like to see supported. It can't hurt, and it might help.

DXO - Simply better images

Non-DxO users should check this program out. It is the absolute king of RAW converters, especially with camera/lens specific correction modules.

Thanks,
Rob

06-28-2009, 05:33 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I heard when you install it, it puts a root kit or something similar and also in their website they say that you can get rid of it completely if you format your hard drive...

so nice program, but it behaves like a virus, isn't it?
06-28-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soalle Quote
I heard when you install it, it puts a root kit or something similar and also in their website they say that you can get rid of it completely if you format your hard drive...

so nice program, but it behaves like a virus, isn't it?
Glad someone else noticed. Pace interlock even loads (and is unremoveable) w/ the trial version....
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software-darkroo...ive-tried.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software-darkroo...ns-wanted.html
Many here seem to like DxO (which is not cheap BTW) but I need to warn you that it's antipiracy methods are unacceptable to .... err.... me...and are added to your system and NOT removed even with a trial version......
Does it still use PACE protection?: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review:
Does it still use PACE protection?: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
I think I'll pass. Previous versions of DXO used the PACE anti-copy system at its very most aggressive levels.

Many people, myself included, consider PACE to be essentially a rootkit, impairing your system permanently, and near impossible to remove fully. That's a lot to sacrifice for a software trial.

To be fair to DxO..........
http://help.dxo.com/faq/index.php?ac...035&artlang=en
though this, from the horses mouth, is a bit damning.......
If you format your hard disk or simply reinstall your system, there won't be any persistent Pace files.
Sounds fun huh........
I love sales talk...... what does that REALLY mean?
Pace has been used with Optics Pro version 3, version 4 and version 5. So far, no major issues have been reported.
so whats major?
Pace interlock is a terrible choice for anti-piracy software from a users point of view......
MAYBE DxO is only one of a few that we know of???
06-28-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
DxO has already announced that they plan to offer support for the K-7, which is great news for all of us fans of DxO Optics Pro. But the question is how long will it take DxO to bring forth the camera RAW processing support as well as the camera/lens correction modules.

My understanding is that prioritization is at least in part linked to the number of requests that they receive for various camera and lens support modules. So now is the time to start nagging, begging and pleading with DxO to get working on the K-7 ASAP.

For those who are interested, go to this page and list the K7 with each of the individual lenses that you would like to see supported. It can't hurt, and it might help.

DXO - Simply better images

Non-DxO users should check this program out. It is the absolute king of RAW converters, especially with camera/lens specific correction modules.

Thanks,
Rob
For those who are interested, DxO now supports K2000/K-m and K200D with the June 2009 update.

Here is their camera/lens supported list.

And here is their roadmap for their next update.

Last edited by jem; 06-28-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: sp
06-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Glad someone else noticed. Pace interlock even loads (and is unremoveable) w/ the trial version....
Jeff, some of the links you posted contain updated info and point to this message:

Pace also uses a Windows driver (the Pace Interlok driver) to implement software protection. Starting with DxO Optics Pro v5.1, this driver is no longer being used by DxO Optics Pro. This means absolutely no active or resident component runs on your system outside the DxO Optics Pro application. License management is now performed entirely within the DxO Optics Pro application.

[Source: DxO Labs]

I don't know if it is true. But if, then this no longer should be an issue, shoudn't it?
07-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
For those who are interested, DxO now supports K2000/K-m and K200D with the June 2009 update.

Here is their camera/lens supported list.

And here is their roadmap for their next update.
Given the excitement generated by the K-7, I think it is possible that DxO will begin to support it before the end of the year, but only if they get many requests for it.

Rob
07-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Is this software better than the in-camera K-7 RAW to TIF convertor? With in-camera cropping, CA, WB and other processes by a Pentax optimized conversion process, who needs computer RAW conversion software?
I know I'm a heretic, but seriously, how much does this software and a fast enough computer cost? Is it going to be THAT much better? I doubt it, unless the in-camera TIFs are only 8-bit. That would suck.

07-02-2009, 01:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
I doubt it, unless the in-camera TIFs are only 8-bit. That would suck.
Please, keep questions or opinions like this in the "Post Processing, Printing, Software, and Darkroom" forum. Or search there first for an answer. If it was a question, actually.

I think you are aware of the logical flaw in your thinking, i.e., requiring 16 Bit TIFs but dismissing computer-based post-processing.

To give an answer with actual value to the followers of this thread:

The TIFs created by K-7 in-camera raw conversion are 41.5 MB large uncompressed 8-Bit TIFF files.
07-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
Is this software better than the in-camera K-7 RAW to TIF convertor? With in-camera cropping, CA, WB and other processes by a Pentax optimized conversion process, who needs computer RAW conversion software?
I know I'm a heretic, but seriously, how much does this software and a fast enough computer cost? Is it going to be THAT much better? I doubt it, unless the in-camera TIFs are only 8-bit. That would suck.
Many of us prefer to do our own post-processing, and the best way to do that is with a RAW file, because it affords us the greatest creative latitude. If you would rather not bother, then you have no need for any RAW converter. Just take what the camera delivers, and be happy.

Rob
07-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...For those who are interested, go to this page and list the K7 with each of the individual lenses that you would like to see supported. It can't hurt, and it might help...
Done! Even if I don't plan on buying a K7.
07-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Jeff, some of the links you posted contain updated info and point to this message:

Pace also uses a Windows driver (the Pace Interlok driver) to implement software protection. Starting with DxO Optics Pro v5.1, this driver is no longer being used by DxO Optics Pro. This means absolutely no active or resident component runs on your system outside the DxO Optics Pro application. License management is now performed entirely within the DxO Optics Pro application.

[Source: DxO Labs]

I don't know if it is true. But if, then this no longer should be an issue, shoudn't it?
Sorry.. to get rid of it you still have to format your HD or reinstall an OS.. unacceptable...
. If you format your hard disk or simply reinstall your system, there won't be any persistent Pace files. This means you'll be able to use the demo version again and it also means you must transfer your licenses prior to reinstalling your system (this can be done easily in the application using the license transfer function).
I fail to see anything saying it's "better"............
There still trying to sugar coat a pig...........
EDIT: A way to remove it w/ out formatting.........
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/67909965/m/890004722931

Last edited by jeffkrol; 07-02-2009 at 02:37 PM.
07-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Done! Even if I don't plan on buying a K7.
Thanks, Bart.

Rob
07-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Sorry.. to get rid of it you still have to format your HD or reinstall an OS.. unacceptable...
. If you format your hard disk or simply reinstall your system, there won't be any persistent Pace files. This means you'll be able to use the demo version again and it also means you must transfer your licenses prior to reinstalling your system (this can be done easily in the application using the license transfer function).
I fail to see anything saying it's "better"............
There still trying to sugar coat a pig...........
EDIT: A way to remove it w/ out formatting.........
DXO Warning!!! Trial software and Interlok software - PSA - Topic Powered by Eve For Enterprise
Pace seems like a non-issue. What I care about is having the best damn RAW conversion program to use on my images, and as far as I am concerned, DxO Optics Pro is it.

Rob
07-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
jem

Pace seems like a non-issue. What I care about is having the best damn RAW conversion program to use on my images, and as far as I am concerned, DxO Optics Pro is it.

Rob
Agreed - I find it quite useful.
07-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes, everyone pls try to get DXO Optics to include the K7!

Then they will be able to give the K7 a DXOMARK score, and I can then update my graph (below) on DSLR high-ISO performance. I am very keen to see if there have been any improvements over the K20D:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/63597-k7-high-iso-...mpetitive.html