Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2009, 12:36 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good news Samsung wouldproduce something different and not a simple rebadge.

As for the differences, not many. Double slot is nice, wifi is gimmick, GPS is OK (debatable), bigger body is nice (for choice, I don't care myself), movable screen is nice for those who care.The rest is gimmick.

I do not beleive any second that AF would be faster on the Samsung: maybe CDAF but phase AF, no way.

We will know soon.

06-29-2009, 12:44 AM   #47
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Good news Samsung wouldproduce something different and not a simple rebadge.

As for the differences, not many. Double slot is nice, wifi is gimmick, GPS is OK (debatable), bigger body is nice (for choice, I don't care myself), movable screen is nice for those who care.The rest is gimmick.
these are not gimmick at all.

4 fps with 24 DNG
Flash Sync 1/250
3”Intelligent AMOLED 800*600 display
Lithium Ion battery SLB-2000 - GX10 and GX20 compatible
06-29-2009, 12:48 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
these are not gimmick at all.

4 fps with 24 DNG
Flash Sync 1/250
3”Intelligent AMOLED 800*600 display
Lithium Ion battery SLB-2000 - GX10 and GX20 compatible
Well, each to is own.
06-29-2009, 01:36 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Having properly read the alleged features of the "K-7 killer" I believe the only thing being killed in a short while will be the rumour about this mythical beast called GX30.

Don't see it happening. Something really close to the K-7, yes, but not this feature and spec laden monster.

06-29-2009, 02:40 AM   #50
Veteran Member

My opinion is these are the dream specs for K-7.
06-29-2009, 03:04 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
It would be very interesting and I think a good thing if Samsung finally released a dslr that wasnt just a rebadged Pentax. Double SD card slots would be very cool.
How do you know that this is not a rebadged K30D, except that Samsung leaked before Pentax this time?

QuoteOriginally posted by Jazzyboy Quote
If Pentax doesn't feel ready for a FF, who would produce the lenses for
the Samsung FF ?
That is a very good question.

Any manufacturer. Tokina, Sigma, Cosina.

Samsung can make lenses itself - optical scheme from Schneider/Pentax, component objects - from Scheider/Hoya or oem manufacturer, assembly - Samsung.
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
SAMSUNG itself. they need a lens of their own if they want to compete in the dslr market. it's same with CPUs. they don't just build processors but also a motherboard that it would fit into.
Up to now there is no evidence that Samsung can produce an DSLR lens by themself. Forget Sneider, that is just a German name they put on the lens to make them sound sexy (and the real Sneider gets paid for this). All Samsung DSLR lenses so far are made by Pentax and in optical design etc identical to the Pentax lenses except some cosmetic details. As for the NX, it is still in the dark what lenses Samsung will put on that camera (they can't just pay Pentax to relabed Pentax lenses because the registration distance is so different).

So I believe that if this camera exist for real, it will be again the twin of another Pentax body, and I don't mean the K-7.
06-29-2009, 03:12 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jazzyboy Quote
If Pentax doesn't feel ready for a FF, who would produce the lenses for
the Samsung FF ?
Well... Samsung?

Aren't they developing a lineup for their NX cameras?

06-29-2009, 03:16 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
I'd be surprised if OLED technology has reached the point where color shift doesn't occur over time due to the different lifetimes of the polymers making up each color (RGB). For a color-essential application like photography, it doesn't make much sense...
What's the timeframe for this color shift to happen?

I have read somewhere that the lifespan of an oled device was superior to 5 years of 8 hours/day useage which would make it hardly a problem for camera usage but I am no expert.
06-29-2009, 03:19 AM   #54
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote

So I believe that if this camera exist for real, it will be again the twin of another Pentax body, and I don't mean the K-7.
Samsung has share fraction in Schneider.
Then, I don't see any problems at all. To order optical schemes and make at Samsung's factory.

Samsung declares that they will build lenses for NX system. Or already done some.
06-29-2009, 03:23 AM   #55
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
What's the timeframe for this color shift to happen?

I have read somewhere that the lifespan of an oled device was superior to 5 years of 8 hours/day useage which would make it hardly a problem for camera usage but I am no expert.
It's OLD info. New generation of AMOLED has longer life time.
Anyway - 14 600 hours is not short. I can't imagine how I can use camera every day per 8 hours for 5 years.
I've made 6783 shots for 14 months.

Last edited by ogl; 06-29-2009 at 03:30 AM.
06-29-2009, 03:50 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
that is not a good move by Samsung if that rumor is true. just not unique enough and convince people to choose Samsung over Pentax. Samsung should make an affordable FF dslr if they want to compete against Pentax and other dSLRs.
Why bother making an FF DSLR when Pentax isn't making much FF lenses anymore? I certainly hope we won't have to discuss once again about how *some* DA lenses will work on FF. The point is, it's not made for FF (and outside bashers will certainly point that out) and it will create confusion.

Until such time Samsung has found another mount or made their own FF mount, they have to stick to APS-C size with their DSLRs since that's where Pentax is.

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
Sounds nice, but it will probably be more expensive.
Choice is good.
Misleading thread title.
I'm not so sure about that. The GX20 was announced by Samsung to be much cheaper than it's sibling K20D, but Pentax put pressure on them to raise their price, so if anything, it's Pentax who's interested in putting high price tags on their cameras, not Samsung.
06-29-2009, 03:58 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Samsung has share fraction in Schneider.
Then, I don't see any problems at all. To order optical schemes and make at Samsung's factory.

Samsung declares that they will build lenses for NX system. Or already done some.
Well, so far all NX lenses I've seen has been without any text on them, suspiciously empty black surfaces.

You make it look very simple to make a factory for lenses. What do you mean with "order"? To order someone to develop them? Or to buy them...from where? Sneiders own SLR lens designs are very old ones, and again for totally different registration distances, and today they don't make any DSLR lenses. So Samsung/Sneider will have to develop new lens designs from scratch (or buy the right to use someone elses designs), they will have to build up the production line in a factory, and they will have to hire qualified crew for this work, and this for a multitude of lenses at the same time...now perhaps both for the NX and the GX30. I don't think that is soo easy. The existense of the NX plans (and the need to provide it with lenses) even makes it more likely that they will continue to depend on Pentax for lenses to a hypotetical GX30.
06-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Well, so far all NX lenses I've seen has been without any text on them, suspiciously empty black surfaces.

You make it look very simple to make a factory for lenses. What do you mean with "order"? To order someone to develop them? Or to buy them...from where? Sneiders own SLR lens designs are very old ones, and again for totally different registration distances, and today they don't make any DSLR lenses. So Samsung/Sneider will have to develop new lens designs from scratch (or buy the right to use someone elses designs), they will have to build up the production line in a factory, and they will have to hire qualified crew for this work, and this for a multitude of lenses at the same time...now perhaps both for the NX and the GX30. I don't think that is soo easy.
Samsung have been pretty clear that they will produce the lenses for the NX by themselves so it seems that they have already done that to some extent.
06-29-2009, 05:35 AM   #59
Banned

You make it look very simple to make a factory for lenses. What do you mean with "order"? To order someone to develop them? Or to buy them...from where? Sneiders own SLR lens designs are very old ones, and again for totally different registration distances, and today they don't make any DSLR lenses. So Samsung/Sneider will have to develop new lens designs from scratch (or buy the right to use someone elses designs), they will have to build up the production line in a factory, and they will have to hire qualified crew for this work, and this for a multitude of lenses at the same time...now perhaps both for the NX and the GX30. I don't think that is soo easy. The existense of the NX plans (and the need to provide it with lenses) even makes it more likely that they will continue to depend on Pentax for lenses to a hypotetical GX30.
Read, please, PMA interview
PMA Interview: Samsung: Digital Photography Review
06-29-2009, 05:36 AM   #60
Banned

Read, please, PMA interview

PMA Interview: Samsung: Digital Photography Review