Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2009, 05:46 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
My opinion is these are the dream specs for K-7.
They do come very close to all the rumored specs of the K-7 that wre NOT true..

06-29-2009, 05:49 AM   #62
Veteran Member

GPS and PBase??

GPS would be very nice but in some circumstances you have to wat for multiple satelites to contact you camera in order to get good data.
Also, GPS if you shoot under cover of trees GPSc an have difficulties to achieve a "hit.
Now, on PBase I can select where I have taken a picture and add though a map the exact location. Works fine with me.
Ofcourse I am one of the few who can still read maps and interprete areal photography.
06-29-2009, 06:06 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
the gestalt just won't be there
+1
What a nice expression.

I think that a plot is thickening here. Rumors are consistent with earlier rumors about GX30 and NX and I actually anticipated the AMOLED rumor/spec on the rear screen.

If all is true, interesting things to note:

From K20D:
- gestalt (IMHO a lot less sexy than K-7)

From NX/K-7:
- the 4 channel 14.6 MP sensor with 1536x1024 30fps subsampled feed

From NX:
- AMOLED rear display

New:
- 6fps, 1/250X capable shutter/mirror
- magnesium alloy version of K20D-alike housing
- f/5.6+2.8 center AF sensor
- (gps, wifi, dual slot, CAF in video not worth to mention)

The list under 'new' makes me suspicious though. None of the three should have been high on a Samsung list when making an NX. But maybe, a new shutter was obtained third party. And the larger, heavier GX30 can incorporate a 6fps shutter whereas K-7 was fine-tuned to balance size and features and went with its very quiet 5.2 fps shutter.

Assumig the rumor holds true, then I think:
  • GX30 is a nice complimentary offer to K-7
  • less sexy and w/o the gestalt
  • with some little extras
GX30 would be for people buying from a spec sheet and K-7 for people buying from the feel of it.

Last edited by falconeye; 06-29-2009 at 06:19 AM.
06-29-2009, 06:08 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
(on my observation that they couldn't likely fit all that new stuff in basically a K20d style body)

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
A lot of Pentaxian like the weight and size of K10D/K20D's body.
I surely do, myself. I was kind of hoping Pentax would keep the K20 chassis for something, myself.

But. If you have this rumored 'GX30' which is almost but not quite the same size as the GX20, there's a problem: this rumor claims they've basically taken a lot of the K-7, but kept the body of the GX-20, with a bigger battery, put in a bigger shutter unit to get that synch speed, added the radio and such for wifi, antennas for GPS, shoehorned in an extra SD card and added what'd probably have to be that funky prism without making the body deeper, *and* making it a hair less tall...

Then to top it all off, put in a huge articulating screen without increasing the thickness of the body.

*All that* just doesn't add up, to me. If Samsung comes up with a nice alternative, that's great, but I wouldn't trust the rumor.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-29-2009 at 06:18 AM.
06-29-2009, 06:15 AM   #65
wll
Veteran Member

I for one want to see the new Samsung, the Wi-Fi, duel slot SD card, and the tilt and swivel display are awesome.

wll
06-29-2009, 06:32 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
But maybe, a new shutter was obtained third party.
aren't all shutters in Pentax from 3rd parties anyways are they ? something from Copal... like all glass comes from 2-3 companies (hoya, schott, etc)
06-29-2009, 06:40 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Any manufacturer. Tokina, Sigma, Cosina.

Samsung can make lenses itself - optical scheme from Schneider/Pentax, component objects - from Scheider/Hoya or oem manufacturer, assembly - Samsung.
Samsung might not be that concerned w/ have their own in house manufactured lenses and Tamron is known to make lenses to be resold under other names... like Promaster for example... and between Tamron and Sigma they have all necessary FF lenses right now....

06-29-2009, 06:42 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Assumig the rumor holds true, then I think:
  • GX30 is a nice complimentary offer to K-7
w/ those specs it is K-7 which looks like a nice complimentary offer to GX30, not vice versa...
06-29-2009, 06:42 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soalle Quote
I would be curious to know what does "double cross sensor" actually means....
I think that means that the sensor is a back stabbing, slender, red headed woman.
At least, that is what we called them in the late 1930's.

Kidding.
06-29-2009, 06:55 AM   #70
Veteran Member

A lot of Pentaxian like the weight and size of K10D/K20D's body.
I think, Matt, that whoever fabricated this rumor wanted to imply Samsung 'double-crossed' Pentax by trumping them with a K30 design or something.

But especially since this rumor mysteriously-appeared right when the K-7's hitting the market, I think it's more likely we're looking at a little disinformation campaign to try and make people keep waiting for things that won't happen.

While it's quite possible that Pentax handed Samsung one of their design concepts, I just don't think one can get over the fact that the dimensions don't add up.
06-29-2009, 06:57 AM   #71
Veteran Member

I really don't get all the "I don't want a camera with SAMSUNG written on it!!" comments, but aside from that, I don't really see this camera being true, unless it marks the end of Samsung and Pentax's partnership.
06-29-2009, 07:21 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
w/ those specs it is K-7 which looks like a nice complimentary offer to GX30, not vice versa...
true for those wanting a nikon with K-mount.
for those wanting true Pentax spirit, K-7 is way better camera, i would say.
:P
06-29-2009, 07:21 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I think that means that the sensor is a back stabbing, slender, red headed woman.
At least, that is what we called them in the late 1930's.

Kidding.
That was funny.
06-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I really don't get all the "I don't want a camera with SAMSUNG written on it!!" comments, but aside from that, I don't really see this camera being true, unless it marks the end of Samsung and Pentax's partnership.
Actually, it seems pretty unlikely as such an end, even if you took the rumor at face value: it'd have to be some K30d concept Pentax wasn't pursuing.

That said, I do wish Samsung would name their camera marque already, ...for how little it's worth: it's not like it'd actually stop me if they were making the right cameras for me, but I'd rather see something more classy on the prism housing than the name of a VCR.

Sony ought to just put the name Alpha up there, Lumix (And I do have positive associations with Panasonic products) actually works pretty well, cool and a bit retro without just buying an old name, and I think Samsung ought to come up with something if they want to build up some recognition as camera-makers. I'm sure they're very proud of their corporate name, but I don't think it 'works' if they want enthusiasm about their stuff.
06-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Why won't the GX30 get rebadged as the K30, since Pentax has said from the beginning that the K-7 was not meant to be its replacement.