Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Why won't the GX30 get rebadged as the K30, since Pentax has said from the beginning that the K-7 was not meant to be its replacement.
An employee of Pentax in Colorado was kind enough to spend some time on this forum recently. You should read his posts.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/61649-there-will-no-k30.html

06-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #92

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hey everyone. I am not a troll! It just happens to be that I visit Pentax Forums and the Pentax dslr forum in the DP review website. I posted up the same news to both of these forums because the two seem to be the most respectable. I do not want in any way to see the Pentax brand suffer. I really dislike Canon and Nikon and think that most people who buy their entry level dslrs only buy so because they're ignorant and don't see how much more they can get with a Pentax dslr.

Sorry everyone if I caused any unneccessary irritation.

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Exact duplicate TROLL POST of DPReview.

And I am equally amazed that so many people here fell for it.

This person compiled the exact list of all the things people complained about when the K7 was released and started a stupid rumour on several fora simultaneously.

Yes there will be a GX30 based on the GX20 (already more or less annouced) and it will probably compete more with Sony than with Pentax. It will NOT compete directly with the K7 nor will it have many of the K7s features but it may well have a moveable LCD and movies. It will be a lot more like the K20 replacement that Pentax dropped early on and possibly offered to Samsung.
06-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by swhang Quote
Hey everyone. I am not a troll! It just happens to be that I visit Pentax Forums and the Pentax dslr forum in the DP review website. .
not to worry, that old brit just forgot to take his painkillers... he just doesn't understand that people can have some fun w/ rumors.
06-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
this is "Pentax News and Rumors" sections, we do not need your stupid lectures here about trolling.
We dont need you for anything at all frankly. If you left I'm sure this place would be a lot MORE fun, not to mention intelligent.

Last edited by *isteve; 06-29-2009 at 11:50 AM.
06-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by swhang Quote
Hey everyone. I am not a troll! It just happens to be that I visit Pentax Forums and the Pentax dslr forum in the DP review website. I posted up the same news to both of these forums because the two seem to be the most respectable. I do not want in any way to see the Pentax brand suffer. I really dislike Canon and Nikon and think that most people who buy their entry level dslrs only buy so because they're ignorant and don't see how much more they can get with a Pentax dslr.

Sorry everyone if I caused any unneccessary irritation.
Your first post in both forums? Title "Pentax K7 killer" on the day it starts shipping?

Sorry if I sound a bit sceptical.

Actually, more than a bit. Pull the other one.

Last edited by *isteve; 06-29-2009 at 11:33 AM.
06-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
not to worry, that old brit just forgot to take his painkillers... he just doesn't understand that people can have some fun w/ rumors.
Don't think hostility is accepted in this forum... O_O
06-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Don't think hostility is accepted in this forum... O_O
Maybe not but it happens a lot. Sadly.
06-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #98
Veteran Member

GPS - good for an outdoor photography (and if there is a compass - direction info included that is a double plus) - imagine a web gallery where you can link your photo with google maps functionality.

WiFi - wireless tethering (remote operation) and files downloading w/ cables...

that GPS use sounds more like a gimmick and see no practical use for it unless you are on the outdoors hiking and only solely relying on your dslr as a map guide. not to mention that it also consumes the battery that you will use for your camera for photography and video.

Wifi functionality - unless the GX-30 is a portable PALM TOP in itself, I find this feature of minimal use or no use at all. you will still need a laptop/netbook and you will always have memory cards for you to transfer your files to your laptop. that's exactly the reason why SD/SDHC cards are created and used for.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 06-29-2009 at 12:19 PM.
06-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
that GPS use sounds more like a gimmick and see no practical use for it unless you are on the outdoors hiking and only solely relying on your dslr as a map guide. not to mention that it also consumes the battery that you will use your camera for photography and video.

Wifi functionality - unless the GX-30 is a portable PALM TOP in itself, I find this feature of minimal use or no use at all. you will still need a laptop/netbook and you will always have memory cards for you to transfer your files to your laptop. that's exactly the reason why SD/SDHC cards are created and used for.
Both features will also reduce battery life by a large amount, which is why on Canon and Nikon they are powered accessories not built it. That plus issues with radio interference.

25365 Nikon WT-4A Wireless Transmitter for Nikon D3 and D300 Digital SLR Camera

Check the price as well.
06-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While sometimes there is a fine line between trolling and rumors, we certainly don't need to be rude to other members of the forums.
06-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Why would you want a GPS and Wi-Fi on your camera? I guess it's great if it's there so I'm not knocking it, I'm just a bit mystified. Probably showing my age since I don't do the iPod thing either. Those headphones sound terrible.

As for the dual slot, that's a good idea.
The only thing I could think of GPS being useful would be geotagging images. While it would be a nice bonus I certainly wouldn't miss it .
06-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Both features will also reduce battery life by a large amount, which is why on Canon and Nikon they are powered accessories not built it. That plus issues with radio interference.

25365 Nikon WT-4A Wireless Transmitter for Nikon D3 and D300 Digital SLR Camera

Check the price as well.
actually that's one major concern about having those two features. certainly GPS capability would decrease battery life and would hinder photo productivity. the WIFI feature is even worse when it comes to battery consumption.
06-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #103
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
The only thing I could think of GPS being useful would be geotagging images. While it would be a nice bonus I certainly wouldn't miss it .
Yep, but I changed my mind about built-in GPS. IMO a well done GPS logger can be a whole lot more flexible and will not prevent the use of the camera if its batteries are depleted.

Smart GPS logger use SD cards (not mandatory to use USB wire), standard GPS log file format (GPX can be used for open format for conversions purposes), will provide Bluetooth connectivity (allowing its use as a GPS receiver for phones/notebooks).

So I'd chose flexibility, personaly but of course everybody will have his/her take on that subject (fortunately).
06-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
that GPS use sounds more like a gimmick and see no practical use for it unless you are on the outdoors hiking and only solely relying on your dslr as a map guide. not to mention that it also consumes the battery that you will use for your camera for photography and video.

WiFi function will not limit to just wireless data transfer. Infact, you could probably

adjust aperture , shutterspeed, ISO, etc. from the computer and take a picture from your computer as well. Also while the GPS doesn't seem to have any practical use, it can be helpful for locating exactly where you took certain pictures so that you can reccomend your friends to the exact GPS location (or for copyright purposes). Just my thoughts and I am not too sure on its functionality. Be creative? Of course the camera looks pretty nice and I am sure a lot of people will consider it.
06-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #105
Veteran Member

I didn't think of this but who knows, GPS could come in handy if the camera is ever lost or stolen.