Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very interesting sounding specs. Definately more in line with my requirements and what I expected from Pentax rather than the K7. I'll keep an eye out to see if Pentax just has their version under tighter wraps than Samsung. If not, there might just be a Samsung in my near future..

And who knows, Samsung might even be willing to send stuff for folks to review/play with to the next East Coast Pentaxian/Samsungian Gathering.

Mike

06-29-2009, 01:42 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
I'd be surprised if OLED technology has reached the point where color shift doesn't occur over time due to the different lifetimes of the polymers making up each color (RGB). For a color-essential application like photography, it doesn't make much sense...
Not really relevant to photography. The OLED screen is on only for a fraction of the time a TV or monitor is, therefore the fade will not occur for many many years, the other components will be dead long before that.
06-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Well, brand loyalty is one thing and Pentax usually has had firmware support.
I'd go with Pentax anytime rather than be stuck with a camera that has Samsung on it and no support whatsoever.
K7 already gave us most of what we had wished for..and i'd be happy with that for the meantime rather than always wishing and shooting for who comes out with the best (of what you think).
Plus Pentax already has a lot of compatible lenses so, I'll never probably bother with Samsung whatever they come up with.
06-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #109
Veteran Member

If the rumors are true (I believe they are not) then we have in one corner. The rugged outdorsmen. suitable for shooting anywhere. And in the other the rugged studio camera, high quality LED, articulating screen (good for waist hight shooting) Wifi, higher sync speed.
If this is true then it suddenly makes the whole K system a whole lot more interesting for outsiders. It the NX is also K compatible via adapter then we have possibly the most fututeproof system......when the FF body arrives. with finally two real manufacturers fghting for it. Unlike Panny and Oly, having the versatility of a micro mount, all the way up to MF will be a real cool thing (I am under no illusion that the 645 system has anything to do with K mount..... its just cool )

06-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Well, brand loyalty is one thing and Pentax usually has had firmware support.
I'd go with Pentax anytime rather than be stuck with a camera that has Samsung on it and no support whatsoever.
K7 already gave us most of what we had wished for..and i'd be happy with that for the meantime rather than always wishing and shooting for who comes out with the best (of what you think).
Plus Pentax already has a lot of compatible lenses so, I'll never probably bother with Samsung whatever they come up with.
Sounds something a CaNikon would say. I wouldn't care what a few letters would say on the front, but rather let the images talk. Some people might appreciate the extra FPS and other features
06-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #111
Veteran Member

It will be interesting to see what samsung does in regards to lenses. Will they start manufacturing their own k-mount, or rely on re-badged hoya? I'm happy that Samsung is into k-mount. I could see myself combining a K-7 with either a Samsung NX or full frame!
06-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Sounds something a CaNikon would say. I wouldn't care what a few letters would say on the front, but rather let the images talk. Some people might appreciate the extra FPS and other features
Agreed entirely. I think it's funny when Pentax users bitch and moan about Canon/Nikon owners choosing brand name over quality and then turn around and do the same thing to another brand (even when it's a theoretical).

06-29-2009, 07:26 PM   #113
Pentaxian

i call bullshit. If this was true it would mean Samsung has developed an entirely new body, independent of Pentax. unlikely
06-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #114

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
(on my observation that they couldn't likely fit all that new stuff in basically a K20d style body)

I surely do, myself. I was kind of hoping Pentax would keep the K20 chassis for something, myself.

But. If you have this rumored 'GX30' which is almost but not quite the same size as the GX20, there's a problem: this rumor claims they've basically taken a lot of the K-7, but kept the body of the GX-20, with a bigger battery, put in a bigger shutter unit to get that synch speed, added the radio and such for wifi, antennas for GPS, shoehorned in an extra SD card and added what'd probably have to be that funky prism without making the body deeper, *and* making it a hair less tall...

Then to top it all off, put in a huge articulating screen without increasing the thickness of the body.

*All that* just doesn't add up, to me. If Samsung comes up with a nice alternative, that's great, but I wouldn't trust the rumor.
I'd definitely buy this mythical Samsung body over the Pentax if it had all these promised functions, but I agree with this post, there is no way that stuff can be shoved into a body of the same size.

Just the articulating screen alone requires a massive re-work of the body.

This is just a wishlist.
06-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #115

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
i call bullshit. If this was true it would mean Samsung has developed an entirely new body, independent of Pentax. unlikely
they did it for the NX so why they shouldn't for the GX-30?
06-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #116
Pentaxian

I dunno...the Samsung GX '30' is physically bigger than the K7 and has two slots, etc...aw c'mon.

It will be the twin of the K-7...can't imagine it will be a bit bigger in size ???

Someone is having a wee bit of fun.
06-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #117
Inactive Account

Generic Headphones

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I don't do the iPod thing either. Those headphones sound terrible.
The first thing you do is throw out the headphones. My iPod headphones cost more than my iPod. Do you use the kit lens, or a DA *? Same thing. but, the kit lens is way better than those awful iPod headphones.
06-30-2009, 01:54 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soalle Quote
they did it for the NX so why they shouldn't for the GX-30?
Why not???
Why not two systems like Oly does???

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I dunno...the Samsung GX '30' is physically bigger than the K7 and has two slots, etc...aw c'mon.

It will be the twin of the K-7...can't imagine it will be a bit bigger in size ???

Someone is having a wee bit of fun.
There are no images yet of the GX30 so we know nothing about size except that at least I expect it to be bigger due to the swivvelscreen and dual slot, if those appear.

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I think this rumor is just as likely as this being a joint development with Pentax as well. Yes, it may be that yet again Samsung and Pentax join up in a model.
That would make it even more plausible for Samsung to have this camera besides their NX. As Pentax is now marketing the K-7 it is not impossible for them to allow Samsung to break the news of this new camera. Unlikely but not more unlikely than the original rumor...

If Pentax managed to cramm all they have crammed in the K-7, a K20D body surely will be able to hold a dual card slot and an articulating screen.

But, in one week we will know.
06-30-2009, 01:58 AM   #119

Somewhat unlikely.. these specs.

In Germany the photo-dealers (..at least one of them) say that Samsung Germany itself never heard of a camera with such specs.. hmm. Before the whole rumour came up, the usual statement you got from the dealers was: " SAMSUNG quits DSLR business alltogether.. and concentrate on their NX effort".
06-30-2009, 01:59 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Actually the K-7 and other Pentax DSLR's can be said to have 9 simple cross and one center double cross sensor, plus two outer linear sensors. So just don't assume that the Samsung has a different AF system. Sounds very much like sort of misinterpretation.

Please let me explain.

On Pentax DSLR's, only the middle sensor is a real cross. A +
Now, the others are called cross but they are not really cross, but they are dual sensitive sensors but not shaped like cross. So they are of a simpler design that the center sensor which is a true cross.

The 4 outer sensors are L-shaped, and the 4 in-between hare T-shaped. Yes, shaped like L and T. As you can see, L and T covers both vertical and horisontal lines, without being a +.

L and T can very well be called "simple cross" because they actually are, or at least they are dual sensitive. And the center can be called "double cross" because the lines are crossing each other, and two lines crossing = double.

The lines in L and T are not crossing, they are just connecting on one single or simple height.

Nothing in the rumour says a center sensor with f/2.8 - f/5.6 sensitivity.
So, if you replace the number 10 in the specification with a 9 - you get a working description of the AF in the K-7!

Oh dear oh dear. It is like a baloon, raising up high and then POFF!
Sorry about that folks, I understand it was nice for you to dream a bit haha.

As for "ultra clear screen" - well Pentax calls it the Natural Bright Matte.
Of course Samsung wants their own names for Pentax-things.
Samsung calls Pentax SR for Samsung OIS. Same thing, but a different name.
OIS = Optical image stabilisation. Not even a correct name, because it is sensor shift and not done through optics!

Last edited by RMabo; 06-30-2009 at 02:13 AM.