Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2009, 02:01 AM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
So I believe that if this camera exist for real, it will be again the twin of another Pentax body, and I don't mean the K-7.
Nope.
Samsung has said for years that their intention is to have their own external design and differentiate themselves more from Pentax. So far they haven't delivered this, but it should be about time now.

06-30-2009, 02:08 AM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Why won't the GX30 get rebadged as the K30, since Pentax has said from the beginning that the K-7 was not meant to be its replacement.
Pentax has not said that the K-7 was not meant to be it's replacement.
That is a missunderstanding.

It is official from Pentax that the K-7 was meant to be the K20D replacement, and it was called K30D internally. But then, Pentax decided to upgrade the specs and aiming above the K20D and the K20D replacement and changing design so much that the name K30D was no longer suitable, so they decided to call it the K-7 instead.

Then Pentax said that there won't be a true replacement of the K20D, because that design evolved into the K-7 of today which is aimed higher. The K-7 is a different design.

The rumoured GX-30 looks like it aims even higher than the K-7 which itself aims higher than the K20D replacement, so GX-30 therefore can not possible be cloned by Pentax into a "K20D replacement". It can not possibly sell for lower price for the market below the K-7.

If the GX-30 does happen, I would be surprised if it isn't more expensive than Nikon D300 and more in line with the Olympus E-3 price which is close to the Canon 5DII.
06-30-2009, 02:37 AM   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
L and T can very well be called "simple cross" because they actually are, or at least they are dual sensitive. And the center can be called "double cross" because the lines are crossing each other, and two lines crossing = double.
No, two lines crossing makes one cross, not a double cross. Not even marketing can get away with something like that.
06-30-2009, 03:43 AM   #124
Veteran Member

"The first thing you do is throw out the headphones."

I was just kidding. But I really don't like headphones. I have a good pair of Canton Speakers and an NAD amp. I mostly listen to acoustic jazz. That really doesn't play well on headphones. Plus I'd probably trip and kill myself if I was walking and listenig to music at the same time.

Anyway, I'm not much of a tech person. I'm perfectly happy with the K7 specifications. I can see where the dual card slot would be a benefit for me. I like shooting the smaller 4 GB cards for personal reasons. So that would be nice.

And no I don't use the kit lens. I really don't like zoom lenses. I have two. The kit lens and a Sigma 10-20. Once I get the DA 15mm I will probably give the Sigma to my friend I gave my K100 to.

That said, from what was described, I think that will be a big seller, depending on the price and if they market it right. It's really hard to be Cannon or Nikon on anything with there marketing though.

The downside is if more people use that camera the old Pentax lenses will cost more on Ebay. That doesn't make me happy.

06-30-2009, 03:57 AM   #125

Photos: Gallery
Well I think this "Samsung" is the other Pentax camera that was due to be released before the end of the year.
Maybe Samsung are out to beat Pentax at the free publicity from a leaky launch.
06-30-2009, 04:23 AM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
The first thing you do is throw out the headphones. My iPod headphones cost more than my iPod. Do you use the kit lens, or a DA *? Same thing. but, the kit lens is way better than those awful iPod headphones.
You can listen to music with the kit lens? Do you need two? Aren't they a bit bulky?

NaCl(not sure I want to ride on a crowded subway with two kit lenses clamped to my ears)H2O
06-30-2009, 06:09 AM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
No, two lines crossing makes one cross, not a double cross. Not even marketing can get away with something like that.
+1
Yes, shaped like L and T.
All 9 cross sensors have arms of equal length, they just don't all cross in the middle. This is a feature to avoid gaps between sensors. The center AF sensor isn't "better" than the rest.

A "double cross AF sensor" is a well defined term for a cross sensor with a second cross working at f/2.8 only. You wouldn't use the term if you don't mean it.

But then again, it is all rumors

06-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
aren't all shutters in Pentax from 3rd parties anyways are they ? something from Copal... like all glass comes from 2-3 companies (hoya, schott, etc)
Pentax, Konica and Mamya colaborated on a new generation of shutters in the late 50's early 60's, which somehow led to the first Copal square I shutter in 1961. Initially these three companies had monopoly on the use of the copal shutters, allthough the Nikon F has the Copal square I because it was built by Mamaya. Copal doesn't have monopoly, but they have kept on dominating the market and made shutters for basically every brand (besides the original three companies: Nikon, Yashica, Leica, Canon, Minolta, Sigma, Ricoh, Exacta, Cosina...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
(on my observation that they couldn't likely fit all that new stuff in basically a K20d style body)

I surely do, myself. I was kind of hoping Pentax would keep the K20 chassis for something, myself.

But. If you have this rumored 'GX30' which is almost but not quite the same size as the GX20, there's a problem: this rumor claims they've basically taken a lot of the K-7, but kept the body of the GX-20, with a bigger battery, put in a bigger shutter unit to get that synch speed, added the radio and such for wifi, antennas for GPS, shoehorned in an extra SD card and added what'd probably have to be that funky prism without making the body deeper, *and* making it a hair less tall...

Then to top it all off, put in a huge articulating screen without increasing the thickness of the body.

*All that* just doesn't add up, to me. If Samsung comes up with a nice alternative, that's great, but I wouldn't trust the rumor.
I think, Matt, that whoever fabricated this rumor wanted to imply Samsung 'double-crossed' Pentax by trumping them with a K30 design or something.

But especially since this rumor mysteriously-appeared right when the K-7's hitting the market, I think it's more likely we're looking at a little disinformation campaign to try and make people keep waiting for things that won't happen.

While it's quite possible that Pentax handed Samsung one of their design concepts, I just don't think one can get over the fact that the dimensions don't add up.
I tend to agree. How do they get all this in the same body as K20D? Howcome Pentax let Samsung use so much from the K10D/K20D and the K-7 to a purely Samsung model. Was that the price to be allowed to use the same upgraded K20D sensor in the K-7 as in the NX? Pretty high price I would think. It is far more likely that this is either a fake, or a leak on the Samsung version of a Pentax K30D.

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I really don't get all the "I don't want a camera with SAMSUNG written on it!!" comments, but aside from that, I don't really see this camera being true, unless it marks the end of Samsung and Pentax's partnership.
I don't mind the name Samsung itself, but it worries me if there would be a Samsung GX30 instead of a Pentax K30(D) since the Samsung cameras have had very hard to sell on most markets.

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Why won't the GX30 get rebadged as the K30, since Pentax has said from the beginning that the K-7 was not meant to be its replacement.
I believe we will see both a GX30 and K30 (or with a different name since Pentax seams to be a bit more creative about the name).
06-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I believe we will see both a GX30 and K30
As was said already, according to JCPentax, K-7 started out as K30D and was renamed. If another flagship model is coming along for Pentax, then it will be a full frame model not earlier than 2nd half of 2010. K-7 is the current flagship and will stay so for a year or more.

GX30, on the other side, is APS-C. So, it is the K-7 disguised in GX20 clothing
06-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
An employee of Pentax in Colorado was kind enough to spend some time on this forum recently. You should read his posts.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/61649-there-will-no-k30.html
He said: "The original name for the K-7 was the K30. However, as developement rolled on, we realized that this camera was much more than a replacement to the K20D. Therefore, we decided to move to a different number."

1) It only means that the K-7 was not called K30, it does not say that there will never be another model called K30.

2) When people talk about a K30 here or elsewhere they refer to a hypothetical model with higher specs than K20D but same size of body, equal or higher specs than K-7 but larger body. Weather this will be called K30 or something completely different is another issue.

3) I talked with Pentax employes or read interviews with them before and usually they will not/cannot say anything ahead of the current or almost released model, either because they don't know what goes on in the development departments at Pentax, or because they aren't allowed. What if he said that there will be a big body-high spec Pentax within a year, they would lose in sale on the K-7 all those who would prefere a bigger model, but would otherwise settle with the K-7. Maybe someone form outside Pentax tries to do this now with this rumor, but they would hardly do it themself.
06-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
They do come very close to all the rumored specs of the K-7 that wre NOT true..
Agree...that should tell us something(?)...

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Well... Samsung?

Aren't they developing a lineup for their NX cameras?
Are they? Perhaps...or paying some 3rd party manufacturer. Historically, there are much less lens manufacturers than people may think, because many brands have baught rebaged lenses. Making lenses is not that easy, developing a whole sortiment of exchangeable lenses for a new mount is not that easy for a company that has so little own experience on making lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Samsung have been pretty clear that they will produce the lenses for the NX by themselves so it seems that they have already done that to some extent.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunny Gear Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunny Gear Quote
This is old news. The only thing they clearly says is that it is not a K mount but a new Samsung mount and that it is not Pentax K mount glass (which should be obvious considering the large difference in registration distance).

I know I may sound NX negative in many threads, but it is only when peopla are jumping to conclusions on what new glass it will have and how they will be able to use their old glass. We now far to little yet. Besides this, I welcome NX. I think it is far better that Samsung follow this thread than directly competing with Pentax on K mount DSLRs, but that they share money and sensors between Pentax DSLRs and Samsung EVILs. I also think that I will be much more likely to buy an NX than a 4/3rd camera since it will be using a larger APS-C sensor.
06-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OIS = Optical image stabilisation. Not even a correct name, because it is sensor shift and not done through optics!
That also made me suspicious about this rumor, actually. Could be a translation error, (or just as opposed to some digital stabilization) but it's more likely Samsung would stress that it was in-body. 'Optical's' the buzzword for other brands, and OIS is the 4/3rds system brands' P&S image stabilization's name.

And, I agree, Douglas, on the crop factor on an NX. If I had need of a camera like that, it'd make any Canon FD adapter (Or a K-mount one) a lot more useful to me.
06-30-2009, 09:55 PM   #133
Veteran Member

That also made me suspicious about this rumor, actually. Could be a translation error, (or just as opposed to some digital stabilization) but it's more likely Samsung would stress that it was in-body. 'Optical's' the buzzword for other brands, and OIS is the 4/3rds system brands' P&S image stabilization's name.

And, I agree, Douglas, on the crop factor on an NX. If I had need of a camera like that, it'd make any Canon FD adapter (Or a K-mount one) a lot more useful to me.
My GX-10 also has OIS written on it.
07-01-2009, 03:39 AM   #134
Veteran Member

I believe it's only labeled as OIS simply to differentiate it from electronic stabilization. Seeing how Samsung is better-known with camcorders (where OIS and EIS are prevalent), I think they simply carried over their branding from their line of camcorders.

It's probably their way of saying "We're not cheating on stabilization. This is not electronic, and certainly not a smoke-and-mirrors-type of feature."
07-01-2009, 03:53 AM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I believe it's only labeled as OIS simply to differentiate it from electronic stabilization.
+1

btw, it is optical. Optics ends the moment a photon hits the sensor and the sensor is shifted before. If you shift a lens with respect to a sensor, it doesn't matter which end does move, actually.