Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #31

How reliable is photorumors.com? If these specs are true, then Samsung is about to release an almost perfect DSLR (other than the "Samsung" label of course).

Prog.

06-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
1. It won't. 2. Buy lenses with QSF if you're in such a rush.
How do you know that? And what has QSF has to do with AF speed? When AF works properly, you don't need QSF anymore anyway.
06-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #33
Veteran Member

3. Anything you buy will depreciate 30 to 40% the second you buy
only if you are buying @ MSRP as soon as it is released... which is not a big issue for somebody who does photography for a living, the rest can wait for some time and buy it cheaper... my loss for K10D and K20D was < 10% (taking inflation into account too and the fact that I sold both with MF screens installed).
06-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #34
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It would be very interesting and I think a good thing if Samsung finally released a dslr that wasnt just a rebadged Pentax. Double SD card slots would be very cool.

06-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Exaples

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
For example?
Size. Weight.

Other things not mentioned are horizon leveling, sensor adjustments. It's actually not fair to compare as the Pentax manual has been released and the Samsung info. is just rumours. Any further listing of things the K-7 has, the GX30 may or not have as well.

Last edited by Mr. The Guy; 06-28-2009 at 11:36 PM.
06-28-2009, 11:20 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Pentax vs. Samsung

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
How do you know that? And what has QSF has to do with AF speed? When AF works properly, you don't need QSF anymore anyway.
Educated guess.

QSF allows for more creative control, and, can be faster when your camera becomes an extension of your eyeballs. Marginal spec. differences are irrelevant if you know your camera intimately. I'll be taking pictures with, and learning how to use, my K-7 when you're waiting for your larger, bigger camera to arrive.

I once read, and do believe, that switching camera brands means that you lose 6 months of top productivity while you learn the peculiarities of a new system. From Pentax to Samsung I would expect that to be much shorter though. But, the menuing will be different.

Every time I buy non-Pentax equipment I end up regretting it. I have only Pentax lenses and view the combination of the entire 'system' to be more important than specifications. Even if the Samsung camera specs better, I don't care because the gestalt just won't be there. Horses for courses...
06-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #37

These rumored specs say Kaf 2 mount, now, if it were the uncrippled Kaf2 mount, that would make it a killer for many long-time pentaxians (and raise the price of M and K glass)

06-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #38
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Size. Weight.
A lot of us like K10D/20D size and weight. Tastes differ.
With battery-grip K-7 is the same.
06-28-2009, 11:43 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by swhang Quote
So I just read today specs for the Samsung GX30. It's comparable to the K7, but it trumps it in the ways below.

Samsung GX30 specifications: built-in GPS, double SD slots, AMOLED display | Photo Rumors

- faster at 6fps
- built in GPS and Wi-Fi
- 3.0 AMOLED tilt and swivel screen
- double SD slots

It's exciting, but now it makes the decision for the K7 all the more difficult! I had a K10, bought a K20 a week ago, but returned it with the intention of getting a K7 after a ton of research.

But now the GX30. Ah! The stress again!
Nice rumor but it's hard not to call BS on this one... we'll now for sure in a week from what I gather but it would indeed be a hard blow to Pentax if it was true and it doesn't really make sense to compete with your partner the hard way.

A Samsung FF would make more sense as it would not be a direct competitor to Pentax lineup and could lift Samsung's shaky reputation in the DSLR business (or not if it's a flop!)...
06-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #40
Inactive Account

If it is true, then I would wonder when the hell samsung has the ability to develop such mechanism?
0.95x magnification? That means a different pentaprism from K-7, so samsung has the ability to develop a pentaprism now?
High continue shooting 6fps? So samsung is able to implement their own design of shutter and mirror box mechanism now?

All these are the main barriers for the electronic companies who want to play in the DSLR market. K-7 comes from many years of improvement model by model, not to mention Pentax is one of the most prestigious camera makers and the patents they've developed in decades. So if Pentax make these for them, they make that to beat their own newest model?:ugh:

Last edited by yakiniku; 06-29-2009 at 12:02 AM.
06-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
A Samsung FF would make more sense as it would not be a direct competitor to Pentax lineup and could lift Samsung's shaky reputation in the DSLR business (or not if it's a flop!)...

If Pentax doesn't feel ready for a FF, who would produce the lenses for
the Samsung FF ?
06-29-2009, 12:22 AM   #42
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jazzyboy Quote
the Samsung FF ?
Any manufacturer. Tokina, Sigma, Cosina.

Samsung can make lenses itself - optical scheme from Schneider/Pentax, component objects - from Scheider/Hoya or oem manufacturer, assembly - Samsung.

Last edited by ogl; 06-29-2009 at 12:40 AM.
06-29-2009, 12:23 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jazzyboy Quote
the Samsung FF ?
SAMSUNG itself. they need a lens of their own if they want to compete in the dslr market. it's same with CPUs. they don't just build processors but also a motherboard that it would fit into.
06-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I'd be surprised if OLED technology has reached the point where color shift doesn't occur over time due to the different lifetimes of the polymers making up each color (RGB). For a color-essential application like photography, it doesn't make much sense...
06-29-2009, 12:35 AM   #45
wll
Veteran Member

Wow, a few killer features !

The tilt & swivel monitor, duel SD slots, and the Wi-Fi are awsome.

wll