Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
RaduA
Guest




K-7 in Japanese Top Ten of sales

For the last week (up to 28th) although it was launched on Friday 26th in only 3 days of sales K-7 body only made it on 8th and the K-7 kit is on 13th place.
K-m only made it up to 11th place one week and no Pentax model broke into top ten in the last year since I watch weekly the survey.

Link: ??????????? | ??? | ??????????? BCN?????

Radu

06-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member
*isteve's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, England
Posts: 1,187
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
For the last week (up to 28th) although it was launched on Friday 26th in only 3 days of sales K-7 body only made it on 8th and the K-7 kit is on 13th place.
K-m only made it up to 11th place one week and no Pentax model broke into top ten in the last year since I watch weekly the survey.

Link: ??????????? | ??? | ??????????? BCN?????

Radu
Well spotted. Looks like Pentax did their home market research well. Certainly bodes well for the immediate future.

Whats far MORE interesting is that all the cameras above it are entry or low-end DSLRs, not enthusiast premium models. I wonder if the 50D ever reached 8th place?
06-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
RaduA
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Well spotted. Looks like Pentax did their home market research well. Certainly bodes well for the immediate future.

Whats far MORE interesting is that all the cameras above it are entry or low-end DSLRs, not enthusiast premium models. I wonder if the 50D ever reached 8th place?
I don't recall what variant (I think 50D + 18-200) was even on 4th or 5th close to its launch. IMHO the real test will be in the next few weeks and if the K-7 will stay constantly in top 10 at least with one variant it will be a very big performance for Hoya. Also let's see the results for next week the first full week of sales (if they have enough cameras and didn't sold out like I heard some reports on this forum).

Remember that they didn't launched yet the dual kit version (IMHO the best in bang for the buck of all three).

Radu
06-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member
*isteve's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, England
Posts: 1,187
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
I don't recall what variant (I think 50D + 18-200) was even on 4th or 5th close to its launch. IMHO the real test will be in the next few weeks and if the K-7 will stay constantly in top 10 at least with one variant it will be a very big performance for Hoya. Also let's see the results for next week the first full week of sales (if they have enough cameras and didn't sold out like I heard some reports on this forum).

Remember that they didn't launched yet the dual kit version (IMHO the best in bang for the buck of all three).

Radu
I think if HOya can sell every camera they make and have a full order book going forward for several months they will be very very happy, whatever the market share.

06-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
RaduA
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
I think if HOya can sell every camera they make and have a full order book going forward for several months they will be very very happy, whatever the market share.
I recall that they want to make 20K k-7 a month which IMO is a huge amount for an expensive Pentax model.

Radu
06-29-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,845
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
For the last week (up to 28th) although it was launched on Friday 26th in only 3 days of sales K-7 body only made it on 8th and the K-7 kit is on 13th place.
K-m only made it up to 11th place one week and no Pentax model broke into top ten in the last year since I watch weekly the survey.

Link: ??????????? | ??? | ??????????? BCN?????

Radu
Thanks for the info. And for following it weekly, so the rest of us can benefit.

And I agree, good work by Hoya/Pentax
06-29-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
and
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,471
I dont think thats very surprising, its a new camera lots of existing users wanting to upgrade have been waiting for it, so of course it gets a boost in the start, the real challenge is to see if it will sell beyond that, beyond existing users upgrading, can it attract new users and still be in the top 10 in 6 months time
06-29-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Reportage's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 739
now just have to see...is there a top 10 returns in japan?

06-30-2009, 04:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member
mattdm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,964
Since it doesn't combine different kit combinations, this list is less useful than it could be otherwise.
06-30-2009, 04:57 AM   #10
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 84
And beats the Nikon D90

Did you notice it beat out the Nikon D90? I think that is where the competition is really.
06-30-2009, 07:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Since it doesn't combine different kit combinations, this list is less useful than it could be otherwise.
+1

Thank you RaduA for following this. But these weekly BCN rankings are fluctuating like hell, they don't guote numbers and don't combine kits.

Otherwise, I would have said that in launch week, a new model should score 1st.

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
I recall that they want to make 20K k-7 a month which IMO is a huge amount for an expensive Pentax model.
I judge the market share for the K-7 to be 10k units a month (judging the Pentax market share from recent statements and assuming that 1/3 of sales within Pentax going to K-7). So, a 20k production is a safe bet for the first six months. After that, they can readjust based on the given sales figures.
06-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #12
RaduA
Guest




Since I started to follow this weekly top I never seen a Pentax/Hoya camera in the top 10. The best that the k200D did was 12th place and K-m was 11th in one week (for the dual kit combo). Yes, not combining all the variants it is somewhat misleading but in the end this is the case for all the other brands/models. I don't think Hoya still has their forecasted volumes as they just started to make the camera and they will launch it globally these days but like I said before I guess the following month(s) trends will say much more than this first appearance. I still think that the kit and dual kit versions will stay bestsellers for some time and the body only will slowly go down in rankings.
I never seen an "upper class" camera to become no. 1 in sales regardless of brand or any other factor not even in it's debut week. In the times when bcn kept this statistics daily they had for the first 10 places the exact percentages and the "el cheapo" Canikon from the top place had over 25-30% and the second ECC had usually more than 20% so no mid/top level camera cannot challenge that. In fact I remember that top 10 cameras accounted most of the time for over 75-80% of the total sales and the rest of 90 (in those time the top was over 100, now it's only 80 places) cameras struggled with bellow 2% tops and some with under 0.1%.

Anyway if the trend will stay I guess Pentax will be the sole brand with a vast sales superiority of the premium models vs. the entry level ones!

Radu
06-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member
*isteve's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, England
Posts: 1,187
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
+1

Thank you RaduA for following this. But these weekly BCN rankings are fluctuating like hell, they don't guote numbers and don't combine kits.

Otherwise, I would have said that in launch week, a new model should score 1st.
Not when your market share is only 3%

I dont think even the K10D did this well.
06-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
Banned




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: China
Posts: 55
K10D was in top 10.
K200D and K-m in top 20.
07-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #15
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 74
BCN June 2009 Japan Sales Ranking:
http://bcnranking.jp/news/0907/090702_14516.html

Brief translation:
Before the summer sales, new cameras from Canon & Nikon start replacing their old models. The ranking is basically identical to last month's.
There are also two highly expected new cameras: Olympus E-P1 & Pentax K-7 which score 11 and 13 place at this month's ranking from pre-ordering. We will see how they do in July, when they are actually on sale at shops.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-7, pentax news, pentax rumors, sales, ten, week
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-5 enters Japanese sales rankings gazonk Pentax News and Rumors 65 11-10-2010 01:29 PM
What is the Top Ten Zoom Lenses? rodfs Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 04-03-2010 07:20 PM
K-7 cracks the top 10 in sales imtheguy Pentax News and Rumors 39 09-15-2009 07:10 AM
Japanese DSLR Sales Figures for One Year RiceHigh Pentax News and Rumors 103 01-27-2008 11:42 AM
K10D is the first of the "top ten cameras" bc_the_path Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 10-08-2007 04:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:13 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top