Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax WR Lenses now available, K-7 on stock already?

ok, let me just spread the news that the Pentax WR lenses are now available in B.C., Canada. I just came by to some gadget shops today and saw the lenses on the shelves being sold. I took a closer look at the 18-55 WR. it was being sold at 230 CAD but actual retail price is 260 in reality because of the BS fees. the lens is sturdy and definitely tight to weather conditions. a red rubber thing is banded at the rear of the lens which I think serves as a tight internal sealing. the exterior coating of the lens body seems to be rough and I see traces of probably an anti-wet composite which wouldn't make any liquid to stick or dry on the body (sorry Im not a chemist but I see the difference compared to the previous kit lenses). and it's made in Vietnam btw, if you guys wanted to know where it came from.

the lens is light as usual and made out of hard plastic. basically it's a kit lens with a weather-proof sealing. I dunno what the IQ is since I didn't test it. the lenses comes with a box with a description of WR at the bottom and has a logo "sealed" at the right upper corner of the box.

anyway, I believe these lenses arrived here last week, probably during the weekends, since the salesperson that I talked to, told that they just put them up today. my thought is, if the lenses are already here, then there is a big possibility that the K-7 came with the shipment as well. I'd expect that the K-7 would be in the shelves within this week. what a treat.

anyway, here's a quick snapshot of what I am talking about. sorry for the poor IQ !!! enjoy !

Attached Images

06-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The official launch date in Japan was June 27th, which has passed. Is there a separate official launch date for the rest of the world? If not, why would they not put the hot items on the shelf asap if they already have it? Why risk losing potential customers by not doing so? I don't know if that makes sense.
06-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
The official launch date in Japan was June 27th, which has passed. Is there a separate official launch date for the rest of the world? If not, why would they not put the hot items on the shelf asap if they already have it? Why risk losing potential customers by not doing so? I don't know if that makes sense.
could be because they are still in the inventory and try to figure out how much they would sell 'em. it's more like hoarding actually. then release it when the demand is too high to maximize profit by selling it high as well. anyway, the WR lens on display is a good sign IMO, and could be an indication that a camera came with those. probably they are trying to do a last minute sale on other dSLRs before they drop their prices when the K-7 gets on display. I still see them sell the K20D at 900 CAD btw. so that could be a factor.
06-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lenses did not come with any cameras, I work for a retailer in western canada. We received 18-55 WR and 50-200 WR last week, K-7 has not even arrived to our distribution centre (from Pentax, as of yesterday) yet.

06-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
The lenses did not come with any cameras, I work for a retailer in western canada. We received 18-55 WR and 50-200 WR last week, K-7 has not even arrived to our distribution centre (from Pentax, as of yesterday) yet.
Mock - what retailer do you work for in Edmonton? Do you have any kind of ETA? I'm getting anxious!

Mark
06-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I'm planning to buy a K7... when the prices drop below C$800 or so.
06-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Walked into the London Drugs here in PG today and what do they have "on sale" but a K20 for CDN $999.00. Yes, LD seems to be about 300 bucks higher than the internet sites. But then you do get a good warranty at LD.

06-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
I'm planning to buy a K7... when the prices drop below C$800 or so.
then you have to wait til next year.
06-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Walked into the London Drugs here in PG today and what do they have "on sale" but a K20 for CDN $999.00. Yes, LD seems to be about 300 bucks higher than the internet sites. But then you do get a good warranty at LD.
They were on sale at 899 a month or so back.
06-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
They were on sale at 899 a month or so back.
I think it depends on the branch. one branch sells something cheaper compared to the other one. probably because it's an old stock or more of clearance sales. I can still remember the 40mm being sold at 300 last march. and now it costs almost double compared when it was being sold a couple of months ago. guess we need to let this price hike pass for now.