Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #16

I for one am not buying a K-7 because of the new lens prices. The camera stores are stocking less Pentax gear every day, Pentax has no reps to promote their products in stores and their prices are outrageous considering their position in the market.

I will keep my K20D for a while but am thinking of moving to Canon unless the K-7 has amazing AF, which so far it doesn't seem it has. At today's prices I can sell my FA* and A* lenses and pretty much fund my switch to Canon FF and get the fast AF I have been wanting with every Pentax DSLR I have purchased.

Tom

07-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Back on April 1st, they raised the prices of lenses in Canada, I started to really look at the other brands.

Peter's comments, really hit the nail on the head. I am still bitter about what I percieve as price gouging.

Now, since the BIG increase some of the prices have dropped (ie DA*50-135), but it will still cost me $1000.00 more to buy the three FA ltds now then pre April 1st. When Pentax tells me that These three lenses went from $2000.00 to $3000.00 due to the CAD/YEN exchange, I smell BS.

The only thing I can do about the price gouge is to not buy new Pentax lenses. So instead I bought a Canon film body and a Nikon film body (Nikon body is still in the mail). The time I have spent with the Canon body has really been an eye opener. I really like the Canon.

So, I'm now a multi system user. It would not be a major stretch for me to pick up a used 40D, and then a D200 and see if I like Canikon DSLR's.

Thats the thing with having access to the internet. I can easily buy and sell gear, check prices, compaire features, read reviews (written by users), and discuss photography with others. I really do not have that "locked into" a camera system feel. I also have found I am alot less brand loyal then I used to be.
07-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
The old pricing policy drove Pentax out of business.
Oh yes, Pentax may have its faults but it is certainly no bad stuff but believe ot or not, people did not take Pentax seriously because of low prices....
"Cheap can't be good". My storeowner told me that people rather spend more on a plasticky body that is more expensve...
07-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I've pretty much decided against the K7 after looking at some fixed focal length lens prices online.

Can you tell me why you would prefer the Cannon over the Nikon? I just cancelled my K7 pre-order. I am now open to either brand. I'm a bit more familiar with Nikon having owned a N90S body a long time ago.

Thanks!

07-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
The old pricing policy drove Pentax out of business. Now, we are seeing its true value. We've known we've been getting good value for years... Too bad. First single malt scotch, now camera equipment.
by out of business do you mean from "nobody" in the dslr market to somebody who gets a first page coverage of the new camera they released? you honestly believe that the way to do business for pentax and make money is to have no customers? there are people here who have "sold" more pentax gear than most shop clerks (me included), and now are thinking of dropping everything and switching to another brand, you honestly believe the way to go for pentax is to wipe their corporate arse with all their background and tradition as a camera maker for photographers, with reasonable prices and excellent quality, drive all the "loyalists" to the competition and try to build a customer base out of thin air, based on the "leica model"?

sounds like a winning move to me..

edit: look at what people are saying in this thread if you don't get it yet. even the k-7 is worthless because of the lens prices, and it really wouldn't matter how good it was, unless you had unlimited funds.
07-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #21
emr

What has the market share of Pentax been in DSLRs? < 5% ? It seems they're planning for a solid 0.5-1% share with the new pricing. BTW, I sure hope the company is reading forums like this. There is quite a number of users who are rethinking K-7 purchase due to the lens pricing.
07-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

What really got my attention:

Prices from Aden Camera:

K20D $1099 (sale price $949)
FA 31 LTD $1399 (sales price $1120)
FA 43 LTD $949 (sale price $760)
FA 77 LTD $1049 (sale price $840)

Total: $4496.00 (sale price $3669)

Now that the K-7 is out (same lenses but with K-7 cost)

Total: $4996 (sale price $4269)

D300 $1799 (sale price $1579)
AF-S 24-70 f2.8 $2099 (sale price $1919)

Total $ 3898 ($3498)

So Pentax "savings" based on sale prices:

K20 + FA ltd's -$201 (ie Pentax costs more)
K-7 + FA ltd's -$771

So with the extra $771.00 I could buy a couple of primes for days I want to travel light.

Sure this is an apple to oranges type comparison, but Nikon does not sell anything like the FA ltd's, and Pentax does not sell a full frame f2.8 zoom.

07-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dunno I think I'm th eonly one on the forums who think the world increase of glass is probably more then just a money making scheme by the evil office people at Hoya/Pentax. I have no problem with the price increases but that may be because I don't have LBA. Also it just means you have to be more creative in saving yourself $ like self employment business assets at tax time.
07-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #24
AM2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
I dunno I think I'm th eonly one on the forums who think the world increase of glass is probably more then just a money making scheme by the evil office people at Hoya/Pentax. I have no problem with the price increases but that may be because I don't have LBA. Also it just means you have to be more creative in saving yourself $ like self employment business assets at tax time.
I agree, everyone seems to ignore the rising inflation and collapsing world economy all around them.
07-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AM2 Quote
I agree, everyone seems to ignore the rising inflation and collapsing world economy all around them.
not to mention the sunspots and the ozone layer and..

seriously, have you been reading what people are saying? there are even pro's who have to consider the fact that, even if they already have everything they need, they need a sustainable source of glass and gear in general. think about it..

nanok, sick of "the crisis" straw man. give me a break.
07-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't really think much of the comparison, though, really, the equation really changes from 'Hey, this stuff I can *have* eventually, to "Looks like I'm doing without."

The whole 'being on a whole other level for the money' factor is really the prime reason to go Pentax, and the K-7's cool, but is it *that* cool?

Of course, it'll probably only allow Canon and Nikon to raise *their* prices again, so I wouldn't expect too much, but it's certainly not going to be making used Nikons seem any less appealing if the cost is the same by the time it's my upgrade time.
07-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #27
Inactive Account

I think i have to post-pone my K-7 order a bit with the prices rising now since i would need to get a 16-50/2.8 at least and i dont like sigma (althought they have the 17-70, but probably cant compete with the quality of Pentax) and i found a piece for around 600€ and i'll probably need to order this one now (If some one knows a better price, pls pm me or write here).

Btw, forgot to mention the price for the 16-50/2.8 is around 1000€ here in Finland.

Last edited by jah3; 07-01-2009 at 01:14 PM.
07-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #28
AM2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
not to mention the sunspots and the ozone layer and..

seriously, have you been reading what people are saying? there are even pro's who have to consider the fact that, even if they already have everything they need, they need a sustainable source of glass and gear in general. think about it..

Pros do need a constant source of glass but not on a "want" basis, but on a "need" basis. And they don't usually worry about a price increase as much as they worry about whether the work they do will end up paying for the gear they are looking to buy - in a reasonable amount of time - or not. I know because I've been one, these days only part of my income comes from photography, the rest is from web-design.

I have been reading what people are saying and no offense to anyone, but it mostly boils down to addicts complaining about price rises on their next "fix".
07-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote

Look around you..people are losing their jobs. This financial crisis is not a figment of your imagination.

Pentax is the last of the camera manufacturers to raise their prices. Canon and Nikon did it already. Sony and Oly are always overpriced. I wonder what their calculators are saying now! If anything, prices should be going down in a crisis to stimulate buying. I for one, would love a K7 and a DA15 but my wallet can't justify it right now.
07-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #30
Veteran Member

The price increase affects the pros, the amatures, those with LBA, and those new to DSLR's.

The big change it creates is that Pentax is no longer a "best value brand". Pentax's price structure is almost the same as Nikon and Canon. Some areas are cheaper, some are more. But the overall, the prices are close enough to be the same.

What about someone new to DSLR's, the decide that they are only going to use primes, and that all lenses bought will be FF so that in 3-5 years when a $1000.00 FF hits the shelf they will be ready?

Canon vs Pentax:

FF Canon vs FF Pentax
40D 1099 vs K20d 1099
28mm 289 vs 28mm 250 used
35mm 389 vs 35mm 640 fa
50mm 419 vs 50mm 270
100mm 689(macro) vs 100mm 599 (macro)
total 2885 vs total 2858

Almost the same cost. Now Pentax needs to sell its camera's features vs Canon's features.

And most people when they walk into a camera store will never see a Pentax.